Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,219,412 times

Advertisements

Living in poverty as reported by the Census is NOT the same thing as being 1-2 paychecks away from homelessness, so that is not an accurate observation. The people 1-2 paychecks away from homelessness (which again is a substantial number of people in the US) are no way "living in poverty". These people have enough to pay their bills and get by and keep whatever standard of living they have (which may be quite high)-that is not poverty. But if that income were to suddenly disappear is the point.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,333,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
I am proving that this statement: "MOST americans are 1-2 paychecks away from being HOMELESS" is totally untrue. Although 12% of Americans living is poverty is, to me, a HIGH percentage, it is NOT "most Americans" . Look around - do you actually think the "majority" of the population of AZ (or any other state for that matter) is "1 to 2 paychecks away from being homeless?"

"Yeah" ...

Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 PM

461 posts, read 1,812,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Living in poverty as reported by the Census is NOT the same thing as being 1-2 paychecks away from homelessness, so that is not an accurate observation. The people 1-2 paychecks away from homelessness (which again is a substantial number of people in the US) are no way "living in poverty". These people have enough to pay their bills and get by and keep whatever standard of living they have (which may be quite high)-that is not poverty. But if that income were to suddenly disappear is the point.
Sorry, but I think anyone who lives paycheck to paycheck is creating their own problems. People who just can't seem to save money for those "unknown emergencies" need to look at their spending habits. People who live paycheck to paycheck most likely bought a house they can't afford, or a car they can't afford or spend money on things they can't afford. And, if that income that is so obviously insufficient to begin with suddenly disappears, again, poor planning on that person's part. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM

44,700 posts, read 61,874,800 times
Too many people are living paycheck to paycheck cuz the want to keep up with the Joneses by having 2 cars, a large house, new furniture, 5 TV's, plus their extravagant spending on vacations, toys for the kids, lottery tickets, beer parties, etc etc.
Personal responsibility and common sense to living style went out the window years ago, starting with the hippie generation.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 13,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
However, I will say that the people of this area are the worst. I smiled at a woman at the grocery store today to have her give me a dirty look, and almost hit me with her cart. (Not to mention the people I already mentioned that wouldn't give a squirt of pee to help out a stranger in need.)
I would agree but don't let it get you down on all of Arizona. As a whole the valley is a good place. I lived in Scottsdale for a short time too and really hated it - the vast majority of the people are exactly like the lady in the grocery store you described - but once I moved out of Scottsdale I became quite happy again. I live in the north-central corridor and not only do you forget that Scottsdale even exists over here, but I have lots of entrepreneurs and real business owners around me, not all the fakers and story-tellers you meet in Scottsdale. Moving to a true upscale part of the valley confirms all your suspicions that Scottsdale is really Fakesdale. It's not just a myth concocted by jealous people as they'd have you believe. It's all true.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM

647 posts, read 3,346,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Too many people are living paycheck to paycheck cuz the want to keep up with the Joneses by having 2 cars, a large house, new furniture, 5 TV's, plus their extravagant spending on vacations, toys for the kids, lottery tickets, beer parties, etc etc.
Personal responsibility and common sense to living style went out the window years ago, starting with the hippie generation.
Hey wait a minute! You just crossed the line here dude. Beer parties where copious amounts of alcohol are consumed is most certainly NOT "extravagant spending." That's just crazy talk. Seriously! Have you ever tried to go a week without a beer party?!?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM

461 posts, read 1,812,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Hey wait a minute! You just crossed the line here dude. Beer parties where copious amounts of alcohol are consumed is most certainly NOT "extravagant spending." That's just crazy talk. Seriously! Have you ever tried to go a week without a beer party?!?

Finally, something in this thread that made me laugh out loud! Thanks, Boatdrinks!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM

376 posts, read 492,439 times
Quote:
I'm guessing Scottsdale is one of them . . . people call 911 and emergency vehicles show up quickly!
Guess again. It is very hot here. NOT a good place to be without AC for months on end. And once the vehicles leave, then what?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I think anyone who lives paycheck to paycheck is creating their own problems. People who just can't seem to save money for those "unknown emergencies" need to look at their spending habits. People who live paycheck to paycheck most likely bought a house they can't afford, or a car they can't afford or spend money on things they can't afford. And, if that income that is so obviously insufficient to begin with suddenly disappears, again, poor planning on that person's part. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.
It must be nice to never have known what it is like to not be able to afford basic life needs. You have no idea of what you are speaking by your response here. If you have bills that are a certain amount, and a job that pays just barely enough-it is easy math. How many children should we orphan in this country? Is 3 jobs per parent going to be what is necessary to live? YOU NEED TO STOP LUMPING EVERYONE INTO THE CATERGORY OF "PEOPLE NEEDING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS" AND REALIZE THAT NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME. NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME SKILLS. NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE THE KICKASS JOBS-JUST BY LOGIC. HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN DO A CERTAIN JOB? HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO GO TO SCHOOL? OR HAVE THE APTTITUDE FOR IT? NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I am guessing this man is not in that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area