Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinInLaveen View Post
I live in the area around 51st Ave and Southern and have had terrible experiences here in Laveen in the past 7 months since I moved into my home. There are packs of juvenile delinquents roaming the neighborhood cursing and smoking pot at the local play area, and I am sure that we have section 8 renters throughout the neighborhood and they have no investment in keeping the area safe and clean. I am not a prejudiced person and happen to be of the race that I am speaking about, so with that said, there are many intimidating young black men hanging out in front of homes and businesses in the area and will actually swear at you and ask you “what the F*&^ are you looking at” if you happen to look in their direction. This is something we should not have to tolerate.

Now for the dangerous stuff…I have had my home and car vandalized, my home was burglarized in broad daylight just a few days before Thanksgiving and the police officer told me that Laveen IS NOT a good area in terms of property crime, he was out on many burglary calls in the same area, that same day.

Please look at the statistics this area of the South Mountain Precinct #425:

http://phoenix.gov/

When you look at the numbers compared to the rest of the beat, our area is much higher in property crimes than other areas of South Mountain. The policeman told me that we are under attack by the South Mountain gangs, poor Gila River reservation residents, and then we have the teenaged children of the section 8 renters that break into our homes looking for fast money. If and when they are caught these are the groups that they find are perpetrating most of these crimes, this is from an officer that works in the area all the time.

So, get an alarm, a gun and a big dog and hope they don’t target your home next. This area is going downhill fast!!!

But the houses are cheap and it's close to downtown and all the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 24,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
But the houses are cheap and it's close to downtown and all the action.
That makes it okay? So you are okay living in an area that is becoming overrun with criminal activities?

Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
Quote:
That makes it okay? So you are okay living in an area that is becoming overrun with criminal activities?
No sarcasm meter?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Not me!!! I rather pay more money and live in a better area, I was just saying why people choose Laveen. Is that why you bought there?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:46 AM

I am living with my mistake and posted here so that anyone thinking of moving to the area would know what truly lurks beneath the surface in Laveen. My point is that it is not okay for anyone to have to live under these conditions. No matter where they live. I bought in the area, because I thought that the area was nice and quiet, and it is on the surface, but the undesirables come into the area and victimize law-abiding people with no consequences and that is the true nature in the area at this point in time. Maybe if the police presence increases, this will change, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Sarcasm should be reserved for a less serious topic.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,573 times
Quote:
I am living with my mistake and posted here so that anyone thinking of moving to the area would know what truly lurks beneath the surface in Laveen. My point is that it is not okay for anyone to have to live under these conditions. No matter where they live. I bought in the area, because I thought that the area was nice and quiet, and it is on the surface, but the undesirables come into the area and victimize law-abiding people with no consequences and that is the true nature in the area at this point in time. Maybe if the police presence increases, this will change, but I am not going to hold my breath.
I feel your pain. I made the same mistake in Tolleson. I knew what I wasn't getting (good schools, lots of friendly neighbors), by moving there, but I didn't realize how a place that looked so promising could be so dangerous. Live and learn, and lose some money when it's all said and done, but hopefully be safe.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Have you guys been shot or mugged or something? Have your kids been molested or your house burglarized (that's a trick question because it happens in Gilbert and Chandler too)? I lived in South Phoenix (gasp!) when I first moved here. I did not do my homework and did not know it was a bad area. It was cheap and I could afford it. There was some bad stuff around, but none of it personally affected me at all - well, my lawnmower got stolen but that's it. Heck I used to stop at Keys Market for milk and bread (old timers will remember the name). I even got married to one of the south Phoenix natives. So is there anything bad actually happening to you or is it that you just don't like the "look" of your neighborhood?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Have you guys been shot or mugged or something? Have your kids been molested or your house burglarized (that's a trick question because it happens in Gilbert and Chandler too)? I lived in South Phoenix (gasp!) when I first moved here. I did not do my homework and did not know it was a bad area. It was cheap and I could afford it. There was some bad stuff around, but none of it personally affected me at all - well, my lawnmower got stolen but that's it. Heck I used to stop at Keys Market for milk and bread (old timers will remember the name). I even got married to one of the south Phoenix natives. So is there anything bad actually happening to you or is it that you just don't like the "look" of your neighborhood?
If you define "something bad" as only violent crime, I am all good. But what gives the ugly look is ugly people with ugly behaviors. If I hear gunshots in my neighborhood, I don't think "doesn't affect me personally". Is it comfortable walking a toddler through a park where 6 thugs are smoking weed right in the walkway? What about more neighbors who would steal from you than would say hello. But since my family and I haven't been shot, raped, or beaten, we feel we're livin large.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Sarcasm should be reserved for a less serious topic.
Sarcasm or not that's the reason why people buy there. It's cheap and it's close to downtown. Sorry you were duped. Ponderosa is correct though, crime happens all over and that includes Gilbert and more than anyone thinks but still in my opinion the better choice for schools and everything else.

Last edited by sheena; 12-10-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area