Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckM8 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Laveen probably has one of the best mixes of ethnicities in the city. Laveen has been picked by Tosco to set up a couple of their Fresh and Easy markets because of the "middle class" neighborhood. Things will get better as more stores and businesses are built in the area to attract more people...
Someone I was talking to yesterday stated that "there have been several HOME INVASIONS here so be sure you keep your garage door closed". To me, that is a testament to how nice the new neighborhoods are. Theives are probably thinking "Hey, they must have something to steal, lets go hit up THOSE neighborhoods!" After a while, it'll die down. Theives will begin to feel out of place when driving around casing. People will start to know their neighbors and recognize when a car isn't familiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 01:56 AM

267 posts, read 885,391 times
I can honestly say I actually LIKE Laveen and parts of South Phoenix. I enjoy the mixture of people. And I don't feel unsafe, at all.

My husband and I were staying with some friends last week in Laveen and decided to go for a bike ride at 10pm. We were gone for a good half hour and didn't feel unsafe at all.

I like walking in the Target in South Phoenix and seeing a mixture of ethnicities. I took note last week when I was there. I saw white, black, hispanic, asian and east indiana all going about their business and getting along fine.

When our house is finally finished we will take pride in the area. We are also glad we won't be living around snobby people who think they are too good for it. No offense to those who DO think they are too good for Laveen, but they're just not our type of people. So, not having to live around them makes us all the happier.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
I have lived in Laveen for over 25 years. Before the developers came, conquered and destroyed our area, it was: rural, safe, clean(except for those "country smells", which if you choose to live in the country you have to expect), and a good place to raise your kids. The only gangs were sheep (yes, sheep!) herds that were moved regularly from field to field. Most of the kids were into 4H and all the neighbors knew each other. People waved, spoke and helped in times of crisis. Anything posted on here by people who have lived here for a couple years is the opinions of those who have no idea what the real Laveen was like. Progress? Depends on your point of view. Change? Oh, most definitely.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM

45 posts, read 175,044 times
LET ME RANT......??? whats the racial make up of the so called "ghetto" area of laveen???? I personally am from the southside of chicago, cabrini green projects to be exact, and has never seen any other color than black in my neighborhood, Im talking gunshots every single night, we slept on the floor most nights because of stray bullets....but during those times of living there for 21 years of my life, ive never been robbed or shot, yet I have been in a couple fist fights, but they were worth it.....but anyways I moved to north minneapolis where people were saying stay away from this area because there's basically so much crime.......but after moving there I felt more safe than ever, yep I seen crime here n there in north mpls but it was nothing compared to what I came from.....didnt have to watch my back 24/7, didnt worry about what colors I wore, which way my hat was turned, or people randomly asking me what click i claim, and the best of all I got the chance to meet different races, white, asian, i mean everything as far as living in the same neighborhood with them, in chicago I only seen other races when i went downtown,...dont get me wrong it wasnt heaven in minneapolis, it has alot of crime, just not like I was used to as i said before......but crime is diff for everyone...but if laveen is anything like the southside of chicago then Ill pass, oh and yes im one of those section 8 people and i know how most people on that program trash there places but i was raised better than to **** where u sleep, im young with a family 2 girls and a boy, and want the best for them..."by the way Im moving to phoenix caused Im done having 6 months of winter, I hate the snow" but anyway I just want to find a nice place to raise my kids, without a whole lot of drama, I mean yes i could stay heer in minnesota but like I said I WILL NOT do another winter here lol so that out of the question............................so help me out phoenix folks....Ive been searching this forum for months now....I will be leaving minnesota the end of july, looking for something for august 08....peace

Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
We thought about moving to Laveen until we found out that nearly 65% of Laveen is rentals. Our family that lives there and has live there for many, many years has recently been having problems with car theft and burglary. They are actually getting ready to get out of there because of how downhill they have witnessed the city getting recently. So we went and checked out Avondale granted it is a little farther, but not more than 10 minutes when you get on the I-10 Avondale and Tolleson are also going to be better for your resale value, because they are both literally right off of the I-10, you get more house for your $$$, you are closer to major shopping plazas and PIR as well as the new cardinals stadium. No industrial or South Phoenix scary areas to deal with. We did not like the fact that anything on Southern and approx. 40th st and down is really bad area. Just take a look yourself and you WILL NOT want to be there. If you do you've got to be crazy or just plain not care. If you do then make sure you install a security system. Builers think they got a really good deal on their land and so they start building houses next to the ghetto and sure enough there's people out there that DO NOT care and so they buy a house and are SOL when they want to resell it. That area just doesn't attract the best of people. Especially when most of them are rentals. A few of the BRAND NEW houses we looked at that backed the borderline between that area were broken into. The A/C units were ripped out for the copper inside that people steal and sell, windows were broken, walls were banged out all kinds of crazy stuff that we never saw in any other city we looked at homes in. The only area that is really nice is anything around Dobbins where you are right off of South Mountain and some parts of Baseline, but even around 7th street to 7th ave is TRASH. It's very spotty which I don't like and is something you will want to think about when it comes time to resell your property. Join the Chamber of Commerce and go to meetings find out just what the city is planning on developing in your area. Cities will know about 10 years in advance what will be built in an area even before you see it pop up that's the best advice I have.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM
GHF

16 posts, read 43,747 times
We live in Oregon and want to move to AZ. My DH and I are outdoorsy people and love to ride horses, swim, and hike. We find that with Oregon's cold, damp winters we are inside too much and as we age, it will not add years to our lives to stay inside more than half the year. Also, our house payment and property taxes are very high and we need to look at reducing the payment for retirement.

We started late and have kids who are in high school or community college. Being near colleges is important. We are Anglo, as are our two sons, but our three daughters are from Asia. We currently do not live in a diverse area and also look at AZ for that. Our kids want to move there partly for diversity.

We are Christians but like a more lively type of church, and those are hard to find.

We have five horses. My direction is to use them in counseling with at-risk kids, so while I do not want to live in a hazardous area, I would like to live near enough that the kids can easily come to work with me and the horses, even if their parents cannot bring them. We will probably form a nonprofit so the kids do not have to pay.

We liked Gilbert, Surprise, Waddell, and Goodyear a lot. We never toured Laveen, not knowing about it. We hooked up w/a Realtor who sent us listings from Laveen and it looks like an area we could like. We do not mind cow manure odors, as we have that here if the wind blows the wrong way. We like quiet rural, but want to be close to shopping and services. Love the mountain views there!

What is the consensus for Laveen being a place that might suit us? What areas would be good for a family like ours w/horses? Does anyone know of a site that has pics of the downtown area of Laveen?
We want to be safe, but not exclusively isolated from kids that we can help. We have experience with kids who have behavior problems, low income, etc. and enjoy them. They really need people who enjoy them! Surprise seems too far away from things plus looks very white and middle class. Goodyear looks like it has a church we'd like (Skyway) and so does Laveen (Passages).

Any opinions are gladly solicited! Thank you to all who respond.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM

896 posts, read 268,367 times
As of now there is no "Downtown" Laveen, although they have plans for one in the future.

You will be able to find horse property that will suit you. Look south of Dobbins Rd. and north of Estralla between 27th ave and 51st ave.

If you are looking for diversity Laveen has it. I'd look more into the school system for your kids to ensure that's what you want for your kids.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHF View Post
We live in Oregon and want to move to AZ. My DH and I are outdoorsy people and love to ride horses, swim, and hike. We find that with Oregon's cold, damp winters we are inside too much and as we age, it will not add years to our lives to stay inside more than half the year. Also, our house payment and property taxes are very high and we need to look at reducing the payment for retirement.

We started late and have kids who are in high school or community college. Being near colleges is important. We are Anglo, as are our two sons, but our three daughters are from Asia. We currently do not live in a diverse area and also look at AZ for that. Our kids want to move there partly for diversity.

We are Christians but like a more lively type of church, and those are hard to find.

We have five horses. My direction is to use them in counseling with at-risk kids, so while I do not want to live in a hazardous area, I would like to live near enough that the kids can easily come to work with me and the horses, even if their parents cannot bring them. We will probably form a nonprofit so the kids do not have to pay.

We liked Gilbert, Surprise, Waddell, and Goodyear a lot. We never toured Laveen, not knowing about it. We hooked up w/a Realtor who sent us listings from Laveen and it looks like an area we could like. We do not mind cow manure odors, as we have that here if the wind blows the wrong way. We like quiet rural, but want to be close to shopping and services. Love the mountain views there!

What is the consensus for Laveen being a place that might suit us? What areas would be good for a family like ours w/horses? Does anyone know of a site that has pics of the downtown area of Laveen?
We want to be safe, but not exclusively isolated from kids that we can help. We have experience with kids who have behavior problems, low income, etc. and enjoy them. They really need people who enjoy them! Surprise seems too far away from things plus looks very white and middle class. Goodyear looks like it has a church we'd like (Skyway) and so does Laveen (Passages).

Any opinions are gladly solicited! Thank you to all who respond.
Laveen is not worth looking at.
Goodyear is way better choice.

Good luck.
Your fellow Oregonian.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
Default Love Laveen

Wow, I can't get over how a lot of these comments are really stereotypical and biased and probably the majority of them come from people who DO NOT live here. I was born in raised in NYC so I am familiar with what REAL crime is and I enjoy living in Laveen. Laveen is no different than any other part of town. There are bad areas in Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, etc. It is ridiculous to condemn an entire area because there may be some bad elements. There are million dollar homes in Laveen and to say that the entire area is crime filled is ridiculous. My husband and I make over six figures and wouldn't have a problem living somewhere else in the valley but we choose to live here because of the diversity. We live in the 51st ave and Baseline area and my neighborhood is NOTHING like Maryvale or Tolleson, it extremely quiet and peaceful. I have been there since 2005 and I never heard any gun shots or never had any problems with crime. I roam around my neighborhood at all hours of the night and I am never concerned or worried. My husband and I enjoy Laveen so much that we are looking to buy a larger house in the area.

I am not saying that crime doesn't exist but it really is just like any other neighborhood. If you choose your living area wisely (do research, talk to people, etc.) and stay away from the areas that are "bad" then you shouldn't have any problems. Aside from the lack of shopping options, Laveen is really a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area