Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 PM

40 posts, read 82,411 times

Advertisements

Hi

I will be flying into Phoenix in about 2 weeks to start apartment searching and meet with my new employer. I will be looking for apartments around Peoria or Avondale. I would like to find a reasonably priced hotel in this area. I am a single woman so safety is going to be important.

I am looking at Red Roof Phoenix West which is located off of I-10, just west of downtown Phoenix or extended stay (not sure which one). Are either of these hotels good? What are some other hotels in this area. It seems like I might be there during spring training. Alot of hotels in the Peoria is booked.

Thanks

Last edited by crosscountryski; 03-02-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
A friend of mine stayed at that Red Roof for a long time, but it was several years ago. It was fine then, may still be now. That would be okay, I think.

Spring training is going to complicate your search a little, because there are spring training facilities all over the area you are looking at. I'd also look at locations at the other end of your apartment search, around Bell Rd and the 101. Those are newer, and there's a lot more shopping, etc., in that area than in that stretch of 1-10 where the Red Roof is. They, too, may be affected by spring training, but it's worth a try.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A friend of mine stayed at that Red Roof for a long time, but it was several years ago. It was fine then, may still be now. That would be okay, I think.

Spring training is going to complicate your search a little, because there are spring training facilities all over the area you are looking at. I'd also look at locations at the other end of your apartment search, around Bell Rd and the 101. Those are newer, and there's a lot more shopping, etc., in that area than in that stretch of 1-10 where the Red Roof is. They, too, may be affected by spring training, but it's worth a try.
Hi,

thanks for your help. Do you know of any hotels in the area that you are talking about. I am able to find hotels in the area with space. My problem is that I am learning that Phoenix is so big and I am have trouble trying to figure out best and safest area to stay.

thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM

There's a Hampton Inn at 8408 W Paradise Ln, and a Holiday Inn Express on N 84th Ave. If you can't find anything out that way (and spring training may well complicate things in that part of town) that Red Roof will probably be fine.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 PM

31 posts, read 101,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There's a Hampton Inn at 8408 W Paradise Ln, and a Holiday Inn Express on N 84th Ave. If you can't find anything out that way (and spring training may well complicate things in that part of town) that Red Roof will probably be fine.
This is the exact area I was going to recommend. If you want to be closer to Avondale, there are also some nice hotels at Dysart just north of I10, and on Litchfield road north of I10.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutofAZ View Post
This is the exact area I was going to recommend. If you want to be closer to Avondale, there are also some nice hotels at Dysart just north of I10, and on Litchfield road north of I10.
That's true.. there's several out there. HI Express for one, on both streets, and there are others. Another option, and perhaps not quite so crowded with spring training folks. There's also an HI express up the 101 by the Cardinals stadium, sort of splitting the distance between Avondale and Peoria. It's on Cabela Dr. It would be in Glendale on the HI site.

Last edited by observer53; 03-03-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM

370 posts, read 1,567,536 times
The HI at Westgate is pretty nice. There are three of four hotels located next to Westgate. As is pointed out, there are also several near the junction of the Loop 101 and I-10 (99th Avenue and McDowell) and there's at least a dozen further north near Arrowhead Ranch. I guess it matters whether you want to pay $150/$100 or $70 a night. There are two Legacy SUites (extended stay) at the south end of I-10 and L101 and there are also a couple of extended stays further north at Arrowhead. A major consideration would be where will you be driving to everyday? Gas is $3.90 today; $4.00 soon and then ??? I would say to avoid the Red Roof Inn - you should probably work your way further west if Avondale or Peoria are your goals. Plenty of opportunities - generally a little safer towards Arrowhead (Peoria/GLendale) but closer to baseball so, if that's a consideration it will probably be a little more expensive to.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Hi

Everyone, thanks for your help. So many choices and decisions to make on a hotel. Can't wait till I start apartment shopping.

I am looking at possibly using hotwire. Prices are dropping. I can get a 3 star in Deer Valley, which is the Crown Plaza for about $60. Price is way down for this week. My plan is to watch this week to see if it drops down for next week. It already is. It is about 3-4 miles away from Peoria, on the west side of I-17 or very close to it. Most of my driving will be to Peoria area as that is where I am going to focus my search for apartments on. I was told that this is a good area to live. I may venture over to Scottsdale area to see what it looks like and possibly drive down to Tucson. I really want to spend my week getting a good feel of Phoenix as I will be coming from Alaska. It will be a culture shock with the warm weather and the highways and the traffic.

Gas prices don't shock me, $3.90-4.00 is a good deal. In Alaska, we are looking at over $4.50-5.00. Alot of the hotels are booked due to spring training or they charge an arm and a leg. I am looking at spending around $70 at most as I will not be in the room much. I have thought about extended stay so I can get a kitchen but I have come to realized that I don't want to cook my meals on vacation. I can do that at home.

Any must do's while I am there besides spring training? Any good place to get a haircut? I haven't had one for the last 6 months because of where I am living in Alaska. What is the weather like? What are people wearing? I am trying to start packing but it is weird since I am looking out the window with lots of snow on the ground.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am impressed at how everyone is willing to post and help out new or incoming residents to your state.

thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,355,817 times
If you end up choosing the Red Roof Inn, make sure you sign up for their membership rewards program. You get better reservation service and other perks if you're a member. I used to travel a lot for a job and since I was working freelance, the price of the hotel really mattered to me. I got my best deals/locations at Red Roof. I'm sure there were cheaper chains, but I always felt safe there and got enough free nights that the overall cost was reduced. Enjoy your apartment hunt!

RediCard Rewards & Benefits | Hotel Deals & Discount Hotel Rewards Card | Red Roof Inn

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-04-2012 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM

I hope you are just driving over to Scottsdale to be a tourist.. You don't want to commute that far!

If you make it down to Tucson, go to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and go see the Mission of San Xavier del Bac (the Dove of the Desert) beautiful very old church. Both of those are on the west side of the Tucson area.

Back to topic... if you want more Tucson suggestions for what to see on a short trip, ask the locals in that forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area