Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 AM

7 posts, read 9,728 times

Advertisements

In a PUBLIC PARK not a dog park, keep your dog on a leash PLEASE!! I have a Pit Bull and when we are outdoors for a walk, I keep him on a leash, not so hard to do. So many times I have encountered dogs running free with no owner in site at first, then I hear "It's ok my dog is cool!!" My response, "My dog isnt!!"

So if this dog that is off the leash in a PUBLIC PARK, runs up to my dog that is on a leash and something takes place (God forbid) I'm gonna get the blame because I have a Pit Bull!!

If you want to let your dog run free, let him/her run free at a DOG PARK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Very well stated.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,087 times
+1.
My little guy is the same and this is a constant worry with us.
He's a sweetheart, not mean otherwise, but he's very defensive from being abused the 2+ years before me. And I've had him 11 years.
He'll never change when we go out. I try to go off hours so we don't have to worry, but it's not always possible.
Lease laws are a state and my HOA rules here too, but to enforce is impossible til it's too late.
People just don't think the other side of things til it their animal in danger.
Then you're the bad guy when injury does occur.

Thanks for posting. I feel ya. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
I agree 100%. My husband has a bad back. If our very freindly dog was approached by an unleashed dog, he would lunge. This causes my husband excruciating pain.

One day while walking our dog on a Florida beach, an unleashed dog approached him. Our dog lunged, my husband said to hell with it and dropped the leash. Our dog proceeded to play with the other dog. When they started playing in the water, our dog kept holding the other dog under the water. The owner knew better than to say a word. His dog finally retreated.

It's not a matter of whether a dog is friendly or not, it's a matter of control. Your dog doesn't know me, my dog, or my circumstances. As pet owners, it's our responsibility to protect our animals. Leashing a dog can protect them from other dogs, traffic, and humans.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,725 times
Maybe you should teach your dog to be more friendly.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 AM

346 posts, read 498,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
Um, no- that's not the problem.

Even the most well-trained, well behaved dog is not 100% predictable. A friend of mine is a vet tech and one of the worst dog fights she ever saw was in the parking lot in front of the office. Someone with a beautiful pedigreed Golden Retriever who had taken many obedience classes allowed the dog to be off leash, and he attacked another dog (on a leash) out of the blue. Had both dogs been leashed, the dogs could have been spared injuries and the owner the ensuing lawsuit.

And the trouble is everyone letting their dog run off a leash always thinks their dog is so predictable and well-behaved. This is ignorant and asking for trouble. Dogs sometimes try to take off and run away- the owner is responsible for keeping the dog from harm. If your dog bites another dog, or a child, you can be taken to the cleaners $$$$$. It's pretty facile saying it's just about teaching your dog to be friendly, esp. when you have no way of knowing if every other dog is or not.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
That most certainly is NOT the problem.

Firstly, it's not just a concern for other dogs when some irresponsible, arrogant dog owner let's his dog off leash. What about small kids that don't know that you can't approach every single dog? Or an older or disabled person getting jossled then falling by a friendly off leash dog? What about people who are afraid of dogs, or even phobic?

What about the fact that these are leash LAWS?

What about simple common courtesy to others?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
By nature of the animal, the friendliest dog in town is also ready and willing to protect his master and space, regardless of his size.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,481 times
the leash law is 6 feet, also--not 16 feet. And there are new laws that just took effect regarding negligent dog owners. Arizona dog owners now liable for attacks on others' pets

Now, it is a class 5 felony for your dog to bite a human, if it is a dangerous breed or has a history of biting.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM

346 posts, read 498,159 times
My brother lives in a very nice apartment complex. Very pet friendly, but I was shocked to see so many people there with their dogs off the leash. And they have a dog park for them to go to! If one of these dogs ended up hurting another animal or person, the complex is also liable. In my area, it is much harder to come by a pet-friendly apartment. And THIS is why the complexes decide not to allow pets. Because of a few irresponsible nitwits wrecking it for everyone else. Don't get me started on how they can't be bothered to pick up the dog poop either.

Last edited by catnip8056; 09-14-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area