Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,167,564 times

Advertisements

I just quit my job with the state government and came back home, to California. I just missed "life" in general as other posters have mentioned: friends, familiarity, etc. Not that I or anyone couldn't be happy or adjust, AZ just wasn't for me. And it wasn't a weather or pollution thing on my part, I am in the Imperial Valley which is CA's answer to Yuma.

I will say this, there is a massive cultural difference between CA and AZ that is very noticeable to people that are liberal or put off by pervasive gun culture and conservativism. But at the same time, I met many (almost everybody) peple who moved to PHX from elsewhere, and shared my political opinions...and these people enjoyed AZ and weren't affected by what personally bothered me. So, it is an individual issue. I also must say, 99% of the people I spoke with loved it and loved living there, which seemed remarkably high to me, but I am clearly in the minority and I think recommending AZ to others is solid since most people seem to be happy with it. I will also add that the job opportunities are very promising in PHX compared to CA.

My major caveat is that if you are Hispanic, the climate in Arizona is decidely different from CA. Yes, there are Hispanics there, but you don't see the large professional segment of it. There are a lot of Hispanics laboring in service and unskilled jobs, which is fine, but there isn't a large, visible Chicano or Hispanic American culture that influences the city as a whole, rather very small, localized influences on their negihborhoods. This is evidenced by politics, very segregated areas, lack of diversity outside of "bad" areas, etc. But again, this probably wouldn't be an issue for most people and again, many Hispanic people are happy in PHX and just accept the political climate as part of life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:12 PM

39,179 posts, read 51,499,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I just quit my job with the state government and came back home, to California. I just missed "life" in general as other posters have mentioned: friends, familiarity, etc. Not that I or anyone couldn't be happy or adjust, AZ just wasn't for me. And it wasn't a weather or pollution thing on my part, I am in the Imperial Valley which is CA's answer to Yuma.

I will say this, there is a massive cultural difference between CA and AZ that is very noticeable to people that are liberal or put off by pervasive gun culture and conservativism. But at the same time, I met many (almost everybody) peple who moved to PHX from elsewhere, and shared my political opinions...and these people enjoyed AZ and weren't affected by what personally bothered me. So, it is an individual issue. I also must say, 99% of the people I spoke with loved it and loved living there, which seemed remarkably high to me, but I am clearly in the minority and I think recommending AZ to others is solid since most people seem to be happy with it. I will also add that the job opportunities are very promising in PHX compared to CA.

My major caveat is that if you are Hispanic, the climate in Arizona is decidely different from CA. Yes, there are Hispanics there, but you don't see the large professional segment of it. There are a lot of Hispanics laboring in service and unskilled jobs, which is fine, but there isn't a large, visible Chicano or Hispanic American culture that influences the city as a whole, rather very small, localized influences on their negihborhoods. This is evidenced by politics, very segregated areas, lack of diversity outside of "bad" areas, etc. But again, this probably wouldn't be an issue for most people and again, many Hispanic people are happy in PHX and just accept the political climate as part of life there.
That bolded ^^ above is an excellent point and deserves to be repeated. In spite of the impression one might get from reading City Data threads, people you talk to here are overwhelmingly happy about living here. They tend to look at you like you're nuts if you dis Arizona living. Survey after survey done here shows a large majority enjoy the lifestyle and are very favorable about the city in which they live. I suppose that might be obvious as a city of millions doesn't double in size in ten years if everyone hates it and regrets the move.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That bolded ^^ above is an excellent point and deserves to be repeated. In spite of the impression one might get from reading City Data threads, people you talk to here are overwhelmingly happy about living here. They tend to look at you like you're nuts if you dis Arizona living. Survey after survey done here shows a large majority enjoy the lifestyle and are very favorable about the city in which they live. I suppose that might be obvious as a city of millions doesn't double in size in ten years if everyone hates it and regrets the move.
True. And, many of those people either like the political situation here; don't see it affecting their daily lives and therefore don't care; are blissfully unaware of it and just enjoy the lifestyle. Others, (myself included) chafe at the politics of recent years, but have built a life here, like lots of aspects of living here, and are not going to pull up stakes and go elsewhere for political reasons.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,144,569 times
So true, observer.

I actually did look into moving to San Diego this last move, which was what got me to register at this site last year, to research it. I have beefs with facets of AZ and facets of Mesa. But I decided it wasn't worth it to take a huge step down in quality of housing/neighborhood/schools, for what was mainly (to me) a better climate and better political/socio factors. Plus the thought of starting all over in finding good doctors, dentists, hair stylists, etc. was a big turn off. Maybe when I'm an empty nester I'll try CA (again, was born there).

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
I don't see any downside to Phoenix. There is crime and blight in areas but the same can be said for every large metro area in the United States. Think Phoenix is bad? Cruise the ghettos of Detroit, Chicago and Philly. Yeah, the summer can be brutal but I detest shoveling snow. Yeah, the political climate is awkward but as a libertarian I detest the politics everywhere.

I love Phoenix. Best place I ever lived and the 22 year quest to move here was well worth the payoff of being here.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,267,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post
massive legitimate greenery (moss growing on the trees!) fresh air, fresh water, etc.
There are pros and cons to every climate. While you may enjoy this, you may not enjoy the mold that grows everywhere, including window tracks, and can only be killed with 50/50 bleach and water, or power washed away. It was too much for me!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM

221 posts, read 600,932 times
The climate is so horrible here for 6 months of the year that one tends to forget how perfect it is the other 6 months.

There's no logical, rational, quantitative argument for one place over another. Go where you are happy.

I've tried to escape 3 times and come back after each one. I guess this is home.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Other than the "horrible for six months" part, I agree with you.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,761,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I don't see any downside to Phoenix. There is crime and blight in areas but the same can be said for every large metro area in the United States. Think Phoenix is bad? Cruise the ghettos of Detroit, Chicago and Philly. Yeah, the summer can be brutal but I detest shoveling snow. Yeah, the political climate is awkward but as a libertarian I detest the politics everywhere.

I love Phoenix. Best place I ever lived and the 22 year quest to move here was well worth the payoff of being here.
Welcome! I'm glad that you were persistent in your 22-year quest to move here!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 PM

344 posts, read 816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
The climate is so horrible here for 6 months of the year that one tends to forget how perfect it is the other 6 months.

There's no logical, rational, quantitative argument for one place over another. Go where you are happy.

I've tried to escape 3 times and come back after each one. I guess this is home.
Moderator cut: rude

Those who miss the weather of places like Portland, Seattle, etc. are those who prefer growing mushrooms in basements. Sure, if you want damp, cold, miserable weather this ain't the place. The heat here is (1) for a few months, (2) happens during very predictable parts of the day, where (3) it's usually easy to avoid via AC, if desired. Summers in most of the rest of the continent are just as bad actually, when factoring in humidity that is higher than that found during the mild version of Monsoon that we have here.

Not enough green here...please, give me a break that's funny.

This environment (and the SW in general including NM, Nevada, Cali) has it over most of the continent, actually. Phoenix also has excellent infrastructure, lots of space, is clean, relatively low crime, etc.

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area