Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:32 PM

87 posts, read 700,657 times

Advertisements

I'm from Southern California and tired of the gouging outrageous price of living here in Calfornia where dreams are no longer possible and home ownership. I've been deciding over Vegas or Phoenix. Stats mean a lot to me. Housing costs, crime, pay wages, etc The only thing I've heard is that AZ average pay scale is lower than California and Nevada's. The other thing I've been thinking about is Vegas's high growing violent crime rate. I do Commerical HVAC for a living and am really trying to debate which might be a better quality of life all around. Help me out and give me some input. I'd rather hear from the people that live there than just random opinions by others who have never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,715,630 times
It depends on what exactly you want in the place you move to. First off, Phoenix is MUCH largest than Vegas; about 1.7 million compared to 4.1 million. Most of Las Vegas' economy is based on tourism and there isn't really much industry. Both cities have comparable housing prices and comparable climates (Phoenix gets hotter and has a nicer winter though). Both cities have their fair share of crime but in Phoenix it's centralized to certain areas of the Valley whereas Vegas it's more widespread. What exactly are your priorities when relocating besides home prices?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,178,790 times
I think Phoenix would offer a better quality of life than Vegas. Vegas is too touristy and for the wrong reasons (gambling as opposed to a more scenic reason for AZ). I think we have a lot more to offer with jobs and nice places to live.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 PM

87 posts, read 700,657 times
Yea I hear what you're saying. Priorities? Simple living and starting a new life over in a new state LOL. That's basically why you move to another state. Cheaper housing and a better quality way of life in the enivroment you will be residing in.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:34 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,966,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I think Phoenix would offer a better quality of life than Vegas. Vegas is too touristy and for the wrong reasons (gambling as opposed to a more scenic reason for AZ). I think we have a lot more to offer with jobs and nice places to live.

I lived there one year and ran back to Phoenix. I moved to be near our best friends but not a place I wanted to live. I appreciated Phoenix so much more when we moved back.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM

647 posts, read 3,343,137 times
Personally, I wouldn't live in Vegas. I think it's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. But that's just me and I probably have different taste then you. To me, Vegas is more touristy, more superficial, less family oriented and not as pretty. I find the opposite in AZ, though we have a bit of all that here too. I think though, that if I were single and in my 20's and could find a good job in either city, I might give Vegas a try for a while - could be a lot of fun for the right person at the right stage in their life.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,330,620 times
If you have the ability to set up shop in any city you choose, I would actually choose Tucson, AZ (metropolitan area is about 1 million people) over either PHX or LV. I just came back from a trip down there today-- the climate is MUCH, MUCH more liveable than Phoenix or Vegas. About 10 degrees cooler this time of the year, and a lot more rain. It was still very warm and very humid (monsoon season), but still comfortable enough to be outside. Tucson has a lot more native desert vegetation than either Vegas or Phoenix, and is much prettier, more scenic, with bigger and better looking mountains. It also has much more of a sense of place and its own unique feel. You really know you are in the southwest when you are there. Phoenix is an extremely generic city. Las Vegas is not much cheaper than Southern California-- especially the nice parts of Vegas.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 AM

133 posts, read 433,702 times
Wow, I agree entirely with VegasPilgrim, although Tucson doesn't offer as much in the job market.....

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,498 times
Default If crime is a big issue, don't opt for Phx

I have lived in the Phoenix area for 3yrs and I am extremely up to date on Phoenix stats because crime is one of the main reasons I am looking to relocate. According to the Arizona state home page they have the highest crime rate of the states. Being a resident of Black Canyon City, AZ, I wouldn't dream of disputing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal78 View Post
I'm from Southern California and tired of the gouging outrageous price of living here in Calfornia where dreams are no longer possible and home ownership. I've been deciding over Vegas or Phoenix. Stats mean a lot to me. Housing costs, crime, pay wages, etc The only thing I've heard is that AZ average pay scale is lower than California and Nevada's. The other thing I've been thinking about is Vegas's high growing violent crime rate. I do Commerical HVAC for a living and am really trying to debate which might be a better quality of life all around. Help me out and give me some input. I'd rather hear from the people that live there than just random opinions by others who have never.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,843 times
Thumbs up Lived here 37 years

Hi, I've lived here 37 years, worked for others and now own a Commercial/ Residential painting company. Work is good, most pricing competative.

Arizona is a big place, Phoenix 4.1 million and growing daily. Great place to live and raise kids. We have some crime but not more than other major cities.
A lot of it is ID theft and that is due to the tremendous influx of illegal activity, which is subsiding due to the efforts of the local sherriff.

Wife & I raised five kids, three businesses and find the multiple climates in Arizona suits our needs just fine.
Lots to do, see ad enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area