Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,378 times

Advertisements

I live on flood irrigation in Gilbert. The mosquitos are waaaaaaay out of control since the begginning of june. Me and my family are from Mississippi and the mosquitos were never this bad. Besides moving away(which is in future plans anyway) what can I do to help my family they fil up the house and I cant keep them out. they are the size of flies aaargh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Wow that sucks, never knew anyone had mosquitoes here in the Phoenix area...must be the flood irrigation thing. I see maybe one or two mosquitoes per year?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Wow that sucks, never knew anyone had mosquitoes here in the Phoenix area...must be the flood irrigation thing. I see maybe one or two mosquitoes per year?
It has to be the flood irrigation. Never saw a mosquito in PHX till I moved here. But than again my area is quite rural by PHX standards im off val vista and ocotillo

Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Mosquitos can be a pain in the butt, Matt.

Thankfully, we don't have any down here but, if we did, the first thing I would do is spray my home thoroughly and then leave for an hour or two.

Don't forget to double dose around the doors and windows to discourage those little buggers. Also, if possible, you may want to add a mosquito trap outdoors and stock up on some mosquito repellent.

Good Luck

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Call the town offices and ask if there is any mosquito fogging planned this summer (actually, it may be the county health dept that does that, for West Nile issues). It may not be flood irrigation that's the entire problem, as in that part of the Valley there are other sources of longer-standing water. (stock tanks, green pools, any number of things).

Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 PM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I live on flood irrigation in Gilbert. The mosquitos are waaaaaaay out of control since the begginning of june. Me and my family are from Mississippi and the mosquitos were never this bad. Besides moving away(which is in future plans anyway) what can I do to help my family they fil up the house and I cant keep them out. they are the size of flies aaargh
The difference between AZ and MS/AL, is that in AZ they don't have sprayer trucks to take care of the mosquitos. I think thats the reason you seems to notice more.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
Actually, it's the county that handles the mosquito fogging. Check out their web site here: Home :: Vector Control :: Mosquito Information :: Mosquito General Info

There is a phone number and an on line complaint form you can fill out. They will come out and put a trap out to see if you have enough of a problem to spray.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Use DEET. AZ mosquitoes are mostly the type that transmit West Nile virus. AZ has the nations highest West Nile infection rate even given the lower number of skeeters here.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 PM

512 posts, read 947,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Use DEET. AZ mosquitoes are mostly the type that transmit West Nile virus. AZ has the nations highest West Nile infection rate even given the lower number of skeeters here.
Thanks for the tips! Having just moved here, West Nile is the last thing I thought would be in AZ. We live near Dobson Ranch and my grandson is being eaten alive for the last two weeks.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Use AZPams advice and call the County Vector Control.
Home :: Vector Control :: Mosquito Information :: Mosquito General Info

They can help find the source of the problem. The flood irrigation water soaks in and dries up in a few days. I don't think that's long enough for mosquitoes to form.

Pools that are abandoned with long time standing water with algae forming are a huge source of the problems throughout the valley. The county will come out and put Gambusia (mosquito eating fish) in the pool to eat the larvae before they hatch.

Mosquito larvae, must live in water from 7 to 14 days depending on water temperature. They eat algae and small organisms which live in the water.

Since the irrigation water will normally soak in and/or evaporate within a few days, the water is less likely to be standing long enough for larvae to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area