Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM

287 posts, read 897,738 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving into my first house soon & it has all of the old single paned windows. My first thought was to change the windows out (when I can financially) but then I heard about a company called Intellifilm, which is suppose to produce a produce which keeps the heat (uv rays) out of the house. They say that double paned windows were designed more for the north, and to keep cold out.

Does anyone have any experience with using a UV film blocker in their house? I've heard of it for cars but not houses. And if so, is it any cheaper or any more worth wild then new windows? I am a single mother of two and can't afford to change out all of my windows. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM

351 posts, read 976,201 times
If you go with window film, you will want to get a reflective film, not a darkening film. A darkening film absorbs light and your windows will radiate the heat inside the house.

UV film means it will protect your interior (furniture, carpets, etc.) from fading. A purely UV film will not increase the efficiency of your windows. It just keeps your furniture from fading due to UV light. Heat rays are infrared (IR), not ultraviolet (UV).

Look for a film that rejects 95%+ infrared. If a salesperson tries to sell you UV protection for a solar heating problem, they probably don't know what they are talking about.

Here is some more info that might help:

Infrared Rejection « Window Film Online

Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
I'm originally from back east, and when moving here, I was appalled that builders here were still putting single pane windows in until the 1990s. We were ripping out double-pane aluminum windows 30 years ago in favor of vinyl or wood back east, and it was still a worthwhile upgrade.

That said - replacing single pane windows in a stucco house can be very expensive & isn't likely to pay off financially for a very long time. If you want to save some money quick & make a dent in your cooling bills - look at getting some insulation blown into yoour attic - there aren't many houses in the valley with enough insulation there - R49 is ideal, and many homes here still have R19. Blowing in 6" of cellulose to a 2000 sq ft house will likely come in under $1k, and you'll notice a difference in comfort and your utility bills immediately.

You should also have your ductwork checked for leaks & sealed - the average home loses 15% of the heated/cooled air you payed for into the attic because of leaky ducts. The best part - both of the electricity providers in town will pay a part of the bill to seal those ducts!

Window film isn't a bad thing, it's really nice to protect your furniture & keep your retinas from getting burnt when the sun is shining on that side of the house... but it isn't going to save you a pile of cash...

Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM

300 posts, read 952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
Hi, I'm moving into my first house soon & it has all of the old single paned windows. My first thought was to change the windows out (when I can financially) but then I heard about a company called Intellifilm, which is suppose to produce a produce which keeps the heat (uv rays) out of the house. They say that double paned windows were designed more for the north, and to keep cold out.

Does anyone have any experience with using a UV film blocker in their house? I've heard of it for cars but not houses. And if so, is it any cheaper or any more worth wild then new windows? I am a single mother of two and can't afford to change out all of my windows. Thanks!
It may make more sense to change the windows. Not only does it add value to your house, it reduces sounds from the outside, adds security and a low-e window will be more efficient.

I would like to know the cost of the film first. I was able to change my whole house from single to dual low-e for $3800. (6 windows and a patio door)

Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,783,730 times
Consider an attic fan. I changed my two west facing windows to dual-pane, low E for 83 USD each +tax. They were the 4 foot by 3 foot size. Jeld-wen 100 series meeting California standards. This is on a 66 yo stucco home--new Energy star front door was 99. Both jobs are advanced DIY.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 05-31-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area