Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM

40 posts, read 82,367 times

Advertisements

Hi

I just accepted a contract to teach in the Phoenix area. I do not know the exact location yet. I was told to look for apartments in the Avondale or Peoria or west side of I-17 as the drive will be shorter.

I am making a huge move from snowy Alaska to sunny Arizona. After a couple of years up here shoving snow, seeing no sun and freezing, I am ready to move to a warm/hot place.

Given that I am a single young woman (37 yrs old), what is the best place to live. I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. Once I get there, I will shop for furniture. I am looking at moving down there around June. Once I put my car on the barge, I will fly south.

I am seriously thinking about taking a trip down there during spring break in a couple weeks to look at my new home. What should I do during this time besides apartment shopping?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,488,239 times
75th or 83rd avenues close to Bell Rd. The Arrowhead area of Glendale/Peoria.
That's the entertainment hub and right off the freeway.

My advice if want to be near restaurants, bars, and single guys/ladies in your age range. Everyplace else(thats nice) in the W.Valley is familyland.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM

800 posts, read 1,914,854 times
What area you will live in should be determined on where you will be working, and how much of a commute is reasonable. Peoria is a great city, couldn't think of anything bad to say about it. I lived in the heart of Peoria in an '80's subdivision for several years. The farther north you go in Peoria (or adjacent Glendale, which is closer to Phoenix), in general the newer the area. Bell Road goes through both (actually all the way from Surprise through Phoenix), and is where you will find just about any kind of shopping. There are some great apartment complexes on or near Bell Road.

When you are down here, besides apartment hunting, you could do some hiking if you like that (great trails all over the place), or take in a Spring Training game at one of the many ballparks. What kind of thing do you like doing?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,511,018 times
Peoria is a nice suburban area but it's very spread out, try not to go too far north or you will have a very long commute.

If you decide to check out Avondale be sure to stick to the nothern side above I-10, much nicer than the southern parts.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,253,241 times
Do you know what district you will be working in?

drawing a line between Avondale & Peoria would cover a large portion of the WV along most of the entire loop 101 on that side of town

there could be places in goodyear, litchfield park & glendale that would work just as nice

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM

289 posts, read 752,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
If you decide to check out Avondale be sure to stick to the nothern side above I-10, much nicer than the southern parts.
I live south of the I-10 in Coldwater Springs on the golf course. Never had any problems or seen any problems.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,511,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
I live south of the I-10 in Coldwater Springs on the golf course. Never had any problems or seen any problems.
You're right, there are some nice newer developments south of I-10 in Avondale.

I was mainly referring to the parts near old town, the Cashion area, and other older areas, they're less appealing.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM

446 posts, read 711,198 times
Avondale is a long way from anything. I had a friend who stayed there a summer visiting her adult children. She hated it.

Peoria is close to the 101, 51, I-17. Lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. It's not so far from town. I've been living here seven years, it's not perfect (hey, it's in Phoenix) but it's pretty nice.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 PM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Avondale is a long way from anything. I had a friend who stayed there a summer visiting her adult children. She hated it.

Peoria is close to the 101, 51, I-17. Lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. It's not so far from town. I've been living here seven years, it's not perfect (hey, it's in Phoenix) but it's pretty nice.
Huh? Avondale is right at the intersection of the 101 and I10. You can't get more convenient than that. It has restaurants and shopping, too. Most of the parts of Peoria that one might call convenient are older and less desirable. The good part is in the far north.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM

40 posts, read 82,367 times
Hi

Thanks again everyone. I am leaving for Phoenix in a couple days. I was able to win a bid for Crowne Plaza for $90 night. It is a short drive to peoria and easy access to the highway. I am almost packed and ready to get out of the snow. Just hope that the first leg of my flight takes off.

I am excited but nervous at the thought of moving to Phoenix. It seems so big. I haven't driven on a freeway in over 4 yrs. I am sure it will be shock to my system.

With apartments, I am going to look at avondale and peoria. I was told that Glendale is not safe. I may still look at it. I figure no matter where I live, I am looking at a 20 minute commute. I want to be in a community where I can feel safe and have a social life. I figure that I will spend Wed driving around and getting familiar with the layout. Then tackle each section for a day to look at apartments. I will be here for a week so I am hopeful that I can find a place to live and enjoy time visiting your city.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area