Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
What fun are political debates if everyone agrees with you....seriously, its like growing up in Denver, and being a Bronco fan, how do you talk sports when everyone agrees with you....much more fun when its spicy.
It's also not fun when everyone disagrees with you. I'm not in favor of any city that leans too far in one direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
While I did live in Austin, I didnt live there long, but for a town of liberals, so called anyway, I felt extremely out of place. I am a liberal, a liberal that lived in Portland and Seattle for quite some time.
I agree with you 100%. Austin is fake liberal. People in Texas think Austin is liberal because compared to Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, it's liberal but it's definitely no more liberal feeling than Phoenix and definitely not as liberal as California and the West Coast. I feel Phoenix is more liberal than Austin despite the news headlines. Mormons are not Southern Baptists. They might be conservative but I've never experienced Mormons pushing their faith in your face and asking what church you go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
If you want a place with more liberal political leanings, move to central Phoenix. All of our representatives here (US House, state legislature, county supervisor) are liberal Democrats.
Agreed Central Phoenix is pretty liberal but there are pockets in the Valley that also have that feel. Ocotillo in Chandler also feels pretty liberal. Old Town and DC Ranch in Scottsdale also have a liberal vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They are getting ready to build one on the far NORTHWEST side, which is hardly the same demographic as people think Gilbert is. If they are building one in Gilbert, then it seems a logical location, together with the far northwest one on the opposite side of the Valley. (building two at the same time in the same metro area makes them a lot less rare, too)
They are building it in that location due to space. It's still being built to attract people in Gilbert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Mormons pioneered the Salt River valley (Phx area). If that bothers you, you better look elsewhere - outside the mountain west.
This is hyperbole. While many state leaders might be Mormon, at the local level, it varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm especially fond of the Arcadia neighborhood where you can actually WALK to a lot of places, grab coffee in a sidewalk cafe, easily get to a library or a museum.
Agreed, Phoenix unfairly gets overlooked. People assume you have to live in one of the suburbs and that Phoenix is not good enough. I love Arcadia. I really love the development in central Phoenix in general. My favorite restaurants are in this area not Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,680,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I've lived in very liberal places and I consider this state to be far too conservative for my tastes. It wouldn't matter what part of the Valley I lived in. This has never been the place for me and, yes, politics do dictate policy and services so I place a high priority on politics.
Yup. And, for people who moved here years ago, the changes have been astonishing to watch. I originally came from a "moderate" area, though the state as a whole was blue. But, the politics of a place affect every day life in many ways....

Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Yup. And, for people who moved here years ago, the changes have been astonishing to watch. I originally came from a "moderate" area, though the state as a whole was blue. But, the politics of a place affect every day life in many ways....
This thread is about Gilbert, specifically, not Arizona in general. Please steer the conversation back on topic. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area