Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM

39 posts, read 143,576 times

Advertisements

Hello!! I am a spanish guy who is going to Phoenix area next january 2008. Even I was there 9 years ago, this time I will have 4 days to do some sightseeing and I would like to visit some places/cities from de old west (far west). Do you have any recommendation?

I am thinking (and due to the short time I have) in two routes: North of Phoenix area (Sedona, Grand Canyon, Navajo reservations...) or south (Tucson, Tombstone, Willcox,...). How is the weather is this areas during winter?
Do you have any recommendation for a Far West city?

Thanks a lot in advance...and sorry for my english...
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,374 times
Hola, Carols! Tu inglEs es mucho mejor que mi espan~ol (estoy aprendiendo todavIa ). Anyway, here's my take on your two routes: The northern route will be breathtaking and beautiful. The southern route will be more adventurous - more like the "old west" you seem to be looking for. I've never been to the Tucson area, but from everything I've read about it, including in so many posts here, it seems to be an incredible area to visit. However, if you've not yet seen the Grand Canyon, then do the northern route. I think it should be mandatory that everyone in this country see the Grand Canyon. It's a mysterious, breathtaking and spiritual experience all rolled into one. Anyway, whichever route to do decide to take, I know you won't be disappointed. Arizona is beautiful with lots to see and do. Tiene un viaje magnIfico!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmad6 View Post
Hello!! I am a spanish guy who is going to Phoenix area next january 2008. Even I was there 9 years ago, this time I will have 4 days to do some sightseeing and I would like to visit some places/cities from de old west (far west). Do you have any recommendation?

I am thinking (and due to the short time I have) in two routes: North of Phoenix area (Sedona, Grand Canyon, Navajo reservations...) or south (Tucson, Tombstone, Willcox,...). How is the weather is this areas during winter?

Cheers
Unfortunately, Carlos, four days makes it rather difficult.

Considering the limited time, I would recommend The Train . . .

GRAND CANYON RAILWAY | Grand Canyon National Park train | Grand Canyon Railroad

A fantastic day trip from Williams to The Canyon which is beautiful in the Winter and then maybe you can wander around Sedona, Jerome and Cottonwood.

Plan "B" would be Southern Arizona including Tucson (Old Tucson Studios), Tombstone and Bisbee.

Good Luck

Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:

Cheers
Sedona is, arguably, the prettiest spot in the state, WELL worth a visit. I recommend taking one of their Pink Jeep Tours while in town. Its a bit gimmicky, but theyll take you off the beaten path. Either that or take one of the helicopter tours. The Grand Canyon is something that must be seen at least once in your life, but if youve seen one rim, youve seen them all. Strangely, I was bored after 2 hours there. But the first 15 minutes is something I cannot describe, its just AWESOME. I cant relate to the Indian Reservations, Ive never been on one.

Tombstone is cool, but its a haul from Phoenix. Tucson was disappointing IMO and Ive never been to Wilcox either, so I cant really comment on it.

The weather will be brisk in Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc. It will be warmer in Tombstone, but nowhere in AZ is as warm as the Valley.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:21 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:

Cheers
Like Bummer said, 4 days is an awfully short time to see all of the places you mentioned. You also have to take into consideration the possibility of winter weather in the northern part of the state and the Grand Canyon, where elevations are prone to snow fall. If weather allows it, I'd definitely visit Sedona and the Grand Canyon. We haven't had a decent amount of snowfall for the past few years in the higher elevations, but you'll never know what mother nature has in store for us this winter.

Sedona's elevation is 4000 feet above sea level, and the south rim of the Grand Canyon is 6900 feet ASL. The low temperatures can drop to the single digits, or even to below zero at the Grand Canyon, and daytinme temperatures are usually in the 30's. Sedona's temperatures are a little milder in January, hights are in the 40's-50's and lows are in the 20's.

For the desert elevations in the state - Phoenix, Tucson, and Tombstone, temperatures are usually mild in the winter, highs in the 60's, and lows in the 40's. Wilcox is at 4100 feet in elevation, so it gets a little colder, but they're all great places to see in case the weather is bad in the higher elevations. We also do get freezing weather on occasions in January in the deserts, so be prepared.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,959 times
It's funny - as a former PHX resident I never have any recommendations of sights to see IN Phoenix itself, but rather to get out of the city as soon as possible and explore the beautiful areas far, far away from the stinking pit of Maricopa County. Looks like everyone else is also suggesting places out of town to visit.

The best thing PHX has to offer is its international airport, so you can arrive, quickly drive out of town to see the beauty of Arizona, and return for departure.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:01 PM

435 posts, read 1,576,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
It's funny - as a former PHX resident I never have any recommendations of sights to see IN Phoenix itself, but rather to get out of the city as soon as possible and explore the beautiful areas far, far away from the stinking pit of Maricopa County. Looks like everyone else is also suggesting places out of town to visit.

The best thing PHX has to offer is its international airport, so you can arrive, quickly drive out of town to see the beauty of Arizona, and return for departure.
LOL! Well said. Arizona'd be a great place, if you could just erase metropolitan Phoenix. Keep Sky Harbor, though, and then the good parts would still be accessible.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 AM

39 posts, read 143,576 times
Thanks a lot for the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area