Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 PM

235 posts, read 923,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Kind of sad in a way that people who live in the 'better' parts of Phoenix never say they actually live in Phoenix...they will say Ahwatukee, Arcadia, etc.
Why is this "sad" ? Every big city has distinct areas and neighborhoods that people identify with. You're from the Chicago area, is it "sad" that people in the city of Chicago will say they live in Beverly, Mount Greenwood, Lincoln Park or Edison Park ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
Why is this "sad" ? Every big city has distinct areas and neighborhoods that people identify with. You're from the Chicago area, is it "sad" that people in the city of Chicago will say they live in Beverly, Mount Greenwood, Lincoln Park or Edison Park ?
Is Biltmore just a neighborhood in PHX? I liked that area, but dont remember if it was just a neighborhood or legit satellite. Also, if its a neighborhood, in Chicago most people refer to what neighborhood they live in when talking to other Chicagoans (ie Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Old town, etc), but say "Chicago" when talking to any other.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 PM

235 posts, read 923,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Is Biltmore just a neighborhood in PHX? I liked that area, but dont remember if it was just a neighborhood or legit satellite. Also, if its a neighborhood, in Chicago most people refer to what neighborhood they live in when talking to other Chicagoans (ie Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Old town, etc), but say "Chicago" when talking to any other.
Yes, the Biltmore area is part of the City of Phoenix. I think most people who live in Arcadia or Ahwatukee would say they live in Phoenix when talking to out of towners, but be more specific when talking to locals.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM

371 posts, read 1,009,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
From my experience in living in the Valley for 17 years...people who live in the crappier Phoenix neighborhoods say they live in Phoenix...those who live in the better ones never say they live in Phoenix.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 PM

419 posts, read 1,526,410 times
I have a Tolleson address, but actually I'm just outside Scottsdale.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 PM

611 posts, read 2,310,180 times
Quote:
From my experience in living in the Valley for 17 years...people who live in the crappier Phoenix neighborhoods say they live in Phoenix...those who live in the better ones never say they live in Phoenix.
That's not true for us...it depends upon who we are talking with. If they are not from or familiar with AZ, we always say Phoenix. If they are familiar with AZ, then we say Peoria. If they're in or familiar with the Phoenix area, we say Vistancia.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
That's not true for us...it depends upon who we are talking with. If they are not from or familiar with AZ, we always say Phoenix. If they are familiar with AZ, then we say Peoria. If they're in or familiar with the Phoenix area, we say Vistancia.
True, but I've also found most people living east of I-17 actually say the town they live in first and Phoenix next if people don't know where they are talking about...whereas those west of I-17 say Phoenix first...granted the west side is changing but I'd rather say Phoenix than Peoria, Glendale, etc.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM

611 posts, read 2,310,180 times
Quote:
True, but I've also found most people living east of I-17 actually say the town they live in first and Phoenix next if people don't know where they are talking about...whereas those west of I-17 say Phoenix first...granted the west side is changing but I'd rather say Phoenix than Peoria, Glendale, etc.
You're funny! Our view of Peoria is better than Phoenix, so we'd rather say Peoria!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
You're funny! Our view of Peoria is better than Phoenix, so we'd rather say Peoria!
Yeah, I moved here after college and a brief stop in SoCal in 1990 and a LOT has changed of course...I don't think I ever ventured west of I-17 my first 5 years here until I got into sales and had to.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 PM

376 posts, read 491,287 times
Uh, no offense guys, but what does this have to do with Chicagoans?
Daaaaaaaaaaaaa Bears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area