Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM

202 posts, read 981,996 times

Advertisements

Your Doctor is trying to help you. Extra weight only leads to diabetes, heart failure, hypertension, stroke, coronary artery disease...

If you don't want to get better, why bother going to the doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,532,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmillan113 View Post
I am moving back to az this week and just recently found out i am pregnant. I need a weight friendly Ob that accepts Tricare Prime. cuz i am a big girl, and when you're pregnant you don't need a doctor that is harsh with their comments. I am wanting to make this pregnancy as healthy as possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
I know of one thing here in the southwest part of the U.S. that (particularly Arizona) a lot of places are not weight friendly. No where! Even restuarants and some bars/nightclubs. I'm not a big girl, but I'm not one of these "Olive Oyl" types either that say they are healthy (when in reality they are probably suffering from eating disorders and smoke like a chimney).

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
I had my son delivered by Dr. Jean Moon.
Neat! She actually did my follow up in the hospital when she was on call. She's in the same practice as Dr. Carter, who delivered my son almost a year ago (holy wow, time goes fast!). Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who goes to the doc on a need basis, so I'm not familiar with Mesa OBs. I was working in south Scottsdale at the time, even though I live in Gilbert, so I chose that practice. Dr. Carter was fantastic. He was always willing to chat and was not condescending in any way. Dr. Moon was a sweetheart too. I know what you mean about patronizing docs. They assume that unless you have a medical degree, that you know nothing. But, I would think that you could have a trial visit and you'll know right away if the doc is going to be respectful of you.

Also, one thing I did while looking for an OB is google the dr's name to see their credentials, see how many babies they've delivered and if they tend to do a lot of c-sections. I wanted to avoid a c-section, though of course I would have one if necessary (I didn't have to, thankfully). Also, I had gestational diabetes while pregnant, and my doc was super supportive and encouraging. I don't know about other hospital systems, but with Scottsdale Healthcare, I had a lot of support, with extra education and monitoring for my GD.

Anyway, I wish I could give you a practice name or Dr. in Mesa, but if I were in your position, I would just try it out and see how the Dr. treats you at your first visit. Nothing wrong with switching to another Dr. if you don't like him/her.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Also, I am of "normal" weight, but I still had Gestational Diabetes, and it's not a good thing. Mine was hereditary, however, it is still a huge deal, overweight or not. If you have a 3-year-old, then maybe you already know if you are prone to it or not...I hope you don't get it...it's really tough to control, and, unfortunately, diet plays a huge part in controlling it while you're pregnant.
I agree with you. GD is awful, and has more to do with genetics, diet and exercise than weight. Yeah, it's hard to go on the diabetes diet and check your blood every 2 hours, but it is possible to control (sometimes). Luckily, as soon as I started the crazy eating routine, my blood sugar levels returned to normal, and my son was born at an normal birth weight. I can't keep up that diet all the time because I just can't eat 8 times a day, but I am glad for all the support I received, allowing me to have a completely normal delivery.

As far as the people berating the creator of this thread for being overweight, that's just silly. I don't understand why people still don't get that not all people can control their weight, and that not everyone was born to be skinny. I have a little bit of extra meat on my bones, but I also have a lot of muscle and thick bones, which adds a lot of weight to my frame (I blame my viking blood for that). If I were to lose all the fat on my body, I still would never be skinny. I really don't like it when people expect others to fit into some model of perfection, which includes being skinny. Hey, I'd rather pack on an extra 10 pounds of fat than be like some of those anorexic girls who end up having a heart attack because their body can't support normal functions anymore.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM

436 posts, read 811,404 times
Really, and honestly, are you looking for someone who will tell you the truth, or someone who will agree with your own feelings?

Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,696 times
Talking But even though your a guy, you tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Seeing no one has replied yet, I want to suggest asking locals friends and co-workers after you move as referrals are often the best but if that is not pertinent, you could conduct your own search on Kudzu.com - Atlanta restaurant reviews, doctors, mechanics, day care, beauty salons, and more and read about the reviews from other clients who had experience.

Sorry a bit vague but being a guy, I couldn't really be more specific.

Good Luck!

awww that was nice of you to respond when no one had replied. you got a big heart......................after all

Old 10-07-2007, 03:29 AM

33 posts, read 101,510 times
Quote:
Thanks again for those of you with helpful comments. Again let me straighten out my question. I need an OB that will tell me everything both good and bad, but not someone who is going to be an ass about it. Someone with good bedside manners. I already have enough to stress about with my husband going to Iraq and me being alone and pregnant with a 3 year old. I am an AZ native, so to those who were wondering if i knew which areas u were talking about, i do. thanks again!

I don't know of a OBGYN in Mesa. But I have one at 67th and UnionHills. He is great. He delievered both my kids, and both my friends kids. We are both overweight a little bit, and he never gave us any problems with it. He never even mentioned it to me. I live in Buckeye, and I would travel an hour to see him for my appointments. Like I said he is the best. His name is Daniel Hu and his office number is 623-561-7250

Hope that helps. Good luck with the pregnancy.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,465 times
didOc, I was wondering if I could get the name of your doc. I am here in San Antonio and am looking for a new OBGYN.

Thanks,
savsm0m

Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 PM

225 posts, read 962,800 times
Quote:
I am moving back to az this week and just recently found out i am pregnant. I need a weight friendly Ob that accepts Tricare Prime. cuz i am a big girl, and when you're pregnant you don't need a doctor that is harsh with their comments. I am wanting to make this pregnancy as healthy as possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
I think there is a lot of unnecessary confusion and miscommunication. I was overweight when I had my first two children. The doctor is telling you to lose weight for the sake of your baby's survival and health. You can develop gestational diabetes which can lead to complications during your pregnancy. No doctor enjoys telling a patient they are overweight. The last thing they want to do is upset you. They take no pleasure in doing that but they would be an irresponsible physician if they just told you what you want to hear. My OB was Dr. Qwatra in Scottsdale. I highly recommend her. I don't know if she accepts Tricare but you can call her. There are also legal issue. Let's assume the physician didn't advise you to lose weight and you develop a complication during your pregnancy. You could technically sue the doctor for failing to advise you. Sounds farfetched..hardly, there are people who sue doctors all the time any time something goes wrong.

I think there is a way in which a doctor can advise you on losing weight without it being offensive. If the doctor is kind in his or her approach and you are still offended, then I think you need to accept that your insecurity about your weight could affect your child's health and that maybe you should consider the doctor's advice instead of being defensive. But I do agree that some OB/GYN physicians can be rude about weight issues particularly females.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:09 PM

225 posts, read 962,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's the problem! There are many "studies," whose only purpose is to serve somebody's agenda, many times "the agenda of the day" (i.e. "oops, we changed our mind" in 10-20 years). There are also plenty of studies carefully concealed because they do not serve particular agendas. To each his own... No offense to the medical profession in general (I do understand everybody has to make a living and that living can't always /if ever/ be in sink with our ethical beliefs... provided we have any), but if I were in it, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night - particularly nowadays and particularly in this country. Anyway, have no plans to elaborate on this. Let's just agree to disagree.
These are proven medical facts based on experience and recorded data. What do you think is going on when the doctors, nurses, case workers and techs are writing notes and checking the monitors and lab values. All of that information gets recorded. If there is a complication, it is recorded by several people. They are not making this up in their head. There are also hard data based on the monitors and machines that record what they are seeing. These facts are not based on some research study. You are just trying to rationalize your way of thinking instead of accepting the truth that the doctor is telling you the facts. You sound like a smoker who still preaches that nicotine isn't bad for him and doesn't cause lung cancer. I feel sorry for doctors who have to endure patients like yourself. They are doing their best to take care of you and all you can do is complain because they told you the truth instead of massaging your ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area