Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 06:25 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,453,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
But here is a "catch". The younger generation of Phoenix is accepting, but that is because many of them are far left liberal with open acceptance of homosexuality, bisexuality, gender fluidity, metrosexuality, etc. Many of them are also no longer religious - the "Nones". They won't have a problem with interracial couples - but it's because they are so liberal that it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. I don't know if you feel comfortable with a far-left, pansexual movement in the younger population of Phoenix. From my time in SEC country, I found southerners to be fairly religious and conservative.
This thread is from 2012. I'm sure the OP and their family have long since decided where to live. Nevertheless, I suppose no thread, no matter how old or off-topic, can be wasted in warning everyone about the bogeyman of the "pansexual movement." Being close to retirement age, I'm definitely not part of the younger generation, but I'm proud to be a "none" when it comes to religion, and I don't waste my time worrying about other people's sexual orientation or gender identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 10:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
<snip>
But here is a "catch". The younger generation of Phoenix is accepting, but that is because many of them are far left liberal with open acceptance of homosexuality, bisexuality, gender fluidity, metrosexuality, etc. Many of them are also no longer religious - the "Nones". They won't have a problem with interracial couples - but it's because they are so liberal that it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. I don't know if you feel comfortable with a far-left, pansexual movement in the younger population of Phoenix. From my time in SEC country, I found southerners to be fairly religious and conservative.
This poster seems to have a weird obsession with perpetuating this bizarre notion of a "pansexual movement" in Phoenix. To all sane people reading this, it doesn't exist, despite this poster injecting it in numerous threads. Also, it's not just "far left liberals" that are accepting of others' sexual identities. Many people of all political persuasions aren't at all concerned with who others love and fornicate with.

The one correct thing noted here is that the area isn't very religious, so these judgmental types will be in the minority. Interracial couples are a nothingburger here.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
I just had a rental property in East Mesa on the market and a gay couple were interested. They weren't concerned at all about the neighborhood although the drive to work for one (Tempe) was a drawback.

A White woman who rents one of my properties has a Black boyfriend.

Don't know what it was like years ago but today the Phx metro appears to have a "live and let live" attitude.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:17 PM

397 posts, read 319,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interracial Couple View Post
Hi,
My husband (white) and I (AA) are contemplating moving to the Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, or Gilbert area at the end of the year. I am completing a Ph.D. and my husband is a Flooring Contractor. We have two children, a boy (4) and a girl (1), we are from Lexington, KY. I an curious as to the racial climate, meaning are any of the communities I mentioned above, racially diverse, friendly, accepting, etc... This will be a major move for our family and I just wanted to get an idea from those of you living or who have lived in any of these areas. Also of particular interests are schools, in which of these communities will we find the best school system and are the schools welcoming of mixed children?

Thanks.
Hi. FWIW, I'm also the son of a black mother and a white father. Interracial relationships are pretty common in the Phoenix area, although white-Hispanic (mainly Mexican) and white-Asian are more common than white-black, especially when the husband is white. I'm not very familiar with Lexington, KY, but my impression is that this should be less of an issue in Phoenix than in the Lexington area.

Phoenix as a whole doesn't have a large black population or Asian population. About 90% of the population is either white or Hispanic (mostly Mexican). But I think people are more tolerant these days than they were when I was a kid (I'm almost 40). I don't see your kids being picked on as much as I was by both black and white kids, although even in my case in those days, the vast majority of the kids and adults were tolerant. I also think besides racism being less prevalent, bully culture as a whole is being cracked down on.

Just in case you're looking for a place with a larger black population in the area, of the four cities you mentioned, Gilbert and Chandler have the larger black populations, with Gilbert being 6% black and Tempe being 5.9% black. Phoenix itself is 6.5% black. The metropolitan area overall is 5% black. The city with the highest percentage of black residents in the Phoenix area is Maricopa with 9.7%. The 2nd highest is Goodyear with 6.7%.

You may not be particularly interested in those areas, though. Mesa, Chandler, Tempe and Gilbert seem like nicer areas overall. Wherever you end up, good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area