Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,886 times

Advertisements

I am a student moving to another state to complete my education, I have 7 months left on my lease. I have been with the complex for 2.5 years and never defaulted on my rent. They want me to pay lease break fees since i gave them a 30 day notice. They are coating about 1200 dollars and i don't have such monies, what can i do? can i just move out and not pay rent again? what are the consequences of this action? I currently don't owe them any rent, i have payed all of my December rent. I am really trying to get someone to sublease but all my efforts have been in vain. Please help. I need to move out in the next week in other to start school in the other state. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 AM

267 posts, read 692,635 times
Does your (old) school have a free legal clinic?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOOO View Post
I am a student moving to another state to complete my education, I have 7 months left on my lease. I have been with the complex for 2.5 years and never defaulted on my rent. They want me to pay lease break fees since i gave them a 30 day notice. They are coating about 1200 dollars and i don't have such monies, what can i do? can i just move out and not pay rent again? what are the consequences of this action? I currently don't owe them any rent, i have payed all of my December rent. I am really trying to get someone to sublease but all my efforts have been in vain. Please help. I need to move out in the next week in other to start school in the other state. Thanks
Move, then run like the wind!.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:44 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,608 times
You are liable for the charges. You signed a contract when you moved in.

I had the same thing happen when I bought a house. The sellers chose to close early and I had to break a rental lease. I had a perfect rental history, but ended up paying about $1200 to break the lease. The $1200 included forfeiting my deposit and pet deposit.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
There really isn't anything you can do. Either pay the fee to break the lease or don't pay it and they will send it to collections and your credit will be affected.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
HX pretty much nailed it ..... only other option I could think of is if your apartment complex is open to a sub-let ... basically you'd find someone to take on the rest of your lease, but it would have to fit the approval of the complex

Other than that you are either going to have to pay the early termination fee in your lease. If you just skip they will send it to collections for the entire remaining term (so instead of the fee they'd send to collections the 7 remaining months).

Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
HX pretty much nailed it ..... only other option I could think of is if your apartment complex is open to a sub-let ... basically you'd find someone to take on the rest of your lease, but it would have to fit the approval of the complex

Other than that you are either going to have to pay the early termination fee in your lease. If you just skip they will send it to collections for the entire remaining term (so instead of the fee they'd send to collections the 7 remaining months).
They can't really do that - they can only charge for the time the place actually remains vacant. If that's less than a month, he's out a month. Then they get to try to collect, from someone who already stated he doesn't have any money, and has already fled the state.

Run, snowflake, RUN...

Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
EVen if you have the money to lose, unless you buy wherever you're headed, a future landlord will see that lease break on your credit report. I'm a landlord and the thing I look for most in a credit report is housing history and prior landlord/tenant issues. The very next landlord might not get wind of it, but the one after that will. And the trick with landlording is not to call the prospective tenant's previous landlord, but rather the landlord before that one.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
EVen if you have the money to lose, unless you buy wherever you're headed, a future landlord will see that lease break on your credit report. I'm a landlord and the thing I look for most in a credit report is housing history and prior landlord/tenant issues. The very next landlord might not get wind of it, but the one after that will. And the trick with landlording is not to call the prospective tenant's previous landlord, but rather the landlord before that one.
True, if the O.P.s' credit report is worth $1200, he should certainly pay. As a landlord, I wouldn't rent to someone with a judgement or a ding from a previous landlord on their credit. But, he will be in a much better position to settle the issue fairly if he isn't in Arizona.

If he leaves the place clean, documents that with lots of pictures, and has a neighbor verify when the place is actually re-rented, then calls the landlord from a trac-phone with an offer to settle - they'll take a fair offer instead of nothing, which is what they can expect to get by smearing his credit.

Tenants move sometimes, and landlords are in the business of renting properties out. A landlord that uses a lease as a cudgel to extract excess fees from a decent tenant isn't any more fair than a tenant trashing a unit and running like the wind.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Good luck with all of that - very difficult to get all of that lined up and even if you do the best case is they were only vacant for a month (when it sounds like his buyout is 2 months) .... so for all that extra work and contention you may end up $600 better than you previously were

If it ends up in collections you can eventually end up in court - the credit will follow you, student loans, other housing options, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area