Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM

7,199 posts, read 9,272,783 times

Advertisements

My advice would be to visit before hand if possible. Ride the rail, take a look along Camelback, Central and Tempe and see what you think.

Second, how do you feel about bicycles? Not saying to bike commute all the way to work, but it would let you easily move out a couple of miles from the light rail line. Depends on the job too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
15% of households on the proposed 19th Ave. extension live without a car. I nice car usually says you have a lot of consumer debt. Some like to go to Apach Juntion; I prefer to fly around the World, as I have done four times in the last 6 years. Three of them for free. Saving up 97K, while working primarily as a Substitute Teacher/Bus Driver was no easy feat.
Good foy you, but having a car doesn't mean that one has a "nice" car or has a lot of consumer debt. Good for you with what you've been able to do. To each his or her own.

To the OP--- I'd either go to Tempe, mainly for the additional public transit and other quality of life issues, or split the difference and come down Central a bit in Phoenix and see what you can find. You can get out to Tempe on the rail when you want to, and to downtown Phoenix when you want to as well. For a year, you could make it work.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,789,004 times
I went to Mill Ave. for the first time in 13 years about a month ago. A warm beer/puke smell exuding from the bars. Lots of beggars. The girl at Jack In the Box told me she sees them picked up in fancy cars at the end of the evening. The absolute worst street music, that I have ever heard--it's a cliquey, young persons place--I think it would have seemed cool if I was 17. If you were working over there, I would say go for it, but your not, and if you are in the Biltmore Area, (you didn't specify and CB is 20 miles long+), that is a nicely developed area with everything from Trader Joe's to a great place to bet the horses (Armadillo Grill). Probably the heart of the financial sector in The Valley. My best advice would be to not take advice from retirees or others, who don't have to commute or work.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
I would not even consider moving to Phoenix without a car. It would be like moving to Portland without a raincoat. You really need a car here.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,172,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
My best advice would be to not take advice from retirees or others, who don't have to commute or work.
Since this is an anonymous internet forum - you have no idea who is retired, who commutes, or who works.

To the o/p, you really need to come out and see for yourself before you make a decision.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,880,810 times
I would visit first to see if public transporation works where you want to live...some here just cut it down to glorify their investment or whatever....visit and make your own opinion, personally I would not go without a car....

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM

963 posts, read 2,304,541 times
Downtown Phoenix is quiet during the week, and a ghost town on the weekends. You will not enjoy it without a car. The Mill Avenue area in Tempe has a youthful vibe due to the big campus ASU has near there. Plenty of walkable restaurants, shopping, movies, etc., and you have a Metro Light Rail station. You can live in The Mill Ave. area without a car. However, I hope you can rent on weekends to get out and see Sedona, Jerome, Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, Tuscon, The Apache Trail, etc. All the stuff worth seeing requires a car.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Downtown Phoenix is quiet during the week, and a ghost town on the weekends. You will not enjoy it without a car. The Mill Avenue area in Tempe has a youthful vibe due to the big campus ASU has near there. Plenty of walkable restaurants, shopping, movies, etc., and you have a Metro Light Rail station. You can live in The Mill Ave. area without a car.
Downtown is actually bustling during the weekdays, but that is largely due to the influx of working people. After the sun goes down, it becomes pretty quiet, but there are a few hot spots to enjoy for late night dining & entertainment. Of course, during Suns & DBacks games, or when there is a concert going on, there will be a lot more people around at night. And living in or near downtown probably wouldn't require a car as much as elsewhere across the metro area.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM

235 posts, read 756,951 times
I just moved downtown, Central and Roosevelt, and it is pretty limited, I mean don't get me wrong, the light rail is very close. I live here with out a car, and coming from Portland Oregon, I'm very unhappy down here without a car. an 85 walk score does not get you much downtown. I would try to live closer to your work and a grocery, our closest grocery is about a mile away, and it makes doings large food pick ups almost impossible, especially in the heat. I wish my wife and I picked something a bit closer to the stores, instead we assumed Phoenix had a normal downtown.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 AM

235 posts, read 756,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
I just moved downtown, Central and Roosevelt, and it is pretty limited, I mean don't get me wrong, the light rail is very close. I live here with out a car, and coming from Portland Oregon, I'm very unhappy down here without a car. an 85 walk score does not get you much downtown. I would try to live closer to your work and a grocery, our closest grocery is about a mile away, and it makes doings large food pick ups almost impossible, especially in the heat. I wish my wife and I picked something a bit closer to the stores, instead we assumed Phoenix had a normal downtown.
I also must edit.. In Phoenix, nearly everyone owns a car. You have to consider where you will be living with out a car, because you will be sharing the streets. Usually when people do not own a car in Phoenix it is not by choice. You will run into some interesting folks walking all dazed and confused on a 115 degree day, and all you can see is stucco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area