Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 23,906 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much. It is the first street (desert trail rd) on the left when turning on 93rd and cactus. the back of the house doesnt face the stables though, it is the other side of the street...
do you find any problems with flies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona1322 View Post
Thanks so much. It is the first street (desert trail rd) on the left when turning on 93rd and cactus. the back of the house doesnt face the stables though, it is the other side of the street...
do you find any problems with flies?
We're not close enough for it to be an issue. We're closer to 90th and definitive don't have issues with flies. It's a really nice area so I'd say go for it. I don't think flies from the horses will be an issue at all.

EDIT: I had an afterthought; if you're buying this house and this is a concern, it will probably also be a concern for those considering it when you go to sell. Something to think about.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM

thanks so much!! I really appreciate it. We really like the area and how its so close to 101 like you said. We are younger too (well mid-30s) so know what you mean about thinking it might be sleepy. We really liked arcadia originally but couldn't find a house that met our criteria in our price range.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
thanks so much!! I really appreciate it. We really like the area and how its so close to 101 like you said. We are younger too (well mid-30s) so know what you mean about thinking it might be sleepy. We really liked arcadia originally but couldn't find a house that met our criteria in our price range.
See my afterthought.

Having just moved here, we're renting a house and are beginning to figure out where we want to buy. Arcadia is our number one choice right now but it's a huge trade-off between location and a nicer, bigger house. I love the area but hate the small 70s ranches that you're stuck with until you get into the million+ range. I don't know where that compromise will end up for us but for the time being, we're happy here. You will get slightly annoyed at the drive to get to Old Town or Central Phx or Tempe when you want to go out to dinner or for drinks, but it's the compromise for having a nice house in a nice, safe area. On the plus side, we're super close to tons of awesome trails and are a short bike ride to the greenbelt if you're at all outdoorsy.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,770 times
Quote:
Sleepy? Depending on your expectations - you will probably find the majority of Phoenix metro-area is dead on arrival. With the exception of areas around ASU and the club area of downtown Scottsdale - Phoenix has little to no nightlife.

As someone explained to me, when I arrived seven years ago...people come here to die.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Sleepy? Depending on your expectations - you will probably find the majority of Phoenix metro-area is dead on arrival. With the exception of areas around ASU and the club area of downtown Scottsdale - Phoenix has little to no nightlife.

As someone explained to me, when I arrived seven years ago...people come here to die.
Don't listen to this. We're in our 30s and still like to go out and have a good time and have yet to be bored. There are festivals almost every weekend, more outdoor activities than you could ever do, and when the sun goes down, there are plenty of great restaurants and places to have a few cocktails. I don't think anyone expects tons of fine dining and nightlife in suburbia, but that is the compromise to suburban living.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM

Yeah it was hard to find houses for our needs in arcadia. we needed a 4 bedroom and it was important to us to have a pool and the only house we found for sale with that criteria was on the very high range of our price range and it had a greatroom, we wanted more defined spaces. it was a very nice house but then some of the houses on the street were not well kept up..
We rent an apt now close to old town so it will be a little hard to get used to not being able to just walk to restaurant/bars! But we are outdoorsy types so very glad to hear its close to trails. Ill have to check out greenbelt. What I loved about that area was being able to see the mountains and the beautiful sunset. we also liked Mccormick Ranch but the only available house in our price range would need a lot of work. I moved from chicago earlier this year and didn't realize Scottsdale would be this expensive!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Oh my- people come here to die sounds so depressing! I agree w/Detriot- love the festivals! And lots of restaurants. I like how there are a lot of non chain places so not typical suburbia!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah it was hard to find houses for our needs in arcadia. we needed a 4 bedroom and it was important to us to have a pool and the only house we found for sale with that criteria was on the very high range of our price range and it had a greatroom, we wanted more defined spaces. it was a very nice house but then some of the houses on the street were not well kept up..
We rent an apt now close to old town so it will be a little hard to get used to not being able to just walk to restaurant/bars! But we are outdoorsy types so very glad to hear its close to trails. Ill have to check out greenbelt. What I loved about that area was being able to see the mountains and the beautiful sunset. we also liked Mccormick Ranch but the only available house in our price range would need a lot of work. I moved from chicago earlier this year and didn't realize Scottsdale would be this expensive!
So funny, we're in the exact same boat. Coming from Detroit, I though I'd be living like a king for $500k. Not so. I love McCormick Ranch and the Gainey Ranch area but I can't spend half a million dollars on a house that needs a six-figure gut job. I already know it's going to be a challenge to find a house with a pool and relatively updated for under 500. The hunt is about to kick into high-gear though. Glad it sounds like you found something. Enjoy the area. I think you'll be happy here. And BTW, the Fry's (grocery store) on Shea is ridiculous. Giant wine cellar, cigar humidor and an actual bar in the store. Enjoy!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Ha at least I know I can hang out at Frys if we're bored! Yes I know what you mean! From our search, we found that it wasn't typically until you got until the $475 and over price range where you can start to expect 4 bdroom, pool, and upgraded houses.. Originally I was thinking we could stay under $400 and have what we wanted! We started our house hunt several wks ago and couldn't believe how much the market is up here.. I read that it is a sellers market in Phx area for houses $500 and under. urgh. The very first house we saw had 2 offers on it already and the 2nd house was on the high end for us .. and by the time we decided we should offer anyway it already was under contract. Good luck on your house search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area