Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 98,209 times

Advertisements

I am coming down from Central Oregon to the jobing.com job fair next week in hopes of finding a new job so I can move. I've read a lot of the posts on here saying how bad higher paying jobs are to find, but I only have myself to take care of and could get by with a mid-level position. I currently have a government job and think maybe I'm just a little crazy to give it up, but I too am really tired of the cold snowy winters here. Plus I do have family in Arizona (Yuma & Apache Junction).
So my question is: Is the job fair a good place to find a decent job? It does seem like it is harder to find a job when you are out of the state, so moving first and finding a job later seems like the thing to do. Also, are there any suggestions for the best places on the internet as to where to look for jobs?
Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM

18 posts, read 77,208 times
Many companies use job fairs to network and get their name out there, but may not always have positions open at the time of the job fair. Also, many companies do not accept resumes at job fairs, but direct you to the website to apply for current openings. It could be helpful to meet with people from the company to see if they have openings that would match your background, and get names (or business cards if they bring them) to follow up with them after the job fair or after you apply online. If you get names I would also connect with them on Linked In after the fair.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 PM

287 posts, read 897,317 times
My friend went to a job fair a week ago here in Phoenix. After waiting in a line that wrapped around the block just to get into parking, then waiting another 2 hours to get into the room where the fair went on, the doors were shut right behind her. This was at 2pm. It was suppose to be opened until 4 or so. There were many, many people waiting for hours to get into the fair. And after all that waiting there were only 14 of the 34 businesses that were suppose to be there. To answer your question, No, job fairs aren't the way to go anymore. Too bad you gave up your job. If you're supporting just yourself then you'll probably be ok.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GramieJ View Post
I am coming down from Central Oregon to the jobing.com job fair next week in hopes of finding a new job so I can move. I've read a lot of the posts on here saying how bad higher paying jobs are to find, but I only have myself to take care of and could get by with a mid-level position. I currently have a government job and think maybe I'm just a little crazy to give it up, but I too am really tired of the cold snowy winters here. Plus I do have family in Arizona (Yuma & Apache Junction).
So my question is: Is the job fair a good place to find a decent job? It does seem like it is harder to find a job when you are out of the state, so moving first and finding a job later seems like the thing to do. Also, are there any suggestions for the best places on the internet as to where to look for jobs?
Thanks for the info!
What kind of government job do you have? If it is Federal, there may be jobs in your field here that you could apply for through civilian personnel and the career program.

I would not be coming here unemployed and job hunting in this economy. A little snow is more tolerable than being in a new place without a way to take care of yourself.

altus2006

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Out of desperation and lack of any experience on this topic, I attended the career/job fair that took place on January 26th at a Marriott hotel in Phoenix. In short, it was not worth the time or even the gas I used to get there (approximately 15 mile drive).
I am not sure if Once-upon's friend went to the same one but just like that one, mine only had about a dozen companies which 2 were schools (devry and some Art institute) looking for students (customers) and they tell you that straight up but you could end up waiting in their line for god knows how long only to find out they have no jobs (why the hell do they come to a job fair is beyond me!). 2 others were Army and Phoenix Police Dept. looking for fresh meat, the rest were either outdoor or indoor sales, that is it! It really was a waste of time for someone like me in IT field with almost a decade of experience.
Perhaps I need to attend a much more specialized job fareer, targeting my own field and there is one on February 9 2009. If interested, check this link.

Imho, Phoenix has limited supply of good jobs and almost all of them are taken, once in a long while a decent job opportunity will show up but there are ton of people going after those so competition is ugly. What is worse, from what I heard, most of the people applying for higher level jobs (as in my field) do not possess the required skills but they apply anyway. These spammers make it more difficult for employers as well as suitable candidates to find each other.
The rest of the jobs you see online job sites are, for lack of a fancier word, simply suck. Most are contract-to-(if you are lucky)-hire. From personal observation, companies, especially those who sub-contract the employee to the actual firm, seem to be misleading candidates with fake 'contract-to-hire' statement because they know if they state that it is a straight contract job, the good candidates would not take it since the offered wage is usually low as well. In CA, my friends who were taking contract jobs were making at least $7-$8 an hour more than a comparable salary job because of all the benefits they were giving up on, here, not a darn difference. May be this is because 90% of the jobs are either contract or so-called contract-to-hire.

Economy is sucky everywhere but I moved here 18 months ago and I can tell you this one thing, the biggest reason I am regretting my relocation is the employers and jobs out here.
At least for someone in my field, this state is not -arguably- the best place to be job wise.

May be your field is in demand and has better paying, direct hire jobs?
Either way, good luck to you.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 98,209 times
Default Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
What kind of government job do you have? If it is Federal, there may be jobs in your field here that you could apply for through civilian personnel and the career program.

I would not be coming here unemployed and job hunting in this economy. A little snow is more tolerable than being in a new place without a way to take care of yourself.

altus2006
I am currently have a job with the county working for the landfill!
I'll be in Phoenix next week hopeing to find a new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: