Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:02 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,370 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Scottsdale, and have only been there a few times. It looks nice passing through.

I live in Tolleson for proximity to family, and also because most of the East Valley was cost prohibitive.

Having been here just over a year, and posting on these boards, I can easily say that this place is the mist divisive community I have ever lived in.

It's illegals vs. citizens. Scottsdale elite vs. down-to-earth middle class. Government vs. pro-illegal business. Natives vs. transplants. East Valley vs. West Valley. Sherriff Joe vs. everyone.

No wonder people complain about lack of community here. There are so many opposing groups of people that Phoenix can't make any progress. It's crazy.

Not to invite any "go back to Chicago then" criticism, but at least there the different groups somewhat blended together to create a cultural melting pot, not dozens of divisive groups hating all the other groups.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saguarodave View Post
Looks like you're fishing for a few "cyber pats on the back" yourself.
Nope, no thanks. Don't want any. Just letting Ms. Nana know she keeps judging people without knowing what she's talking about.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hey wiseguy, if she started a new thread telling all that, I might have agreed with you but if you found yourself unfairly attacked and misunderstood, you just might have done the same thing.

So, discuss the topic on hand, bring some insight, your own experience or thoughts on the main issue but do not judge others' answers with a single comment on your very first post, ok?

This had already become a very ugly, off base argumentative thread that we need no other posts as they will neither be constructive nor helpful.

Imho, I think this thread should have never been started to begin with but at least it should be closed asap.
Thanks, TurcoLoco. And I agree, time to shut this threat down forever!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM

235 posts, read 922,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Having been here just over a year, and posting on these boards, I can easily say that this place is the mist divisive community I have ever lived in.

It's illegals vs. citizens. Scottsdale elite vs. down-to-earth middle class. Government vs. pro-illegal business. Natives vs. transplants. East Valley vs. West Valley. Sherriff Joe vs. everyone.

No wonder people complain about lack of community here. There are so many opposing groups of people that Phoenix can't make any progress. It's crazy.

Not to invite any "go back to Chicago then" criticism, but at least there the different groups somewhat blended together to create a cultural melting pot, not dozens of divisive groups hating all the other groups.
I grew up in Chicago and don't share your feelings at all. One could easily make the same comments about there. It's Blacks vs. Whites, North Shore Elite vs. down to earth middle class. Chicago democrats versus suburban republicans. South Side versus Northside. I could go on, but you get the idea. You see what you want to see.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,370 times
Bill,

The worst North-south side stuff I saw was with baseball. You had some elite suburbs, you had some ghetto spots.

But when it comes to cultural harmony, what I witnessed over 11 years was WAY more prevelant there than here. And I think it had to do with it being an older established city/metropolis.

And taking away the most and least affluent areas, you had relative acceptance of people.

I don't see that here, and trust me, I want to see it.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 PM

235 posts, read 922,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Bill,

The worst North-south side stuff I saw was with baseball. You had some elite suburbs, you had some ghetto spots.

But when it comes to cultural harmony, what I witnessed over 11 years was WAY more prevelant there than here. And I think it had to do with it being an older established city/metropolis.

And taking away the most and least affluent areas, you had relative acceptance of people.

I don't see that here, and trust me, I want to see it.
What's the worst East Valley vs. West Valley stuff you have seen here ? a few jokes about stuck up east valley snobs or west side rednecks ?

My grandparents lived in Beverly on the SW side. The racial tension there was so thick you could cut it with a stick. I spent many summers listening to people rambling on and on about the "wrong" people moving in. We moved to Elgin and I got to experience tremendous tension and sometimes a little violence between the whites and the burgeoning illegal Mexican population. The city of Chicago is still largely balkanized ethnic neighborhoods. I'm just not seeing this acceptance you speak of. I did look in that other thread though and saw where you lived.

Quote:
I'm from Chicago, lived in River North and Wrigleyville, Schaumburg, Naperville, Plainfield, and Naperville again.
I suppose had I lived in those type of areas and not seen the hatred between the blacks and whites on the South Side or the fear and loathing of the mexicans by the white population of Elgin, I might have had an impression similar to yours.

My middle class neighborhood in Phoenix has whites, blacks and hispanics all living together peacefully, I don't think you would find that too many places in Chicago even today.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
This thread really makes me sad. We are a very mixed bag up here and everyone we come across waves and says hello. Maybe we have not been here long enough to become miserable and I hope that never comes to light.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area