Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Surely, you're not comparing an interventional cardiologist with a realtor now? This argument is getting more ridiculous by the moment!
You're the one getting rediculous with that statement. Are interventional cardiologists God, who are above all others, and high above the lowly Realtor? I hardly think so. The last time I saw my cardiologist, he appeared to be a normal human being, wearing pants just like I do. And probably goes to the bath room the same way I do. And he was on time.

What riverfan seemed to imply is that it doesn't matter if a Realtor is late, that their schedules with their clients don't matter.

We're talking about schedules and professional people scheduling their appointments loose enough so there is sufficient time to account for the "known from experience delays" that can and do happen. Now you're trying to make it into a "he's better than thou" type of argument.

It does not matter what profession one is in, scheduling to be on time is important, and it does seem that other professionals take being on time more seriously than many doctors.

As others in the thread have said, an occasional lateness by doctors is acceptable, but chronic lateness is not excusable.

Riverfan claims to earn almost 7 figures annually, and while I don't have any knowledge of his practice, I can say that if he or any other doctor earns that much money and schedules their clients tight enough that they are consistently late, then they are working for the money and not their clients. (I do not know if he is ever late, and really don't care.) My statement is more general because I'm also hearing some crying about doctors and NP's making less money.) Well, almost 7 figures is not exactly chump change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
This discussion has become increasingly and unnecessarily personal. Drop the bickering and personal comments or the thread will be closed. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And what makes you qualified to make that statement? Have you gone to medical school? Did you do 7-8 years of residency? Have you practiced seeing patients? Have you done a catheterization? Have you had to consult a thoracic surgeon during a cath to repair an LAD? That's right, YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED I've worked in the business world before medical school so I do know the difference but you clearly do not and your statement is ignorant at best. Sorry but medicine is clearly a different field with different demands and your attempt to compare it to real estate or anything else is ridiculous.

If you are my patient that just came into the ER with chest pain and I'm in clinic with a different patient, I'm telling that clinic patient I have to go so I can do a cath on you and save your life. I'm sorry but what real estate emergency will result in someone losing their life to justify them leaving a meeting. It's not the same so don't even try to make that argument.
Nope, I'm not a doctor, have never aspired to be a doctor, have never had medical training, and have never played one on TV. [mod cut-- personal, rude.]

I was a professional international airline pilot for 35 years; have owned several businesses, and I know that no matter what profession one is in, they need to make time in their schedule for the "known emergency delays". That includes doctors.

Our cardiologist has always been on time.
Our family practitioner has always been on time.
Neither my wife or I have had a delay at the Mayo clinic. The Mayo has a highly organized system, and apparently builds their schedules with sufficient time to account for "known by experience emergency delays".

I can excuse a rare delay, provided I was not just left to sit in the waiting room without any communication. The Mayo clinic tells you to go to a check in clerk if you have waited 30 minutes. They dislike delays. They will also cancel the patient appointment if the patient is too late. They are not going to allow a late patient to interfere with the scheduled appointment of those who are there on time.

I applaud that policy. They're willing to sacrifice the income from that late patient to honor the schedule for the on time patients.

Last edited by observer53; 10-30-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM

41 posts, read 120,952 times
Think about it from the other patient that is seeing the doctor. Maybe they are in there with Chest pains, maybe his blood sugars are markedly high and the doctor is telling them that they have diabetes. maybe its a patient who just lost a loved one, or the doctor is telling them that the recent tests did come back and now they have cancer or something. Would you want to be rushed out the door just to please the patient that is complaining about this provider running late...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
(3) Mayo restricts what plans they take based on reimbursement so they see a much smaller volume of patients which enables them to be more punctual..
Ok, I don't know if there is a smaller volume of patients per doctor or not at Mayo. When we go there, the waiting rooms are always almost full, and patients are constantly being called.

I'll assume you are correct. So consider this:

The doctors at Mayo are highly trained and have the reputation of being among the best in the industry. They certainly should be earning top dollar for their skills.

Therefore, I would think that if a doctor is working there that s/he is earning a high wage, or they would take their skills elsewhere.

Consequently, if the Mayo can reduce the volume of patients per doctor and these top doctors apparently earn a high wage that is acceptable to them because they stay there, then why can't other doctors, who are chronically late, reduce their patient load and also be more punctual?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 PM

429 posts, read 954,259 times
It would be great if doctors could reduce their patient load, but there's already a shortage of doctors, especially family doctors and internists. It's going to get a lot worse. I would 1) get used to the wait and 2) find a doctor you like and stick with him/her, regardless of whether you have to wait sometimes, because it won't be long before we'll all be hard pressed to find a provider taking new patients at all. Then you won't have to complain about waiting because you won't be able to find a doctor.
U.S. Faces Shortage of Doctors - WSJ.com

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I need a script for Ambien for two upcoming trans-Pacific flights.
Perhaps it would help to recall the incident that started this thread. The issue is not critical care, cardiology, medical emergencies, or a physician shortage.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 PM

429 posts, read 954,259 times
Fair enough. I am even more concerned that the OP would expect the doctor to rush sick patients so that he wasn't inconvenienced by being kept waiting for his RX for narcotics for a flight. I agree with what someone else said; either call in for it or nix the drugs and have a couple of martinis instead.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Fair enough. I am even more concerned that the OP would expect the doctor to rush sick patients so that he wasn't inconvenienced by being kept waiting for his RX for narcotics for a flight. I agree with what someone else said; either call in for it or nix the drugs and have a couple of martinis instead.
Indeed.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-30-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
OP, This outburst was for a refill of Ambien for overseas flights, that says a lot, not a regular followup, but I-need-meds type followup because I have something important to do....maybe call and say all I need is a refill, maybe stand there instead of having a tantrum with people not responsible and say all I need is a refill of Ambien, they may have gotten someone to fill it,...or get some Dramamine and have a couple drinks at the airport or on the plane, heck stay up all night the day before so you can sleep on the plane. Some "professionals" have more complicated schedules than others, just saying since in OP you stated so you had something important to do or could get on here and whine, I am guessing it was the latter since that is what you did.
Where to begin? No, it was not an appt. to get travel meds. They called me to schedule the appt. to go over lab work results. I just planned to ask for Ambien while I was there instead of playing phone tag with the NP.

And while I'm sure it makes you feel better to call it a tantrum, it was nothing even close to that. I was polite and firm and I was justified...by the fact that this has happened several times and that they were overbooking, thereby guaranteeing few people would be seen on time.

And you might be interested to learn I got a very long apology via voicemail today from the doctor himself, also assuring me this would not happen again.

I'm on my motorcycle in UT this week, but will try to call and schedule another appt. when I get a cell signal and I'll be sure to ask for the first one of the day. I'll report back when I've spoken with the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area