Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 13,861 times

Advertisements

I am in need of advice, due to living conditions changing. I want to break my lease, as I no longer feel that my 13 yr old daughter, nor myself, are safe here.

Some things that may work to my advantage are; one of the leasing agents in the "luxury apts" office allowed me to sign a 2nd year lease one month after moving in and against policy, to keep the special rental rate. A few months after moving in, a young couple moved in below me, with a young child, and were constantly screaming and fighting and blaring their surround system. This went on for almost a year, until they were finally evicted.

During a bad storm, water came pouring down my walls, ruining valuable items and food, and causing the very large glass ceiling fixture to fill up with water and crash to the floor. It cracked many of the ceramic tiles, and would've killed someone, if they had been beneath it. 10 months in, our brand new (locked up) bikes were stolen from the only bike rack, realized on my daughter's 13th birthday. They located and evicted tenants that they proved were stealing, and I was told that everything should be fine. I finally save money and buy new bikes, with expensive locks, and we go to ride them for the first time on my birthday (20 months in), and they were stolen again. I was told by the mgmt. office that I wasn't allowed to break my lease due to this.

I am a little OCD about the cleanliness of my house, and about 5 - 6 months ago, I seen little bugs in my kitchen, so I ordered pest control. Each week I ordered it again, and the bugs kept multiplying. It got to a point that I would kill at least 50, before work everyday, and they were in all of my food, cupboards, drawers, and everywhere on my counter. Through my own research, I found them to be boll weevils, brought in through flour or a grain product. I through away eight large garbage bags of food and ordered pest control again. I talked to the pest tech, who seemed to be aware of the situation, but none of this information was ever given to me. I had to store all of the new food that I bought in my bedroom for over a month, and keep the vacuum in the kitchen to constantly vacuum them up. When I stopped seeing them, I took vacation and had to thoroughly wash out all my cupboards, drawers, and all dishes, etc I found dead bugs everywhere in my apt. I finally finished cleaning every inch of my apt, open a cupboard, and see a live boll weevil crawling around. I had to invest in air tight containers for all food, so they aren't coming from that. If there had been any communication in the beginning, It wouldn't have cost me the $600+ that I'm out due to these bugs.

Also, the security gate is broken regularly, so what's the point? This was one of the reasons that I moved here, and I've regularly had to go in through the 2nd gate and go all the way around the building. Sometimes when it's broke, it's just left open for days on end, so I do not allow my daughter to step foot out the door after dark. Last night, we seen someone trying to break into a car, in a secluded part of the complex.

Sorry about such a long post, but I wanted to include all of the details, hoping something would be seen that will help me get out of here. Anyone??? I'm a single mother, living pay check to pay check, so buying out the lease or paying fees isn't an option for me. Thanks so much!

Last edited by observer53; 01-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: added paragraph breaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,782,512 times
"eight large garbage bags of food"........

Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
The boll weevils are a result of the eggs not being killed while in the flour. They hatch after you buy the flour.

Here is an article discussing that: What are those little black bugs that get in pancake mix, cornmeal, and flour? - Yahoo! Answers

For the security issue, I would discuss this with the landlord. Give him a 30 day notice that you are vacating due to the security issues. S/he may agree to let you out of the lease. But they do have that 30 days to get a new tenant. You'll need to cooperate with the showings.

When you leave, if they don't have a tenant, and if they don't release you, then you will be responsible for payment up until the have a new tenant. They are required to be diligent in getting a tenant replacement.

Do read your lease, and also read the landlord and tenant rights to determine exactly what your rights are.

If the landlord repaired the roof and the damage inside the apartment, then they have taken care of their responsibility there.

The boll weevils are your responsibility because you "accidentally" brought them into the apartment.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,210,736 times
I do not follow how "rental conditions changed"?

While unintentional, you brought the bugs in.

The thefts are not the landlords fault. Did you report them to police? If they caught them then you need to go after them for the bike issue.

On the water leak, did you have insurance for your belongings?

Security gates are a false sense of security whether they work or not. If your daughter is young she should be supervised regardless of any gate.

Unfortunately unless the landlord works with you, a buy out would be your only way out of the lease in the clear.

Do not rely on others or gates to protect yourself, your daughter and your belongings. Be diligent, supervise children and carry insurance.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
I keep only enough flour on hand that I can use quickly or I keep it in the refrigerator so the bugs don't hatch. Storing too much food here is an issue, even if in containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: