Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM

13 posts, read 57,424 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house in Akwatukee Foothills and I am curious what a reasonable cost for Landscaping Services might be. I know I can call various providers and get quotes (which I will do), but I was thinking that more input is better. (My first quote was about $200/month for weekly service.) The most recent thread on this is from 2008 and I am guessing prices may have changed.

What do you pay for your landscaping service? I know many factors enter into the cost, so please include some of the big ones like square footage (our yard will be around 16,000 sq. ft.), type of vegetation (grass vs. desert vs. plantings...ours will be about 50% grass, 50% desert with a mix of shrubs and trees), and any other big factors that you think are important.

I am not looking for an exact number, just ballpark figures to know if what I get over the phone is reasonable. I am thinking that this thread could help a lot of people know if their costs are in line too. Please avoid names of companies as I am not looking for specific recommendations. Thanks for your time and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM

165 posts, read 405,655 times
1x / month. $80. Desert with artificial grass. Basically, just pull / spray weeds, clean up yard debris from plants.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
I rarely pay but when I do it's been about $100/month for bi-weekly service from a college or high school kid. That was for a 13,000 SF lot with grass, rock, pool, trees, shrubs, (house), etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
I think the best way is to get referrals from some of your neighbors for reliable landscapers that service your area.

Then get quotes from them on the exact service you need.

While we can tell you what we pay, it will be in different areas with different services and different landscapers. While it may offer a ball park, it really won't give you the exact information that you'll need.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM

18 posts, read 50,505 times
We pay $40 a week for our 13,500 sq foot yard. We have about 30% grass, rest is pool and landscaping. They pull weeks, fertilize, mow, trim trees and rake the rock.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 57,424 times
Thank you for the comparison figures. It would be interesting to get more.

Captain Bill's respond is very sensible (no surprise), however, we are not moving into the house/neighborhood for a while as we are getting some major work done on the house. It still needs landscaping service for that interval, so I will probably keep the seller's company on until / if I find a better option.

Long term goal is to switch to more desert landscaping to cut down costs of landscaping work needed and water usage. Seeing what others are paying is interesting especially if I see a strong correlation between desert-like yards and lower costs to maintain. We are definitely leaning towards taking out the grass and replacing with rocks/desert plants or astroturf.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
The 200 quote is pretty reasonable and fair. When I was looking, I was quoted $150 per month for every other week. Beware that many of these companies will charge more for an initial cleanup fee which could be $150-200.

Some other things to consider

1. The person who comes to your place and provides the estimate may or may not be the person who services your lawn. Make sure to ask if that person will be the one coming each week. You might like that person and assume he or she is involved with servicing your lawn.

2. Ask if you are allowed to opt out during winter months. Some companies require that you continue using their service all year or not at all.

3. Many of these "legal" landscaping companies that charge high prices and/or promise better work are just glorified middle men who outsource illegals. That's been my experience anyway.

4. Specify exactly what is entailed in each service. Every company's attention to detail and expectations are different. Make sure you communicate your expectations to them.

5. Ask them what happens when someone doesn't show up to the job? Who do you call? How quickly is a make-up appointment made?

6. Don't make price your primary concern. A landscaper who is reliable (hard to find in this city) and provides quality work each time (again, hard to find) is worth any additional amount of money you might spend within reason of course. I guess what I'm saying is don't avoid a quality company/landscaper over an extra $20-30 per month.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-08-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area