Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,785 times

Advertisements

My son and I am moving to AZ and I am really excited. I am driving so any tips for that would be also great. I know its hot and this time of year it cools down.
I really would love to know of some great sites I can look up to get more info about AZ and things people should know when moving to this beautiful state. Any suggestions would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,074,580 times
Smile az to nc for me

Hi there: I am doing just the opposite. Have been here 10 years and am looking forward to leaving for NC.
Do you have a job here? Have you been here in the heat of the summer? There are lots and lots of cheap homes here (first in the country in that area) so easy to find someplace to live. Pools are scarey for parents with little kids. Many drownings each summer when little ones are not watched carefully. You can toss all your really heavy coats and clothes and stock up on shorts and flip flops. Everyone here is very friendly cause most of us are from other places. For the best schools, I would look into Chandler or Gilbert. Have a good trip !!!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
There are more choices for good schools than just Chandler or Gilbert (Tempe, some Phoenix districts, north Peoria, north Glendale). Commutes here can be very long, so where you are working will dictate a lot about where you live.

You will find a lot of info that will help you right here. Read, read, use the search forum, and if you have questions you can't find answers for, ask them here. Best way is to start a new thread with a title that gives an idea of the specific topic you are asking about.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM

33 posts, read 70,689 times
Hello:

I move from Charlotte, to AZ last June. Initially I did not like it, maybe due to heat frustation and being alone. Now I made friends and gone around the area and I am settling dow,

First: As compared to NC, gas and groceries are cheaper here.

It does get hot, but not that bad, if u work indoors, so nothing to worry. Yes houses are very cheap. In NC we did not even have a housing bust.

It will take some time to get used to the landscape and architecture. There is no greenery and u will see everything in stucco. No brick, vinyl siding.

I think u will like it. good luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM

800 posts, read 1,912,742 times
Peoria has some great hiking trails, if you do that. Peoria is a great city. It also has a Spring Training sports complex (Padres/Mariners), a great entertainment district (http://peoriaazfirst.com/ArrowheadEntertainment.asp - broken link), great shopping, Lake Pleasant Regional Park, and some of the best schools in Arizona. Find out more about the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix Metro Area), including the street numbering system which is a must to learn quickly, here. Welcome, and may you have many enjoyable years here!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
If you stay in one of the hotels at the Peoria Sports Complex you can walk to dinner and movies. There are a couple of very nice, reasonably priced places there to stay at. I always loved that area, especially the smell coming from the many restaurants. Hope you find Peoria everything we found it to be. Enjoyl.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,615,882 times
Well, how exciting for you! http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Arizona.aspx The online encyclopedia is a good place because it has links to all sorts of things, info, pics. Also, as Observer said you can search any topic here, you can also use the city-data information pages, they have info on every city and pictures as well. Good luck, just ask if there is anything specific you want to know.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 AM

370 posts, read 1,565,712 times
You said you are driving. Two approaches - from the north I-40 thru Flagstaff down I-17 to Loop 101 (on the outskirts of north Phoenix) or from Tucson I-10 all the way up to Loop 101. If you use the second route you will see the I-10 splits near the airport - you can take either way (I-17 or I-10 thru downtown) - the interchange is a little tricky but don't sweat it. The I-17 part loops around the city and hooks back up to I-10 (Los Angeles). Obviously you should mapquest or google. Peoria (I found out recently) can cover a LARGE stretch of land. Do you know where you are going/working/will stay? Have a fun trip - it's a L O N G drive! While still a little warm, the nights are cooling down so, depending on when you come - you may arrive in time to find out why we tolerate the heat all summer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area