Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,140 times

Advertisements

I heard you have to keep a close eye on the pH level in the pool since higher pH level significantly reduce the chlorine production. How often do you need to check the pH and how often does it require adjusting via chemicals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 02:42 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynine View Post
I heard you have to keep a close eye on the pH level in the pool since higher pH level significantly reduce the chlorine production. How often do you need to check the pH and how often does it require adjusting via chemicals?
I'm not expert, but I've not heard that high PH inhibits production of chlorine. I have heard and experienced that having a SWG increases PH that must be balanced with acid. I check my PH level and add acid once a week. Although, I've noticed now in cooler weather that the PH is not rising as fast.

I would recommend asking your question in a pool forum. Here's a good one that even has a special forum for salt water chlorine generators.

Trouble Free Pool :: View Forum - Saltwater Chlorine Generators

Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,233 times
Great topic as my salt system is being added...today!! We just had a pool done and I researched this quite a bit. This thread is the only place where I have ever heard of a salt system being hard on the decking...I fid that very hard to believe. I went with salt as I did not want to be adding chlorine due to the costs, ongoing hassle, constant maintenance, skin treatent, etc. Doing salt once a year seems like a much simpler solution. In terms of costs, chlorine is pretty pricey....

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Great topic as my salt system is being added...today!! We just had a pool done and I researched this quite a bit. This thread is the only place where I have ever heard of a salt system being hard on the decking...I fid that very hard to believe. I went with salt as I did not want to be adding chlorine due to the costs, ongoing hassle, constant maintenance, skin treatent, etc. Doing salt once a year seems like a much simpler solution. In terms of costs, chlorine is pretty pricey....
Yes, we have found the saltwater system much more economical. Here's some good news for you; we have only had to add salt once in the last 4 years. Having a saltwater system has been wonderful for us! I think you are going to LOVE it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynine View Post
We have only had to add acid a few times in the last 4 years and our pool gets a LOT of use. It seems to be the favorite pool for all the kids in our neighborhood who are friends with our daughter, plus all of their younger siblings.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM

123 posts, read 488,412 times
We just put in a new pool with a salt system and we love it. The maintenance is very easy. The builder recommended that we add some acid each week to keep the pH in check. BTW, how often does everyone totally empty their pools and refill them?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdotcom01 View Post
We just put in a new pool with a salt system and we love it. The maintenance is very easy. The builder recommended that we add some acid each week to keep the pH in check. BTW, how often does everyone totally empty their pools and refill them?
Haven't had to do it yet and it's been 4 years, almost 5. Regarding the acid, we test our pool constantly to make sure it's balanced properly and have only had to add acid a few times. If I were you, I would let the testing guide you regarding how often to add acid rather than the salesman or builder. Many pool builders haven't been building saltwater system pools for very long and I suspect they aren't too familiar with the maintenance. We went with a pool builder who has owned his own saltwater pools for many years and so far his recommendations have been spot on and one of them was to let the test results be our guide rather than a schedule. Hope this helps. AA

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 246,078 times
hi guys can you recommend companies that do salt water systems in the valley? thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM

bigjdotcom01 ~
I wanted to let you know, I was wrong about emptying and refilling the pool. I said we hadn't had to do it yet and it had been 4 years. Well.....then our salt generator broke and we called in the pool repair people and they said it was because our water was too hard because we should empty and refill the pool at least every two years. He said he does it every year. Sorry about misleading you. Hope this new information helps.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afghaniprinzess View Post
hi guys can you recommend companies that do salt water systems in the valley? thanks
Sorry afghaniprinzess, our pool builder has now retired. I have no idea who else would be good.
Take care,
AA

Old 08-11-2008, 08:25 PM

92 posts, read 318,515 times
can anybody reccommend a good salt water pool builder? thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area