Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 169,772 times

Advertisements

I'm in the last stages of deciding between moving to Phoenix or Austin and wondering if anyone has some additional thoughts on either I should consider...

PHX
Yay: Weather (heat with less humidity), big city opportunuties: jobs, I'd be able to live at my friend's house until I found a job.

Nay: City is spread out/not really walkable

AUS
Yay: Warm weather most of the year, love the downtown area, easy to bike/scooter around, great young adult scene, has the feeling of a smaller community

Nay: Humidity, not as warm as PHX, perhaps not as many opportunities, would have to get an apartment before finding a job

Any thoughts you care to share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone!!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM

124 posts, read 414,137 times
Weather if you like heat and if you dont like change you will love the weather. Walking distance no you pretty much need a car, maybe if you live in Tempe where they are building the new light rail system it might be better. I've heard Austin is pretty but if you are single with no obligations you might as well try it before you do settle down you may love it here or hate it but if its something you want to do you might as well do it now, or else you will regret it if it doesnt work out here go try Austin,

Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 PM

133 posts, read 434,138 times
The two aren't very comparable from my experience in both places. All things considered, I would be looking at Austin vs. Tucson for the bohemian element.

Keep in mind, however, that if you can't live near downtown Austin (or perhaps the Arboretum area), you might grow to hate the traffic there. The weather in Austin isn't really all that bad, despite the relative humidity, so I wouldn't count that as a disadvantage.

In either place, btw, you can always run for the hills when it gets hot. But I prefer the Phoenix area hiking. I realized that I would really miss the mountains if I moved to a flatter state.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:04 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,789,071 times
I live in Austin: The flatness drives me up a wall. The freeways were made by a mad man, they make no sence. If you don't tail gate, you will within two weeks (or die). The humidity, which is better than houston, is horrible. We have no pro sports team...how much can they drag out that win against southern cal from 2005 for the college championship. Bush was here. Has his fake temp ranch not to far from here. Flash Floods, Tornadoes, Crickets everywhere. Super high prop taxes. Texas stars everywhere. I think when they sneeze it comes out in the shape of that star. No good Asian food places, man can not live on BBQ and Texmex alone(although I will do my best).

The good: Cheap houses, nice people, bush doesnt really hang around here much. Austin is liberal, Texas is NOT.

Arizona: The Good: the Weather

Arizona the bad: the Weather: ITS Really hot man.

palm trees, desert resort look everywhere.

Close to everything.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,421,920 times
Smile Austin is better

You would be better off in austin

Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 PM

58 posts, read 147,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlue View Post
I'm in the last stages of deciding between moving to Phoenix or Austin and wondering if anyone has some additional thoughts on either I should consider...

PHX
Yay: Weather (heat with less humidity), big city opportunuties: jobs, I'd be able to live at my friend's house until I found a job.

Nay: City is spread out/not really walkable

AUS
Yay: Warm weather most of the year, love the downtown area, easy to bike/scooter around, great young adult scene, has the feeling of a smaller community

Where did you grow up? Where do you live now? Where is your family and friends? These are things that you need to share to get a good opinion.

Nay: Humidity, not as warm as PHX, perhaps not as many opportunities, would have to get an apartment before finding a job

Any thoughts you care to share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone!!
Where are you from and where do you live? Where does your family and friends live? These things are important. TX vibe and AZ vibe are different. I do love Austin and if I was forced to continue living in TX that is the city I would choose hands down.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,789,071 times
As many of you know, I didnt care for Austin. Let me ask you, if you were a family man of 40 years old, and no interest in Live music, what could remotely interest me in Austin. Im sorry, but the place was flat, hot, humid, and just boreing. I have beautiful scenic mountains, palm trees everywhere, warm (hot) dry air for 4 months, comfy air for the rest of the year. Low taxes, pro sports, college sports. We have Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, and of course this wonderfull valley. I posted some pics on the Pics thread of Arizona, check em out. After downtown Austin, and Lake Travis, where do you go after that.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,800,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlue View Post
I'm in the last stages of deciding between moving to Phoenix or Austin...
This thread was started on August 12th, 2007 and the OP hasn't had any activity on City-Data in over six months: 'Last Activity: 11-19-2007 02:21 PM'. Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area