Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So where has it been determined that the protesters are illegal aliens? Some of them clearly were as they admitted as much, but quite a number of them are not. They are unquestionably within their rights to demonstrate about whatever they want including opposition to laws that would call for the deportation of their parents, siblings, and friends and relatives.
The kids I saw on TV stated they were illegal, and said they were not afraid of being deported. Of course not, when the attorneys had promised them that they wouldn't be.

Why weren't they deported? Because there was a deal made. They are here illegally; admitted it; and I don't think illegal aliens have a right to anything since they are here illegally. The rights in our country are for citizens, not people who are here illegally.

The whole thing was a farce, in my opinion; an attempt by politicians to hit Joe; that's all it was.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
I'll see your Joe and will raise you two consecutive governors of Illinois that are now both in prison.

I am glad to see your sheriff and Govenor stand up for what is right, and I will tell you there are a lot more like me and that will reflect good on your state.

Here in Illinois the producers are fleeing the state, it would be a great thing for Arizon to attract the producers and let the takers go someplace....maybe California would be a good start.
It goes both ways. Many people want to avoid this state as the Sheriff provides a poor image and gives the impression that Arizona is a redneck state. A lot of educated and intelligent people oppose illegal immigration and endorse reform but they don't endorse the crude language and the mannerism in which it is carried out. There is no need for racism, racial profiling and crude treatment. White collar executives and people starting companies want to raise their family in a state that doesn't have this image.

What upsets me is how some people try to turn this into an either/or proposition. If you oppose Sheriff Joe then you are automatically a liberal bleeding heart who welcomes illegal immigration and endorses breaking the law. That characterization annoys me. I'm sorry but you can oppose illegal immigration without resorting to bigotry and being a bully.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,711,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The kids I saw on TV stated they were illegal, and said they were not afraid of being deported. Of course not, when the attorneys had promised them that they wouldn't be.

Why weren't they deported? Because there was a deal made. They are here illegally; admitted it; and I don't think illegal aliens have a right to anything since they are here illegally. The rights in our country are for citizens, not people who are here illegally.

The whole thing was a farce, in my opinion; an attempt by politicians to hit Joe; that's all it was.
One of the news channels interviewed the protesters and many stated they were either a) illegal or b) had family/friends who were illegal with them.

I'm sure the ACLU has their team of lawyers backing the protesters. Not sure how the American Civil Liberties Union can protect individuals that are NOT America and therefore not entitled to our AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES.

I'm all for young people, who are legal residents, to PEACEFULLY demonstrate and express their beliefs. I have absolutely NO problem with that. These protesters are neither PEACEFUL and many are not LEGAL. I mean I don't even see what someone can defend if these kids are being disorderly, disrupting traffic, blocking streets...this is not a peaceful demonstration and this could get quite ugly if push comes to shove.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

Duh. It ain't news otherwise.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,617,082 times
There are many reasons to find fault on both areas but the fact is it's a public display for to all gawk at because Joe waved flags to get it done. He just likes the celeb status. He could do his job without all the hoopla, or the birther bs, but nooooo he likes it. He will be the reason we don't get anything done on immigration, not any other reason. He has made a mockery out of the real issue. Him and drunk granny Janet. I swear, it's not always the issues but who is presenting them that ruins the whole point. I really just throw my hands up and forget it now, it's been made into a circus by our states leaders and I'm not going to watch it anymore. I'm just biding time until the next elections and crossing my fingers that we get real people in there, whatever party they might be from.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There are many reasons to find fault on both areas but the fact is it's a public display for to all gawk at because Joe waved flags to get it done. He just likes the celeb status. He could do his job without all the hoopla, or the birther bs, but nooooo he likes it. He will be the reason we don't get anything done on immigration, not any other reason. He has made a mockery out of the real issue. Him and drunk granny Janet. I swear, it's not always the issues but who is presenting them that ruins the whole point. I really just throw my hands up and forget it now, it's been made into a circus by our states leaders and I'm not going to watch it anymore. I'm just biding time until the next elections and crossing my fingers that we get real people in there, whatever party they might be from.
Exactly, I'm tired of the drama. During the Republican debates, I thought Mitt Romney gave very compelling solutions to help combat illegal immigration. He didn't humiliate anyone in the process. He didn't use crude language. None of this solutions involved racial profiling. Why can't our Sheriff and governor behave in the same manner? A little more professionalism would be nice from our state leaders.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,725,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Entering the country illegally or remaining after a visa expires is not a crime - it is a civil violation, like a camera ticket. Doing so after you have been deported is a felony, though. Second timers were not mentioned in the announcement of who they were not going to deport the other day, so they better stay away from the protests.
Sounds like a case of PERFUMING THE PIG to me.

What about working "under the table" to avoid paying taxes or illegally applying for and/or receiving welfare such as Food Stamps and Healthcare or using fake and/or counterfeited documents to obtain employment, etc?

The list goes on and on . . .

Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM

There have been accusations of racial profiling, but no proof that I'm aware of.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sounds like a case of PERFUMING THE PIG to me.
I love it.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,923,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
You know, I love it. I just left Central Phoenix and there was a huge gathering at Civic Space Park... with about 10 bicycle cops observing.

People complain about people being apathetic about government, but when a bunch of young people take to action--they get upset because it blocks a street? Sweet jeebus. Go around in your air conditioned car and get on with your day.

I am thrilled these kids are standing up for what they believe in. Or would you rather they be sitting in front of their television on their Wii/X Box?

I have met many of the kids and they have more passion and heart than most everyone I have met.
I'd agree if those punks took their cause to Mexico. They deserve to be deported if here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area