Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,923,605 times

Advertisements

I believe that dog owners should use leashes in accordance with the law, but honestly if your dog can't deal with an approach by a loose dog without attacking, you should not take your dog out in public. I own a large German Shepherd that has been trained for the show ring and therapy work and he has been approached 100s of times over the years by loose dogs, children and adults and they have all been peaceful interactions. If I thought that my dog might attack an animal or person, I would do the responsible thing and limit his exposure to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times
I agree with the bulk of this thread

dogs on leashes are not an issue as long as the owner can control them - regardless of temperment ... that's the reason why they are on a leash .... if you think they can still snap or cause harm while leashed add a muzzle

you can always make your dog less of a threat

the vast majority of dogs do well, but also the vast majority of dogs aren't put into situations where they are around different breeds, children, circumstances, etc

i had my boxer at a dog park and she was attacked by 3 boston terriers (which should have been over in the small dog section) ..... even at the dog park I'm always around my dog, so I was able to pull her away from them and shield a little bit ... i'm yelling for the terriers owner who was no where to be found ... they wouldn't back off so they had to taste my shoe until the point where their owner finally sauntered over to move them away

this has made my dog a little leary of that breed so I keep an eye on interactions between them ... but dumb things can happen in dog parks and other off leash settings

which is why I primarily walk about my neighborhood and generally don't have an issue .... there are people though who have their dogs in their garage and not leashed .... I hate it when these things shoot out, charge & bark .... they take a very aggressive posture which is met in kind by my leashed dog

it sucks

there was one guy who was walking his min-pin in one direction while I was out with the family in another .... typically if I see a situation like this I just try to avoid it, but we met on a corner and couldn't see each other ..... i had my dog sit so they could pass .... his dog made a run at mine and nipped her paw ..... my dog went into posture (which is expected as it's being attacked and is also protective of me, my wife and my young kids) ...... i shield but can't do much with how small the min-pin is so it was difficult separate them ....

the guy is just laughing and says something like "god my dog is dumb, yours would kill him easy - can't believe he'd go after her like that"

yeah - thanks for the help guy .... also nice that you're seemingly OK with your dog getting mauled, because I'm not OK with my dog mauling anything - simply not tolerated

but these are the type of issues I run into - especially with attitude .... it's the my dog is small and really can't hurt anything so I just let it run free mentality ........ well if your never hurt anything dog charges at mine or 99% of the other dogs barking & yelping and taking an aggressive stance, the other dog is going to at least kick up a little bit ... it's biology .... and even a simple lunge as I control my dog isn't fun and it's a crappy position to put your neighbors into

thankfully it doesn't happen much

only other instance I can think of was when a neighborhood boston terrier (yeah, that breed again....) came charging out of their garage and towards me, my wife and my dog .... we were about 4 houses down and turning down a connecting street so I just hastened in that direction

the stupid dog followed up all barking, jumping and stupid .... my dog actually did really well ... she turned her head some and was definitely alert, but stayed on command and kept moving away from the boston .... would have been fine if the dumb thing didn't keep following us .... thankfully skipping a few rocks at it's feet ended their interest and the thing strolled back home without any damage to anyone

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,544,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
By nature of the animal, the friendliest dog in town is also ready and willing to protect his master and space, regardless of his size.
Exactly!

And cats shouldn't be outside without a leash either.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,463 times
If you anticipate a dog fight, so will your dog.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:37 PM

yeah .. which is a cool statement and all

but when your dog is being charged and attacked you better have a better game plan than "I'll just act like nothing is going on here and then the situation will just go away"

Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM

346 posts, read 498,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
If you anticipate a dog fight, so will your dog.
I seriously doubt the lady with the off-leash Golden Retriever anticipated a dog fight outside the vet's office. And yet there was. And neither do 99% of people who think their dog will be just fine off leash.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM

289 posts, read 751,345 times
RESPONSIBLE owners have their animals on a leash when required, or in some cases, even when just needed.

A confident, competent well trained dog on a leash should never attack a dog for just approaching it, even in a menacing way. Dogs do a lot of posturing when out and about and when they first meet another dog. Think, pecking order.

I have a 110+ Bouvier. I know and am responsible for the massive damage that she would inflict if directed to do so.

Socializing and training are just another tool that responsible pet owners should provide their animals.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
Dogs do a lot of posturing when out and about and when they first meet another dog. Think, pecking order.
as you should know, even posturing can become a bad situation - especially when there are kids around - a situation that could be avoided completely if others kept control of their animals and didn't allow them to run up on leashed dogs to initiate this process

it's not just an attack that can cause harm ... it's the worse case scenario ... but I could really go without have Posture Fest 3000 when my wife is pushing our kids in a stroller

Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM

464 posts, read 833,075 times
Angry It's bad owners...not the dogs

They're animals, folks. Train them, socialize them as much as possible (we have a little rescue and I totally understand the pitbull situation because of perception), keep them on a leash...and not 20 ft. in front of you...and the unexpected can still happen. However, it happens ALOT less when you do not allow your dog to come up on another dog. Keep your leashed dog by your side and at a safe distance when passing other dogs. We have a known 'law suit' dog owner that passes by from time to time and I tell her to pull her dog back when our little rescue is in the yard because she lets hers come up to others and has then sued when they get into it. Beware of bad owners, folks...and not bad dogs.

And lastly, my fellow women are the worst...the worst. You know who you are, girls, the ones that are too busy talking on their cell phones, pushing strollers, chatting with your co-walker...to even notice Fido is coming close another Fido that does not welcome him/her...and these are always the same mothers who do not notice their kids running into other people too. Pay attention if you choose to take the entire family out for a walk.

Last edited by makeitagreatday; 09-14-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM

7 posts, read 9,741 times
I wish they would hold parents and baby sitters responsible for leaving babies and children unattendended with ANY BREED!!

Last edited by Pitlovern; 09-14-2011 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: wrong post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area