Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ bound View Post
Even more effective.....spraying them with a mixture of shot pellets and gun powder.
As if in Arizona there would be any coyotes left if they killed a person.
It would be open season in a heart beat.
Then that would spawn the marches, and people laying their bodies in front of the coyotes. OMG, it would be a mess. lol CNN would be soooo happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

509 posts, read 1,700,276 times
i live outside of town in a remote area . i have coyotes , mountain lions , and who knows what else . none of them scare me as much as a pack of dogs gone wild . ANd there are pack of dogs here roaming around .
one time walking my dog a pack of about 7 dogs came after me . one dog advanced head on towards me , two dogs circle3d around to my back . at thast point i drew my 9mm and fired it into the ground in front of the dog . at the shot they turned tail and ran off .

Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I a bit jealous as this seems to have out staged my Gila Monster scare thread.
That was one of the best ones ever! Marauding coyotes biting nappers in chaise lounges is scary. But monsters...

Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
That was one of the best ones ever! Marauding coyotes biting nappers in chaise lounges is scary. But monsters...
LOL, at least I got a well deserved reputation.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
LOL, at least I got a well deserved reputation.
It was a wonderful "introduction" to the forum. You were a very good sport!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,214,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not trying to be alarmist, but even an adult can be at risk of being badly mauled or even killed by coyotes. In a widely publicized at the time event, a young woman was killed by what is now believed to have been three coyotes, in October of 2009 on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.
Well to be fair, given the number of coyotes and coyote-human encounters the fact that there is exactly one fatal coyote attack on an adult ever recorded North America the "can be at risk" might as well be applied to getting caught in a wood chipper or having a saguaro fall on you. One's time would probably be better spent worrying about how to spend lottery winnings in case that happens.

For perspective, there are approx 50 fatalities from bees/wasps annually in the US.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,766,587 times
I think they killed all three of them. So here come the rats and snakes after the Coyote population dwidles.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM

111 posts, read 339,411 times
Default Gruesome Character of Coyotes

I know coyotes. I was born in Phoenix in 1945, moved to San Diego in 1989.
I had a friend, Spike, who lived outside Needles, California, in the desert. He had a hard time making ends meet and he lived in a huge, dead, hollow Saguaro cactus. He hired out to a group to clean their house and so forth, and they worked him to the bone and paid him very little. They turned out to be a group of coyotes, of course.
Spike's brother was Snoopy, and now and then Spike hitchhiked to Snoopy's place and stayed with his brother, and Charlie Brown, Lucy, Woodstock, Linus, Sally, Schroeder, and the rest.
It made Spike and Snoopy remember the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm.
Coyotes will work a dog or a man right down to the bone, if you don't stop them.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Well to be fair, given the number of coyotes and coyote-human encounters the fact that there is exactly one fatal coyote attack on an adult ever recorded North America the "can be at risk" might as well be applied to getting caught in a wood chipper or having a saguaro fall on you. One's time would probably be better spent worrying about how to spend lottery winnings in case that happens.

For perspective, there are approx 50 fatalities from bees/wasps annually in the US.
What about non fatal or almost attacked? I know there were a few in MT where the person was surrounded by a pack but were able to get away.

Personally I don't want to wait and see if they'd kill me or just wound me. If coyotes/wolves etc are coming up to me instead of moving away then they've become an unpredictable danger to be stopped by whatever means at hand.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 AM

19 posts, read 30,575 times
carry a handgun at all times you are outside...a small 22 would suffice....problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area