Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,405 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming the white line is at the water line? There are various things you can do to remove the white line. Some people scrub it with stiff brushes and CLR type cleaners and tile bricks. It's due to hard water deposits, if it's what I think it is. You can't do anything to stop it from happening and you're not doing anything wrong. The water here is very hard and that build-up just happens. I would say re-tile in a tile that hides it better or get used to it. If it's pebble-tec at the water line, I've used a company called Scumbusters to do a sandblasting type treatment on it. It's fairly gentle and safe, as it uses little plastic (?) pellets instead of sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
That's called scaling, and is a common chemistry problem. It's caused by dissolved calcium in the water which builds up on surfaces, especially at the water line. The biggest factor in preventing this is rigorous PH control. All pools made of plaster and cement will tend to slowly increase PH, and a salt water chlorine generator accelerates that process. PH should be monitored and adjusted weekly at a minimum. Get a PH test kit, and buy a bunch of pool acid, either liquid muriatic acid, or dry (granular) acid. You can buy the test kit and acid at Home Depot, which will may be a lot cheaper than your local pool store.

Even with a salt-water generator, you should monitor your chlorine level as well. Adjust the output of your generator so your chlorine stays at optimum levels. Keep liquid or dry chlorine on hand to make emergency adjustments if your level gets too far out of whack. Your in-laws should do some reading on pool chemistry and there are some good forums out there like this one: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...alcium_scaling

You can hire a pool service to take care of all this, but a good one is hard to find.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM

35 posts, read 117,455 times
The white line I assume is on the tile? Its calcium. Its a nightmare! The water in AZ is super hard here and unless you have a salt water pool you will likely have to deal with it like everyone else... scrub like crazy. I have a pool service and they do the basics but they don't scrub this off. I have had to resort to doing it myself, I have found that if you invite friends over in the summer and have your blender ready to go you can give them all a putty knife and their red solo cup full of margaritas and it gets done pretty fast!
Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM

I learned something! Ignore my advice above. I never knew you could control calcium through PH. There is more misinformation in the pool industry than about any I've ever found.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitplan View Post
The white line I assume is on the tile? Its calcium. Its a nightmare! The water in AZ is super hard here and unless you have a salt water pool you will likely have to deal with it like everyone else... scrub like crazy. I have a pool service and they do the basics but they don't scrub this off. I have had to resort to doing it myself, I have found that if you invite friends over in the summer and have your blender ready to go you can give them all a putty knife and their red solo cup full of margaritas and it gets done pretty fast!
Good Luck!
Salt pools don't have any less calcium than unsalted pools. A salt water pool makes no difference except possibly to make it worse because you have to monitor pH more carefully as explained in kdog's post. Another major culprit is auto water level controls that keep the level the same all the time so that salts are deposited in the same place making the line more obvious. There are services that remove the deposits but it is only so-so effective. You can still see the mark. The best method is to have a neutral tile, not a dark one, to hide the lines.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I learned something! Ignore my advice above. I never knew you could control calcium through PH. There is more misinformation in the pool industry than about any I've ever found.
Calcium precipitates (come out of the water) and deposits on pool walls at higher pH. Keeping pH down will help but it is not going to eliminate the bathtub ring.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM

I had a pool once that had tile with a random whitish design over the brown-ish background color of the tile. That did a good job of making the calcium line hard to see. The design was sort of like a marble. I think pool builders would know which tiles hide it best. I'd never have another pebble tec 'rolled edge'. That showed it really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area