Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 AM

784 posts, read 924,324 times

Advertisements

I like Reagan's "trust but verify" statement.

I do a lot of business in the nuclear industry, one of their main idea's is to challenge or have a questioning attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
Let's get the discussion back on track here --> "Phoenix Real Estate Market Keeps Tanking." Get back to the topic, please. Off topic posts will be deleted from this point forward.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
East valley development can help bolster real estate values. (Just figured I better tie in my next statement to the title of thread!) When someone tells me they foresee a sea of 10 story buildings in far southeast Mesa, the critical part of my mind rolls its eyes a little bit.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think it is more skepticism than pessimism, and as you explain above it is more than justified by historical precedent. One ballyhooed project after another pops up in this metro only to end up on the dust heap and forgotten. Never buy into an area on the promise or plan of a developer that something grand is going to happen there. If the past is any indication, it probably won't, or if it does it won't be nearly as grand and ambitious as it was advertised to be. Elaborate malls have a way of turning into car malls, and Nordstroms into Walmarts in the final product. Buy for what you see there NOW, not some pie in the sky developer dream.
I'm not a land investor, nor do I work with land in any way. However, if I were a land investor, then I would buy land based on my estimate of the future use and value of that land, before everyone else knows what's happening in a given area.

DMB did not just buy that land. I think they bought it before others envisioned what could happen in that area.

I look at the Gilbert area, and the construction that's going on now with new homes, the Mormon Temple that has the outside walls almost complete; the expansion of Greenfield Rd in that area; the new church going up to the east of the Temple; and a housing development breaking ground to the east of that, almost over to Higley.

Because of the Temple in the San Tan Growth area where the San Tan Village is located, there will be much more growth in that area, filling in to the east.

Then from the railroad at Williams Field Rd over to the airport, which is part of Gilbert's Gateway Growth area, is a natural for commercial businesses to locate as the airport grows; and it will. Just as the Oakland Airport (across the Bay from the San Francisco airport) grew over a number of years, so will the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway airport. We know that 2 new airlines are serving the airport now, and the airport has been talking to 29 airlines.

Growth, job creation motivate Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport expansion planned

That growth direction, to the east, is the natural direction to grow as Gilbert builds out, and that direction goes to the airport, and then to the east to Eastmark. To the east of Eastmark, east of Signal Butte, there are already many homes that were built since 2000.

The freeways are there. It's very easy to get to that area now via the 202, and the 202 gives quick access to the airport now.

Will Eastmark turn into a pie in the sky project dead in the water? Perhaps, but I don't think so.

Opinion: Type of homes near Gateway is a critical choice

Will it be exactly as on the general plan now? Perhaps not. But I don't envision it dying.

Growth in an area this size takes many years, but growth does happen, and I remain highly optimistic about this little corner of the world.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
East valley development can help bolster real estate values. (Just figured I better tie in my next statement to the title of thread!) When someone tells me they foresee a sea of 10 story buildings in far southeast Mesa, the critical part of my mind rolls its eyes a little bit.
If they were talking about next year, I would agree; no chance. The statement was made about something envisioned 30-40 years from now. By then Gilbert will have been built out, and that part of Mesa will probably be built out. It is normal to go up when they can't be built out.

My feeling is that the growth happening in Gilbert right now, and the growth happening in east Mesa, including the airport, right now, and planned for the future, is going to be a big help to the future of the east valley real estate market.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,632,801 times
I'm thinking property taxes are hurting the recovery, they keep going up. My taxes are now approaching what my mortgage payment used to be 10 years ago.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I'm thinking property taxes are hurting the recovery, they keep going up. My taxes are now approaching what my mortgage payment used to be 10 years ago.
Not for me. My taxes have gone down and are about the same as 1 month's mortgage payment. HOA fees though, that is another story.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
Quote:
Have you ever been back east?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM

272 posts, read 609,869 times
Quote:
Up here, my monthly property taxes already exceed my mortgage payment.

In comparison to Chicago, the Valley's RE taxes are a joke. Scottsdale's are particularly hilarious...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,184,921 times
Question for the experts: if my appraisal comes in too low and LTV is >80%, can I pay down my mortgage to LTV <80% after the appraisal? Do I have a "cash-in grace period"? - I want to avoid paying PMI. Thanks, PL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area