Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I think that is a brilliant idea. I bet it would be packed in the summer months.
yeah, you could have a great business that makes sense for a few hours a day, a few months out of the year. Wouldnt that idea make more sense up north where you could at least get out of the snow, for up to half a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
I don't think you'll ever see it. The dog park by me is rarely used even in beautiful weather. Based on the signage I think taxpayers complain that it even exists, and it's just a big fenced plot of grass. I always wished it had a webcam so I could avoid dragging my dogs out there when there weren't even any other dogs there to see.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Early morning is beautiful in Phoenix, even in the hot summer months. Walk them then. Provide lots of water if you have to leave them outside - and lots of shade. If you don't have a swimming pool, get a kiddie pool and fill it with water for them. Keep a fan going on the patio as well.We also put up misters around the patio. But I kept my dogs in all summer with just a doggie door for them to go in and out.

All that being said, I wouldn't advise leaving them outside if you can help it. And Please do not ever leave them in the car - not only is it illegal in Arizona, it will kill them in a very short time.

FOR THOSE NEW TO ARIZONA -
One summer day when the mercury was hitting about 115º, I stopped off at Kierland Commons to do a little shopping. Bought one of those candy thermometers for the kitchen. I tossed the bag into the car and went on to do a little more shopping. I was probably gone an hour or so. When I got back to the car, I had to use oven mitts to put on my seat belt. The metal was that hot. Out of curiosity I looked at the candy thermometer. It was up to 140º! It doesn't take much for it to go beyond unbearable. And our pets are wearing fur!

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 04-09-2012 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
Quote:
Keep a fan going on the patio as well.
I wonder if fans help furry animals keep cool. SRP says fans cool skin, not rooms, so I'm thinking not. Though with a dog it might feel good on their tongue? But they don't sweat for cooling so there's no evaporation, which is how fans cool our skin.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
But they like to stick their heads out the car window! Put it low and they can dream they're in the car with you! :-D

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I wonder if fans help furry animals keep cool. SRP says fans cool skin, not rooms, so I'm thinking not. Though with a dog it might feel good on their tongue? But they don't sweat for cooling so there's no evaporation, which is how fans cool our skin.
Fans dont cool rooms because all they do is blow air around. Because of the mechanical necessity, (all though nearly insignificant) the friction from the parts creates heat. What a fan does is dissipate the radiant heat from your bodies; it pushes your warm body heat away, so more of your warm body heat has room to get away from your skin. Its the same principal as in wind-chill factor.

My dog used to seem happy about getting a few ice cubes in with the water bowl.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
Default air conditioned dog park

Well I too am feeling guilty with keeping my 4-legger inside during the summer and too hot for the dog park. I don't want any health problems! Today we went to Club Doggie in East Mesa. For $20 we spent a half hour and did an agility session. My little guy loved it. They have memberships where you can bring your dog on a monthly basis and do ramps and jumps etc in the cool air conditioned atmosphere. Unfortunately my little guy has some reactivity issues, so until those are handled we won't be able to do our time together. But once or twice a week for a half hour session is better then nothing. I really wish there could be an indoor dog park for our little ones. But how much would we all be willing to spend to have this luxury? The rubber matting, jumps, tunnels, etc cost money as well as air conditioning. It would have to be a central location so people would be willing to travel from around the valley. Any suggestions? Something needs to be done to address this situation...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
There is no way I am willing to spend $20 for a half hour, just so my doggies can play.
I play with them in the house, throwing the ball from family room to LR and they chase it and bring it back (sometimes.)
When I feel really energetic, I take them at 7 AM for a long walk and it seems to satisfy them for the day.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howies mom View Post
Well I too am feeling guilty with keeping my 4-legger inside during the summer and too hot for the dog park. I don't want any health problems! Today we went to Club Doggie in East Mesa. For $20 we spent a half hour and did an agility session. My little guy loved it. They have memberships where you can bring your dog on a monthly basis and do ramps and jumps etc in the cool air conditioned atmosphere. Unfortunately my little guy has some reactivity issues, so until those are handled we won't be able to do our time together. But once or twice a week for a half hour session is better then nothing. I really wish there could be an indoor dog park for our little ones. But how much would we all be willing to spend to have this luxury? The rubber matting, jumps, tunnels, etc cost money as well as air conditioning. It would have to be a central location so people would be willing to travel from around the valley. Any suggestions? Something needs to be done to address this situation...
Why would you keep your dogs in it's not that hot go in the morning or at sunset then. I run my dogs all summer long even when it's 118. They love it and would go crazy being cooped up all summer. I will never take my dogs to a dog park again last time I went one got mange and had to be dipped.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:30 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
Our dog has started waking us up at 4:30 am lately, begging for a very early morning walk. He is much more patient in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area