Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times

Advertisements

My dad is turning the big 7-0 in two weeks and my sister and I want to take him and mom to a really nice restaurant in the Valley. My parents are snowbirds from Iowa and my dad was a farmer so he's a big meat-and-potatoes sort of guy; no sushi, no chinese, nothing that looks or smells funny. He loves steakhouses and my parents frequent Ruth Chris and Morton's so I really wanted to take him somewhere different but on par with both of those. I personally feel Ruth Chris and Morton's, even though they're "chains" (I use that term loosely), are probably two of the best steakhouses in the Valley in that price bracket. What are some steakhouses you'd all recommend?

The sister and I really want to make this birthday special, dad has done so much for both of us as well as my other two brothers and we feel he needs to be appreciated once in a while. Dad's been really great over the years, I know I wouldn't be where I am today without his help both emotionally and financially. We usually don't make a big deal out of birthday's but 70 is a big one and he had some heart problems last year that are under control (thank God) so want to make this one special. He's always wanted one of those "old-man Rolexes", the big, gaudy, gold ones that all the old guys wear drinking coffee so each of us chipped in and bought him his dream watch that he'd never buy for himself. He'll love it even though I think it's absolutely tacky covered in yellow gold but I guess when you turn 70, you can wear whatever you want.

Suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Most towns have a steak house that is rated best by the locals. Seems to me that would be something a steak lover would like.
Smart idea on the Rolex.
I hope my kids by me a Rolex for my 70th. If they are reading this. I'll take the Rolex Daytona chronograph.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
I commend you and your sister for appreciating all that your Dad has done for you.

Mastro's City Hall in Scottsdale would be nice, The Keg, and I am a fan of Durants, even though most people prefer the chain restaurants.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Donavan's.

For what you are looking for, it's perfect. Wherever you go, let the restaurant know it's a special occasion. And great job on the Rolex. Dad raised some nice kids (with mom's help, I'd bet).

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, after work I'll look up all of them! I really do appreciate them, I've lived here for 10+ years and still haven't tried all the Phoenix steakhouses...shame on me!

And yeah, dad will look the watch! He has a few nice watches but he's ALWAYS wanted a gold Rolex so my siblings and I decided a few weeks ago that it would be a great present. We each have decent incomes and my parents have helped us each tremendously throughout the years in many ways; we all probably owe dad more than any us ever could pay back whether it was when we were 16 and needed some money for gas or when we were buying a first house and needed a little loan...which we conveniently forgot to pay back .

Besides, it seems like it's necessary when you're 70 years old to wear a gold Rolex. It's like you can't drink coffee or play a round of golf with your buddies if you aren't wearing one.

You never appreciate your parents as much as you should when you're younger. It took a little scare last year to really realize all that my dad has done and I think he'll appreciate the watch greatly .

Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
+1 for the Keg, especially if he likes prime rib.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM

102 posts, read 578,357 times
Take him to Talking Stick Buffet!!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark55us View Post
Take him to Talking Stick Buffet!!
Doesn't like buffet's, thinks they're full of overweight people stuffing their throats full of lukewarm junk. Doesn't like fast food much either for the same reason.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Doesn't like buffet's, thinks they're full of overweight people stuffing their throats full of lukewarm junk. Doesn't like fast food much either for the same reason.
Sr's. are pretty astute people.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sr's. are pretty astute people.
My dad is just very much a traditionalist for sitting down at a restaurant and having a nice meal. Dad is a bit overweight himself (and he knows it) but likes to stay away from places that don't serve "good food". He doesn't go for buffets, fast food, weird food (i.e. sushi), or any place that doesn't have some type of meat. He's an old, Iowa farmer...he's pretty well stuck in his ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area