Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,690 times

Advertisements

Hi! I just accepted a job offer in Phoenix, but I don't have a car and I don't think I will be able to afford one anytime soon. I grew up in Philadelphia and went to college in Pittsburgh, and I know very little about Phoenix or the southwest in general. Is this doable, or will I be completely miserable without a car? My office will be on the lightrail line, not too far from the Camelback Ave stop. Is this a decent neighborhood to live in? I have been advised from some people to live in Tempe near the lightrail. I am a recent college graduate and have heard that this area is a good place for young people. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

-Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,242,057 times
You could probably get by for a while - but will want a car sooner rather than later

When I moved out I didn't have my own car (didn't need on in Philly or the year I spent in Mpls)

The good thing is that you are working near a light rail stop - which will be a bit more reliable

Buses out here get less efficient when you add more transfers into your route

The Phoenix metro is like a giant sheet of graph paper - real nice grid layout ... local buses typically run for long stretches on the grid - encountering stop lights, accidents, backups, etc .... it's real easy to get off schedule

You'll be fine near the camelback stop - but it's not the best section of camelback

I would definitely suggest tempe if you don't have a car .... a good # of young people, the tempe orbit does a pretty good job moving people around tempe .... light rail to work or downtown for other options ..... cab wouldn't be as expensive if you wanted to go out in old town ... plus easier to hang out with people your age w/out having a car

I made it 10 months here before buying a car - I would definitely recommend saving up and looking for good private party deals (there are many to be had) .... you'll not only open up more of the metro, but more of the state (which given the diversity within this state I'm not sure how long I would be happy without being able to visit other parts)

Last edited by Finger Laker; 06-07-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,183,796 times
Yes, you can find a nice place to live near the Light Rail. The area around Camelback near the LR is actually pretty cool.

The LR is pretty limited, so you will just have to learn to use the bus lines if you want to go anywhere else.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,690 times
Thanks so much! As of right now, the job is only a 1-year commitment and after that I plan to move back to the northeast (unless I happen to fall in love with Phoenix!), so I really don't see myself getting a car while I'm there.

Right now I'm just trying to weigh my options and decide whether it's better to live within walking distance of my job or live in Tempe, which seems to be a more lively neighborhood, and have to commute. Hmmm.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlNal View Post
Thanks so much! As of right now, the job is only a 1-year commitment and after that I plan to move back to the northeast (unless I happen to fall in love with Phoenix!), so I really don't see myself getting a car while I'm there.

Right now I'm just trying to weigh my options and decide whether it's better to live within walking distance of my job or live in Tempe, which seems to be a more lively neighborhood, and have to commute. Hmmm.
My vote is for Tempe, especially if you don't plan to get a car or stay in the area beyond your contract. Tempe has more public transit options, as well as more people your age.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
My vote is for Tempe, especially if you don't plan to get a car or stay in the area beyond your contract. Tempe has more public transit options, as well as more people your age.
I'd second that opinion. Good luck on the new job!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,001,492 times
It's a tough place without a vehicle. During the summer especially. For one year you can make do if you're near light rail. The bus system here is miserable. I've seen more broken down buses here than anywhere I've lived. One of my co-workers did the bus for 5 years and he hated. Finally saved enough scratch for wheels.

There's no issues with the stops around Camelback. I walk around there a lot with no issues. It's just poor, rundown and there's not much to do. Tempe would be a viable option or a cheaper studio downtown near the stops along Central Avenue. If you end up in Tempe it takes roughly an hour to reach Camelback/19th Ave. Give or take a few minutes depending on what stop your place of work is off of. I ride up to Camelback/19th Ave frequently from my stop in Tempe.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
Why spend 1 hour getting to work (door to door), when you could live in Midtown--Central/thomas-osborne-IS-Campbell-Camelback? There is a young crowd in Phoenix, and an abundance of affordable apartments. There are actually three stops on Camelback.....I've been without a car for a while, even though I have a valid CDL B, in my wallet. Rehabbing my fourth home without a car. Just takes some planning. I've actually been on the back of a motorbike with an 80 pound bag of cement.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I've been without a car for a while, even though I have a valid CDL B, in my wallet. Rehabbing my fourth home without a car. Just takes some planning. I've actually been on the back of a motorbike with an 80 pound bag of cement.
Realistically, very few people would be willing to live like this.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
15% of households on the proposed 19th Ave. extension live without a car. I nice car usually says you have a lot of consumer debt. Some like to go to Apach Juntion; I prefer to fly around the World, as I have done four times in the last 6 years. Three of them for free. Saving up 97K, while working primarily as a Substitute Teacher/Bus Driver was no easy feat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area