Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,452 times

Advertisements

We have tickets to several Maryvale games in March and are looking for non-hotel lodging within 30 minutes-ish of the park. We've tried Vacationrentals.com and VRBO.com, only to be disappointed at being WAY too expensive for a one week stay or at being advertised as available and then via return email, indicated as full. Any suggestions on other sources to try would be awesome. Can't wait to escape the current cold and snow in WI, at least for a short time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,178,469 times
Others will be along with specific suggestions, but I'm guessing you've never visited Maryvale. It's a blighted area of Phoenix with the highest violent crime stats in the city, according to the Phoenix Police Department website. You won't want to stay close to the ballpark. But the ballpark itself is beautiful. The area around it - decidedly NOT.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-19-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 PM

19,461 posts, read 27,964,639 times
Kimballette is spot on. You DO NOT want to stay in Maryvale.

You've looked at the two sites for short rentals of condo's and homes. If those are too expensive or do not have availability, your other alternative will be an extended stay motel.

The cheapest tend to be Studio 6. There is a newer Studio 6 in Deer Valley that is very convenient to the ball park and usually has pretty good rates.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,452 times
Thanks much for the information. Guess we should expand our search to 30-60 minutes from Maryville based on crime

Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,266,069 times
The OP wasn't talking about staying in Maryvale specifically - just staying within 30 minutes of Maryvale which encompasses a very wide area

I would agree though that you don't want to be too close and some areas are definitely nicer than others as you move out ...... if you find a specific place it may not hurt to come back and ask about that area

As for non-hotel lodging - there is plenty out there ....... however, it may be difficult to navigate

I have no idea what your budget is, but keep in mind that March is a very popular time to visit AZ ... you're going to be looking at peak rates from all angles ...... I would expect to spend between $1,000 - $1,500 on a home rental in March for a full week

You may have some luck looking towards Goodyear, Avondale, Surprise, Peoria, and some of the other cities to the west ....... Keep in mind that there are spring training parks in/near all of those cities as well

You may also be hitting snags based on the dates selected ....... if a home has bookings on full weeks Sun-Sat on each side you may have trouble getting a mid-week

For example .... if a home is booked from 3/11-3/17 and then from 3/25-3/31 you could have availability for 3/18-3/24 ........ however, 3/14-3/20 or 3/22-3/28 wouldn't be available

Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,266,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdegrave View Post
Thanks much for the information. Guess we should expand our search to 30-60 minutes from Maryville based on crime
Not really - I'd be hesitant of places within 10 minutes of the stadium on the whole ... but once you get beyond that you'll typically be OK

The stadium is at 51st avenue and Indian School road ..... the area contained by Glendale Avenue to the north, I-10 to the south, I-17 to the east and the 101 to the west is an area I would typically avoid ..... there are decent areas and a big exception would be made at glendale ave/101 where the sport stadiums are ...... however, with a broad brush that area could be described as spotty

However, you can get out of that box fairly quickly ..... 15-20 minutes and you could be west of the 101 in the neighborhood near the Camelback Ranch (dodgers/white sox) facility and be perfectly fine

You may have some luck in "Laveen" ...... this area is hit or miss as well, but some really like it and have good luck there as well and it would be really easy in/out from the stadium

I definitely enjoy Maryvalle stadium - usually some good tailgating there as well (at least by spring training standards), tickets are on the lower end of the spectrum, good access to the facilities and a nice park

Another thing to note when looking at places is to differentiate between streets & avenues ............ central avenue is "point zero" - streets get larger in number as you go east and are typically even at the major streets ..... avenues get larger as you go west and are typically odd at the majors

There is a lot more lodging in the scottsdale/paradise valley/east phoenix area that is very nice and people may not differential when they mention it ....... they could say near 51st and Camelback for an area around the Royal Palms which is no where close to the stadium at 51st and Indian School

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,316,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Others will be along with specific suggestions, but I'm guessing you've never visited Maryvale. It's a blighted area of Phoenix with the highest violent crime stats in the city, according to the Phoenix Police Department website. You won't want to stay close to the ballpark. But the ballpark itself is beautiful. The area around it - decidedly NOT.
Absolutely right! I guess a person could stay in Maryvale if he/she doesn't mind the high crime rate, the sketchy characters, and the dilapidated appearance of the area. Otherwise, there are some better places to stay that are in close proximity of the stadium. Even some lodging in the downtown or Central Corridor areas would be safer, and wouldn't be too long of a commute to Maryvale.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,490,080 times
There is an extended stay (still a hotel) at 75th ave. and Bell. You'd still be within 30min. and have all the amenities of Bell Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area