Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,642 times

Advertisements

I took the light rail from where it starts in Mesa to the Central/Indian School area. It took 90 minutes. I don't think there was any problem. I think it took that long both directions. I drove nearly that route to work daily for years in 30 minutes.

I didn't dissuade the original poster or anyone else from using it. I said I personally wouldn't want to rely on it as my only means of getting around. And I mentioned for many people it's a great option.

I'll be sure to post only opinions on things I've done more than twice in Phoenix. Maybe that should be in the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
No rules on that! All I can tell you is that it does NOT regularly take anywhere NEAR ninety minutes, under normal operating speed (i.e., not the speeds they used the first weekend it operated ) The schedule bears that out. In the absence of a breakdown or an accident preventing the train from moving (and they have ways of getting around those in some areas, too), they run on time. So, there must have been an issue, whether you were aware of it or not. If you don't choose to rely on it based on that one experience (and I really doubt that it took that long both ways), that's your privilege. It's worth it to me to save the gas for my 38 mile commute by using the rail at least some of the time. With the traffic I encounter driving, there's often no difference in the time.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM

The schedule does show that taking 55 mins. in rush hour so maybe they've tightened it up or maybe there was some delay I wasn't aware of. It wasn't opening weekend that I took it but it was within the first six months of it starting.

55 mins. isn't that bad. It'd probably take 40 in a car at 4pm.

Still, I wouldn't want to get around the city in it exclusively. Like most, I want the freedom of a car.

And I'd still opt to live in downtown Tempe if I worked at USAirways and wanted to live with no car. Even downtown Phoenix isn't walkable/mass transit friendly, if you ask me. The scale of this city is just too big for walking and the transit options are bare bones. You can probably engineer your life so you can live near a bus or light rail station and work near one, but how do you get everywhere else? Like shopping that you mentioned, too. I don't know if people really recognize how spread out things are until they live here.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,476 times
My walkscore is 71, eight blocks from IS LR in
Midtown. I would like to see some numbers from Tempe. Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Actually the whole trip one way is 65 minutes
Yeah, the 55 min. trip is getting off before it ends, at Central & Indian School.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
The schedule does show that taking 55 mins. in rush hour so maybe they've tightened it up or maybe there was some delay I wasn't aware of. It wasn't opening weekend that I took it but it was within the first six months of it starting.

55 mins. isn't that bad. It'd probably take 40 in a car at 4pm.

Still, I wouldn't want to get around the city in it exclusively. Like most, I want the freedom of a car.

And I'd still opt to live in downtown Tempe if I worked at USAirways and wanted to live with no car. Even downtown Phoenix isn't walkable/mass transit friendly, if you ask me. The scale of this city is just too big for walking and the transit options are bare bones. You can probably engineer your life so you can live near a bus or light rail station and work near one, but how do you get everywhere else? Like shopping that you mentioned, too. I don't know if people really recognize how spread out things are until they live here.
I like the freedom of a car too and it's kind of a necessity in a city like this.

But there are people who are unable to drive or own a car for different reasons like financial, health, or maybe even suspension or revocation of a license.

That's why reliable mass transit should always be an option in a large metropolitan area like this.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeFree1 View Post
Hello!

I am going to be moving to Phoenix in the next month and will be working at the US Airways Center. I will not have a car, so I will be utilizing public transportation preferably lightrail.

I will be initially staying in a hotel until I have check stubs to show proof of employment/income coming in. The hotel I will be staying at is near a lightrail so travel will be good, but I'm looking into places to permanently move into. I was considering downtown, but I've read that the downtown area doesn't have much to do. Being a young professional and not knowing anyone in the area, I would like to be in an area where there are restaurants, bars, shopping, etc but is still lightrail accessible.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks!
Downtown is very active during the daytime. The problem is that, even though there is more going on at night & on weekends now than there used to be, it can still be rather dead at times. Keep in mind, however, that many concerts and most pro sports events take place downtown ... so there will be lots of night time activity when those things occur. There are some pretty decent bars & restaurants, but shopping is pretty limited to Arizona Center and CityScape.

Also, there are more options to live downtown than before. There are now more lofts, apartments, and some highrise condos which didn't exist 10 years ago. You can also look a little further north in the Central Corridor area for some decent places to live, and you'll still be on the light rail.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,859 times
I think you'd be fine with either downtown Tempe or downtown Phoenix. The light rail goes right to the US Airways Center from Tempe or you could be literally walking distance from downtown Phoenix. And downtown Phoenix has improved a lot in the last few years - many more restaurants, theaters, stores.

I'd wander around downtown Phoenix and Tempe and see which you prefer. Tempe would probably make more sense overall, though.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
I think you'd be fine with either downtown Tempe or downtown Phoenix. The light rail goes right to the US Airways Center from Tempe or you could be literally walking distance from downtown Phoenix. And downtown Phoenix has improved a lot in the last few years - many more restaurants, theaters, stores.

I'd wander around downtown Phoenix and Tempe and see which you prefer. Tempe would probably make more sense overall, though.
Tempe would be my second suggestion, especially for the better nightlife. The only thing is that Tempe around the Mill Avenue district is catered more to the ASU crowd ... so a professional might be more comfortable with downtown Phoenix, or perhaps Scottsdale. The drawback is Scottsdale doesn't have a light rail connection.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post

I agree.

Downtown has improved over the years, but the great thing about Phoenix is there are other hot spots for nightlife if downtown doesn't cut it.

Light rail has made it more convenient to choose between central Phoenix and Tempe without needing a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area