Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,867,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Nana, you need to be commended. You are a speciasl one of a kind.
Snobsville (Scottsdale) people as a whole are so self centered and enamored by their own egos and status that they get lost in the world of reality.

Give me a break...I could not even get through this thread. Silly. The OP called 911 for a drunk on the street, good for her, but she's not Mother Theresa. How hard is it to call 911?

How many times has this drunk passed out at this particular gas station? Perhaps why nobody working there was really concerned?

And the OP seem to think that TOO many people responded, but then treated him like a passed out drunk. HE WAS A PASSED OUT DRUNK.

I swear Scottsdale at Shea is not a fancy area. Looking for trouble if you see a way the firemen/police responded. I can't imagine having their job and thank God for them everyday.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,281,782 times
Discuss your opinions without ad hominem attacks, please.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,195,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Say what you will but do not hate me for bringing a realistic perspective on the issue! Or hate me for all I care.
The fact is, if you are homeless that is one thing and I can sympathize but you are a homeless who passes out on the street on a hot Summer day with a beer bottle in your hand-make no mistake my lady- you ARE a bum and a parasite.
We all may fall down but you choose to stay down with a beer bottle in your hand instead of looking for a way to get up you are SOL. If you have mental issues, well...isn't this something the city/state has to handle with our tax dollars?
When was the last time you gave some money to those so called 'homeless' who said they were starving for X amount of days and actually bought food with the money you gave them?
I offered to buy food to this "homeless" gave who insisted on receiving the $$ instead and when I insisted on buying him the food, he said thanks and walked away.
You are fooling yourself if you think you will end this problem or their suffering buy giving them some change or food/drink. If you are doing something more effective I'd love to know but if not, give me a flippin' break, ok?
Geez, stop reading things that we never said. You are adding your own thoughts thinking we are saying it!

No one ever said they thought they were going to end this problem by giving money or food.

Another thing, it is SUPPOSED to be the government's job to handle the mental health issues, but like many things with the govt they are NOT doing a good job. They give MILLIONS of our tax dollars to a half-ass private (for profit) company and they turn around and make millions more. We rank 48th in the nation for our mental health services.

I think your thoughts are not only UNamerican, they are UNhuman. The ignorance is what is bringing our country down. Have a little compassion, not all homeless are drunks.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,784,860 times
We had a real homeless problem in Chico and the city made house pets out of them. I felt so bad for them most of the time. We donated to build them a stainless steel bathroom that they could shower in but they smeared it with feces and what not. Sometimes they chose to poop in our office doorway. What can you do? I think water would be the least someone could offer, but money will go for alcohol or drugs. Chico had a "feeding" station that provided three fantastic meals a day, including homemade bread. Very few would show up and most chose to rumage through the trash cans. Mentally ill people are hard to help sometimes. I was surprised at the lack of shelters in this hot desert.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM

461 posts, read 1,812,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Discuss your opinions without ad hominem attacks, please.
I believe each and every post here is FULL of ad hominem attacks.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Geez, stop reading things that we never said. You are adding your own thoughts thinking we are saying it!
Yes, exactly how I feel about being accused of being negative or a non-caring person. I NEVER said I wouldn't have helped the guy . . . I simply said not to lump all of Scottsdale into a non-caring community because that, in and of itself, was JUDGING - and unfairly so.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Wow, I find this to be the worse of this thread.

Like someone else said, MOST americans are 1-2 paychecks away from being HOMELESS (NOT a "bum"). There are thousands of reasons why a person becomes homeless, we don't know the reasons, but some are quick to jump to conclusions that they are parasites. I think that perception, or belief, is very disheartening. Don't forget about the huge percentage who are mentally ill and have no one to help them with their illness. What a bunch of crap!
Absolutely not true! Here are some links to back my statement up:

Understanding Poverty and Economic Inequality in the United States
Poverty in the United States, by Isabel V. Sawhill: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics: Library of Economics and Liberty (http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/PovertyintheUnitedStates.html - broken link)

Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM

647 posts, read 3,345,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, you don't wanna be homeless anywhere. And why are you surprised...? Isn't proof of insurance the first thing you're asked of in ER?! Vitals can wait... it's not that important.
That's actually not true. ER's are not allowed to turn you away and they risk their government funding if they do. Hospitals do NOT want to lose their government funding. Why do you think so many uninsured people with ear infections and stomach aches go to the ER?????? Because they KNOW they will be seen. I can't tell you how many people we picked up in the ambulance who didn't have insurance but we were bound, by law and ethics, to administer care and bring them to the ER, and they were ALWAYS treated....and sometimes asked for a ride back home in the ambulance afterwards b/c they didn't have a ride home. I can guarantee you that the paramedics that arrived on scene with that homeless guy that started this whole thread did NOT ask for his proof of insurance before they worked on him.

People complain about the health care system here in the US, and I agree that we have many problems. But we already have a socialized system of medicine - it's the hospital ER's.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
I have lived in this area for over 20 years. I have a right to state my opinion of what I encounter. You will fit right in by the way.
Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,702,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Absolutely not true! Here are some links to back my statement up:

Understanding Poverty and Economic Inequality in the United States
Poverty in the United States, by Isabel V. Sawhill: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics: Library of Economics and Liberty (http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/PovertyintheUnitedStates.html - broken link)
The first link is to an article which , using Census Bureau figures, would have us believe that only 718,000 Americans go hungry every year. I believe that figure to be incorrect.

The same article states that the Census Bureau undercounted Medicaid recipients by a mere 17.4 million. Yet, we are to accept their figures on poverty as accurate?

You'll need better links than this to convince others of whatever it is you're trying to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area