Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,759 times

Advertisements

Visit Home to see a map of proposed road improvements in the area (pfpc07.org).

I live 2-3 miles NE of Anthem at Merrill Ranch and I recently received a 5-page letter from the Magma Flood Control District saying that my property is in a flood zone. When I bought my place 7 yrs ago, nothing indicated my property being in a flood zone, but apparently the county just re-did their maps. The website is www.azmfcd.org. You might want to contact them and see if Anthem is located in this flood zone (after studying their outdated map, it looks like Anthem might indeed be included).

Apparently there is a diversion dam off of AZ Farms Rd. that is unsafe and at elevated risk. They are saying the dam will be repaired at some point, but the needed funds are being used for Katrina recovery.

The letter also states that the $7 million needed for repairs will likely come from property taxes. Anyone who lives within this flood district may see their property taxes jump.

There are so many "pro's" to living in this area, but it's good to know the "con's" too, so you can make an informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 AM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
The increased property tax possibility is a definate issue. That is one of the main issues and reasons we are leaving Texas. We are currently taxed at $2.41 per $100 in valuation. Completely out of control here. I do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire so to speak.

Does any one in the area have some property tax examples so we have a better idea of what we are looking at?

Currently our Texas house is worth $176,000 assessed at $152,000 with annual property taxes of $3200.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
The increased property tax possibility is a definate issue. That is one of the main issues and reasons we are leaving Texas. We are currently taxed at $2.41 per $100 in valuation. Completely out of control here. I do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire so to speak.

Does any one in the area have some property tax examples so we have a better idea of what we are looking at?

Currently our Texas house is worth $176,000 assessed at $152,000 with annual property taxes of $3200.
You can do a search and get more info as it's been discussed a few times. But, overall it looks to be about .33 - .50% of the purchase price, roughly of course.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 AM

343 posts, read 552,026 times
I just got my tax notice in and based on assessed full cash value of $245k, I'll pay $2600 or $1300 every 6 months. This is for year 2007. I think it's high because the county is going to need to reassess. The values are based on 2005-2006 values and market value has been decreasing. I expect next year's to be lower, but Pinal County gets most of their revenue from property taxes so who knows.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,530 times
Default Athem at Merrill Ranch

What they should say is "Welcome to Athem of Florence""Home of the Arizona State Prison" It's not that far down the road. Just food for thought!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 PM

There's a prison closer to the Anthem off 17. Why not say that, too?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
There's a prison closer to the Anthem off 17. Why not say that, too?
What prison are you referring to?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
What prison are you referring to?
Probably referring to Adobe Mountain "School" (male juveniles), 2800 W. Pinnacle Peak Road Phoenix, AZ 85083 and Black Canyon "School" (female juveniles), 24601 North 29th Avenue Phoenix, AZ 85083. They may be called schools but don't kid yourself; they are prisons. Once a part of the Arizona Department of Corrections, now under separate management called the Arizona Department of Juvenile Corrections.
Arizona Department of Juvenile Corrections - History (http://www.juvenile.state.az.us/AgencyInfo/History.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlf.chevy View Post
What they should say is "Welcome to Athem of Florence""Home of the Arizona State Prison" It's not that far down the road. Just food for thought!
The same could be said of San Francisco- San Quentin is only about ten miles from the Golden Gate Bridge and it borders San Rafael, the county seat of Marin County. And the California Men's Colony is only about three miles from downtown San Luis Obispo.

But if you want to scare people, you should have mentioned that there's more than one ASP facility in the area. There's also the Pinal County Jail, a private prison run by Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) filled with out of state criminals and an INS detention center as well.

It is a legitimate concern for some I guess, but in reality, no matter where you live, you have more to fear from the criminals living in and around your community that haven't been caught than the ones in lockup.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM

That's the point I would have made, but you clearly did for me. In over 12 years I've never had one experience with the prison except to see it and talk to some who work there. It's a non issue just like the prison off I-17 by Anthem. The doctor that may have caused death to some patients there is an example of the real crooks to watch out for.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Although it has no bearing on Anthem, the worst thing about the prison(s) in Florence is the annual biker run in late winter (early spring for AZ). One day every year hundreds of motorcycle "club" members and wannabes assemble in the valley and Tucson, then ride around the Arizona State Prison to show support for their "brothers" inside. Then they go to Yolanda's south of town and get drunk. There is seldom any trouble, just a traffic nightmare. The turnout by local law enforcement, DPS and the state Gang Task force is equally impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area