Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 AM

436 posts, read 811,142 times

Advertisements

Okay, so your sttement is basically contradictory in itself- you want a healthy pregnancy, yet you admit to being overweight and not wanting to hear about it.

Sorry, but you can't have things both ways. Most OB physciains will harp on you about the weight issue, and for a darn good reason. The health and well being of your infant is at stake. You are asking him to take you as a patient, while demanding that he not be concerned about your health, or to not say anything.

The OB's pay a lot of money each year for this entity called "malpractice." All too many people jump on the bandwagon of such, as soon as something bad happens. I am not saying you would do this, but it is something they must consider each and every day of their practice. He has an obligation to tell you how things are, and what can be done about it.

My suggestion is to contact Tricare and get the names of a few OB's in your area who are on the Tricare prime plans. Then- check them out on the internet if you wish, through the medical boards websites (MD's- www.mdboard.org; (broken link). For the DO's, the site is osteoboard.org

Listen to what they have to say, and abide by it. Everything done for you is done with the best interest of your infant in mind.

Before quitting here- thanks to your husband for this contribution to this Country. Thank you for standing by him in these times. As one wth over twenty years of military service, I know what he, and you, are going through.
May God keep him safe, and get him back to you soon.

Good luck with your pregnancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Very valid points, EddieK!

Why would anyone pay good money to any doctor merely to hear what they want to hear . . . NOT THE TRUTH?

In this case, the truth may hurt but it is the truth and must be stated!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 21,313 times
Good luck with your pregnancy and I hope everything turns out just fine!!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid points, EddieK!

Why would anyone pay good money to any doctor merely to hear what they want to hear . . . NOT THE TRUTH?

In this case, the truth may hurt but it is the truth and must be stated!
"Truth" is a very subjective and elusive thing, Bummer. Many "truths" out there depending on your outlook and caring about who and why promotes each individual "truth."

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

180 posts, read 794,456 times
I wish you lived in San Antonio TX because there is a great OB-GYN here who was wonderful to me. I was overweight and she did not harp on that but instead made sure we took great care of me and the little one.

I think some of the posters here mean well but ... Guys, she is pregnant now. Harping on her weight doesn't help. Her Dr. should make sure she is eating healthy, doing some safe exercises (or not if you are high risk), watching her blood sugar levels because the last thing you want is gestational diabetes, and if OP already has high blood pressure, make with medication you keep it in check.

Good luck jmcmillan113! I wish you all the best and a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
"Truth" is a very subjective and elusive thing, Bummer. Many "truths" out there depending on your outlook and caring about who and why promotes each individual "truth."
I agree, SierraAZ!

However, any Medical Professional worth his weight in "do do" would be considered extremely unprofessional (not to mention possibly liable if a problem should occur) if the three letter "F" word was not addressed in this case.

Sadly, the same applies to Smoking and Excessive Drinking.

If one does not want to hear the cold hard truth (read: proven medical facts) . . . stay home and save the money.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
I wish you lived in San Antonio TX because there is a great OB-GYN here who was wonderful to me. I was overweight and she did not harp on that but instead made sure we took great care of me and the little one.

I think some of the posters here mean well but ... Guys, she is pregnant now. Harping on her weight doesn't help. Her Dr. should make sure she is eating healthy, doing some safe exercises (or not if you are high risk), watching her blood sugar levels because the last thing you want is gestational diabetes, and if OP already has high blood pressure, make with medication you keep it in check.

Good luck jmcmillan113! I wish you all the best and a happy and healthy pregnancy!
I agree 100%! All it does is put more stress on the mother to harp on her about her weight.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
read: proven medical facts
That's the problem! There are many "studies," whose only purpose is to serve somebody's agenda, many times "the agenda of the day" (i.e. "oops, we changed our mind" in 10-20 years). There are also plenty of studies carefully concealed because they do not serve particular agendas. To each his own... No offense to the medical profession in general (I do understand everybody has to make a living and that living can't always /if ever/ be in sink with our ethical beliefs... provided we have any), but if I were in it, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night - particularly nowadays and particularly in this country. Anyway, have no plans to elaborate on this. Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Anyway, have no plans to elaborate on this. Let's just agree to disagree.
DEAL! ! ! ! !

Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
DEAL! ! ! ! !
Wow, Bummer, this icon () is called "eek, eek." You're using it a whole lot! Start wondering if I'm that icky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area