Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 AM

235 posts, read 923,274 times

Advertisements

I think for most people culture equals old brick buildings. Some people just can't get past the packaging.

Last edited by Bill-; 08-29-2007 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,464,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Now go get your faux-Italian meal at Olive Garden..
Interesting. The Olive Garden Web site has a feature in the upper right to find restaurants in a particular location.

Searching with "Phoenix, AZ" yields 11 locations.

Searching with "Boston, MA" also yields 11 locations.

Both cities are tied in this particular index of mediocrity. Fortunately, both cities also offer great independent Italian restaurants for those who seek an alternative.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
I have never been to N.Y. Could someone describe what the defining "culture" would be in N.Y? I am curious and not being snotty, just curious. Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM

283 posts, read 991,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Interesting. The Olive Garden Web site has a feature in the upper right to find restaurants in a particular location.

Searching with "Phoenix, AZ" yields 11 locations.

Searching with "Boston, MA" also yields 11 locations.

Both cities are tied in this particular index of mediocrity. Fortunately, both cities also offer great independent Italian restaurants for those who seek an alternative.
There are none in the "City", believe me.. I only know of one personally, on Route 1 - the rest must be in mall-ville on the outer fringes of the metro area- but then again, we HAVE a city, and Phoenix doesn't..

Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,464,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
There are none in the "City", believe me.. I only know of one personally, on Route 1 - the rest must be in mall-ville on the outer fringes of the metro area- but then again, we HAVE a city, and Phoenix doesn't..
It's about the same here. Most of the OG locations are in suburbs, and those few within Phoenix City Limits are in suburban areas near malls. There are none in Central Phoenix. While we will have to agree to disagree about Phoenix not having or being a city, the fact remains that chain restaurants cluster around suburban malls everywhere in the country. So, if we look beyond the disputed definition of "city," and instead at metro areas, Phoenix and Boston come out the same on the Olive Garden Index. Even measured in terms of Olive Gardens per capita, the two metro areas are about the same since they are so close in population (about 4.5 million for Boston vs. about 4 million for Phoenix). Thankfully, I can skip the Olive Garden and enjoy a great meal at Marcellino, one of many terrific independent Italian restaurants here in Phoenix, any time I want. I can do the same in Boston, and that's why I like both cities so much.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 AM

419 posts, read 1,526,265 times
I agree that the youth of Phoenix as a metropolis is a huge factor in its lack of indigenous establishments. What those places give to a city is a tie to history, a sense that you belong to more than "here and now". I imagine Chicago or Philly once felt like that too.

It may take another 20 or 30 years, but with all the different types and origins of the newcomers, including myself, I can see a big-city culture emerging.

Also, I think seasons play a big part of cultural happenings. Having just 2 seasons in Phoenix limits the variety of activities, specifically outdoors.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I have never been to N.Y. Could someone describe what the defining "culture" would be in N.Y? I am curious and not being snotty, just curious. Thanks
Hmmmm...the poster "who shall remain nameless" lived in a suburb of NYC...Reading her other posts, I'm guessing mid-high end Long Island as she was somewhat charmed by McDowell Mtn. Ranch in her search for a home in Sctsdl.

I'm not trying to be too snotty, but if, and I know I'm guessing here...but if she is from the mid-high end of LI, her culture would be a lot of mommy and me classes, Starbucks and putting together summer bbq's to impress the other neighbors and her husbands poor underlings.

NYC culture is pretty extraordinary. Lots of museums, opera, symphony, performance art, literary salons, etc. I can say the same for San Francisco. Chicago...IMHO, not so much.

Phx is what it is...and it is a very young city. I'm frankly impressed at the direction that downtown, downtown Scttsdl and especially Tempe are taking.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM

19 posts, read 97,428 times
Default opinions

Culture generally refers to patterns of human activity. This can include food, dress, customs, daily activities, etc. It is funny that people would complain that places like Phoenix have no culture. Most European countries think that us, states people, have absolutely no culture. I think some of it has to do with the age of a town/city/ country, ego of the transplants, comparison of cities and own opinion.

Driving down McDowell (sp?) I saw a Polish grocery store. Being of the Polish culture this made me very excited, because there is not such a place in Las Vegas.

Even Las Vegas has culture, if you stick to the definition. It may be a pattern of human activity that deters some people while attracting others. Missoula Montana has a different culture than Los Angeles, but which is better or more cultured is not quantifiable by any means.

I do agree with some posters who said that most people think culture is food and old buildings. Who knows what the true idea of culture is? My idea is different from yours, but it doesn't make it better or right.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
Thank you Emonelie. CA could be a state with many cultural qualities. The Mendocino coastal area with the now settled and now rich "Big Sur" hippie transplants. San Fran definetely has a cultural feel to it with mini pockets like China Town and the Tenderloin dist. San Diego different from N.CA altogether. L.A., well it is L.A. I think Phoenix has its own flavor as well and being a newer big city, will emerge someday. I think Scottsdale has a cultural quality to it, sort of Neowest, like Sedona. I think you can find "culture" here.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Thank you Emonelie. CA could be a state with many cultural qualities. The Mendocino coastal area with the now settled and now rich "Big Sur" hippie transplants. San Fran definetely has a cultural feel to it with mini pockets like China Town and the Tenderloin dist. San Diego different from N.CA altogether. L.A., well it is L.A. I think Phoenix has its own flavor as well and being a newer big city, will emerge someday. I think Scottsdale has a cultural quality to it, sort of Neowest, like Sedona. I think you can find "culture" here.
NEOWEST???? I love it. Hope the term gets internetized. (my term)

I actually like it here and feel bad for those who do not. A walk in Encanto park with a marriage going on....Carolinas for an early lunch. Checking out the "canal" in N. Scottsdale....a stroll down Mill Ave. Neowest, hmmmm, I'm going to use that term!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area