Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I was surprised at what a healthy state Arizona was. It was a very nice surprise when I saw that we actually stack up quite well with the rest of the country.
I think more people are happy here, the weather makes you feel fit and happy.
True, but as you said earlier: moderation is the key. A little variety in the weather would be good once in a while too. I truly believe we get a little too much sunshine ... and worse yet, too many people who move here for senseless reasons like the abundant sun, and not enough who move here for important reasons like jobs. Too much sun and dry weather simply is not good for a person's health. I brought up in the thread about air quality how dust, and resulting Valley Fever is a huge issue here ... as are health concerns like Sjogrens Syndrome (few people even know what that is, but the symptoms tend to be worse in a dry climate like this).

But yes, the weather here can make you feel fit and happy ... and broke too. Thanks to the abnormal lack of rain in the past two months, I have the high water bills to prove it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
True, but as you said earlier: moderation is the key. A little variety in the weather would be good once in a while too. I truly believe we get a little too much sunshine ... and worse yet, too many people who move here for senseless reasons like the abundant sun, and not enough who move here for important reasons like jobs. Too much sun and dry weather simply is not good for a person's health. I brought up in the thread about air quality how dust, and resulting Valley Fever is a huge issue here ... as are health concerns like Sjogrens Syndrome (few people even know what that is, but the symptoms tend to be worse in a dry climate like this).

But yes, the weather here can make you feel fit and happy ... and broke too. Thanks to the abnormal lack of rain in the past two months, I have the high water bills to prove it!
I have Sjogrens Syndrome and while I hate always being dried out, eyes, mouth, etc. I use humidifiers in my home and go on enjoying it here. I get dry everywhere I go, rain or not actually. It's me, not the environment. Valley Fever isn't something I worry about but either is flu season and most people are ok, some are not. That sucks but tis old life and I've seen a lot of it.
The sun makes me happy, I think that is a great reason to move here. Being happy helps you stay healthy, and positive. The sun isn't for everyone, and if it isn't your cup of tea then I wouldn't come but I don't think you should avoid the valley because of the sun, illness, etc. Not realistic to me. Now electricity bills. lol

Old 02-12-2012, 03:24 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
i am very fair. i have a lot of different sunscreens on hand and i rarely ever purposely try to get sun on me. i don't feel pressure to be tan. skin cancer is no joke.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I agree about sunscreen but have two other things to add. If you're doing the sunscreen properly, you probably need to add a vitamin D pill to your day. Every person I know in AZ who has had a blood test for vitamin D finds out they're deficient.

Also, if you come here with a car that doesn't have tinted windows, get it done. When I first came here I became sunburned on the left side of my face and neck in the middle of winter -- when it was cool outside and my windows were up. I drove for less than an hour and because the window wasn't tinted I was shocked to find I had a bad sunburn. Never occurred to me one part of my body had been "sun bathing."

Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Also, if you come here with a car that doesn't have tinted windows, get it done.
Great advice! Needless to say it also keeps the inside of the car cooler.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
To the people who are advocating and using sunscreen, you are doing more harm than good.

Sunscreen use actually causes cancer, it doesn't prevent it, says exhaustive scientific research

Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
To the people who are advocating and using sunscreen, you are doing more harm than good.

Sunscreen use actually causes cancer, it doesn't prevent it, says exhaustive scientific research
Is that why when I dropped some on my cool deck it proceeded over the week to eat a hole in it the size of an orange? (I'm not joking either)
Nothing rubbed into your skin on a daily basic can be a great thing. Skin is absorbent. In the old days we had a saying, don't rub anything on ya you wouldn't eat a spoon of.
Most people aren't going to listen to natural advise though I'm afraid, only us old moms.
If you are fair skinned just limit your time in direct sun, wear a hat and long sleeves if you have to be out in it a long time. They even make swim clothing for the pools. I always have a visor on in the summer.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 PM

252 posts, read 953,108 times
Growing up in the 1970's in Phoenix I did feel pressure to be tanned and I am very fair skinned. When I was diagnosed with skin cancer in 1999 here in Portland OR the first thing my dermatologist asked was "where did I grow up" ....Nowadays people are smarter and I know more people with tans in Oregon (tanning booths) than Phoenix.

I've missed the sunshine for the twenty six years I've lived in Portland. If you do move to Phoenix, I'd wait until fall so you can acclimate slowly...

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,929,313 times
I'll let you guys in on a little secret.

Back in the 80's when I lived in AZ, I would "occasionally" meet young women in bars. Somewhere along the line of chatting them up, the topic of age always came up.

I had an easy recipe for closing the deal. I would just think how old they looked, and subtract 10 to 12 years. It worked everytime.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD33 View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering moving from rainy Washington to the Phoenix area. We both love heat and the sun does wonders for our mood. However, lately I've been starting to wonder how my fair skin is going to hold up. If you are fair skinned and live in Arizona I'd like to hear what your experience has been. Annoying applying sun screen all the time? Feel pressure to be more tan? Just stay in the shade when by the pool? Is this even an issue at all?
I'm fair-skinned and I always use sunblock whenever I'm planning on being out in the sun for a long while.

Sunblock should be used even in the winter months on bright sunny days.

Most people stay indoors in the summertime, simply too hot to be outdoors for too long in the daytime.

Take precautions and avoid long sun exposure. If you are an outdoor-type person, do most of your outdoor activities in the cooler months or after sunset in the warmer months.

Most important thing you can do is keep hydrated, water is key to survival here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area