Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,597,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
That's why the temperate Califorinia coast is just a quick flight or a half-day's drive away.

Lots of families like to take vacations to California and elsewhere in the summertime where it's cooler and there are more fun things to do.
And it's an easy way to have a cheaper vacation during fall or spring breaks when you aren't at peak tourist seasons. Calif schools usually don't start until Sept and are on just a different enough schedule that a lot of the amusement parks aren't as crowded when we have our breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
So how is August to May much different than September to June? .... it's pretty much just shifted a month

Typically the calendars out here go an extra week at most from other parts of the nation on the sept/june schedule .... that's about it
I'm taking the difference in the seasons into consideration.

May and June are warm to hot here but still tolerable, July and August are pretty darn miserable, and if I was a child bored out of my mind I'd want to take an extended vacation to get away from the heat.

There were times in Michigan when our schools didn't let out until later in June but we had snow days that tended to delay the schoolyear.

June is still more of a spring month in most places, even here the weather is a little more pleasant than in July and August.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
How do parents and students like the year round schedule? Many years ago, I think, my school district back home in Michigan flirted with that idea.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
And it's an easy way to have a cheaper vacation during fall or spring breaks when you aren't at peak tourist seasons. Calif schools usually don't start until Sept and are on just a different enough schedule that a lot of the amusement parks aren't as crowded when we have our breaks.
I understand your point, and we are getting off topic but I'm just thinking in my own mind how miserable it is here in July and August to make children start back to school.

Another thing to think about is the traffic, I enjoy having the streets and freeways a little less congested in the summertime during my commute times.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,286,866 times
Most districts it's really not that more of a "year around" schedule than most other states - it just starts earlier/ends earlier

I agree that August is more miserable than June here and the last week of May ....... which is why if I were a kid I would much rather have that time off than August and the first week of september

The monsoon hasn't kicked in yet, you can still get some nice morning/nights and July is available for out of state getaways

You also get an extra week off during the core school year when the weather is nice as well in most circumstances

Where I grew up in NY, summer was just starting to really kick in when school was getting out ... July, August and early September were ideal to have off, so it worked out as well

However, even in those climates we went to school when the weather was less than ideal ..... going to school on days where it was icy, cold, gray or snowy is no better than sitting in a classroom here in august when it's warm and a bit humid with an occasional rain

It's just different

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,282,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
That's why the temperate Califorinia coast is just a quick flight or a half-day's drive away.

Lots of families like to take vacations to California and elsewhere in the summertime where it's cooler and there are more fun things to do.
who can afford to fly to cali every time my kid wants to ride a bike and explore. Year round school would give my child more time during the year to be a kid, as you get longer breaks during the cooler seasons.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 AM

124 posts, read 662,866 times
In MN we start the day after labor day, and get out about june 10th...WAY too long for kids to be out of school IMO....leads to boredom and trouble. I wish and hope Scottsdale schools will go to year round school because that is where we are about to move to at the end of july.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,039,217 times
My son goes to Thunderbird High School (Glendale Unified) and his last day was May 25th. He goes back August 15th. They get a week off in October for fall break. Then a week off in March for spring break. He is never bored during the summer or school breaks because he usually plays JV baseball, (he actually missed summer baseball to work at the boy scout camp in Payson for the month of June), has 2 sessions of band camp, took a driver's ed class, has guitar lessons, has two AP classes that have summer assignments, is planning his Eagle Scout Community Service Project, obtained his Lifesaving certification while working at the camp, and still has plenty of time to play video games online with his friends. So if your kids are bored then find them something to do....

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM

60 posts, read 134,848 times
My kids start school on the 10th of August, which is a good thing, they will be much cooler there since I can't afford to have the A/C turned on at home

Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
In MN we start the day after labor day, and get out about june 10th...WAY too long for kids to be out of school IMO....leads to boredom and trouble. I wish and hope Scottsdale schools will go to year round school because that is where we are about to move to at the end of july.
I can't really agree, but aside from that I wonder how districts can afford year-round school with the education budget being severely slashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area