Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM

90 posts, read 141,489 times

Advertisements

In light of some recent threads regarding the ups and downs of PHX, thought id throw in my 2 cents on the subject

Ive been here 6 years now (grew up in San Diego) and came here for cheap COL compared to soCal. Arizona has brought my wife and I plenty of great things (we've had 2 daughters here, met some good people, furthered our careers, owned a house, etc) but its more of a stepping stone for us. We have never gotten used to the heat, the constant dust everywhere, massive pollution, the crappy water, the bark scorpions, being #1 skin cancer area in the US (forcing you to wear sunblock) also the lack of legitimate foliage (everything is manicured to give you that false sense of green.. but if the irrigation water shut off everything would die except the few varieties of native xeriscaped plants)

Don't get me wrong though, I'm grateful for all AZ has brought us in the short time we've called it home.. but its not a place where I can foresee myself growing old and raising my kids.. the thought of having my kids grow up here depresses me honestly.

We are planning on relocating to Portland sometime this year, yes it rains a crap ton there, and is overcast majority of the year.. but its the total opposite of PHX.. but that's whats so compelling.. massive legitimate greenery (moss growing on the trees!) fresh air, fresh water, etc. When I imagine my kids growing up in an environment like that it makes me get all warm and fuzzy inside.

So take it for what its worth. Arizona is great for some, horrible for others, and a good stepping stone for a lot of families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Mullenium I understand exactly what you mean. I moved here 13 years ago (got a decent job offer) and was here two years before realizing that I did not want to make this my permanent place of residence. At the time my daughters were in elementary school and I was shocked to find out how low the state ranked in quality of education. Based on that (and a few other issues), I attempted to move my family away from the desert twice, but found myself moving back both times.
What I have noticed is that people live here for a number of years and then move. I have seen many of my friends come here, live for a minimum of seven years, and then move elsewhere. It's amazing that it has grown to become the fifth largest city in the nation!
I have come to appreciate the desert for what it is. Phoenix is a nice place and I love taking drives to Sedona, Flagstaff and the mountain cities and towns, especially in the summer! I have met many great friends here and some of my family have moved out here and love it. I, however, am still struggling with whether I have one more move in me? I plan to stay in the West, though, if a move does happen.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,888 times
that sums up a lot of my feelings of phoenix. It's beautiful, I've enjoyed my 6 years here. Like so many others I have plans to go back to somewhere with a more hospitable climate.

I have no regrets with my time here, and I do not wish I moved somewhere else instead. It's been a great experience that will offer a lot of fond memories.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Default I understand....

exactly where the writers of these posts are coming from. I've felt the same things but NOT about Arizona. Being born and raised here, and having my entire family here for the past 90 years, does make this 'home' for me. I've lived all over and the only place I never felt homesick for Arizona was Oregon. Living in MI, AK and ID all I could think of was coming home. NOT that I regret living in any of those places because each was an 'adventure' all it's own. My kids were all born and raised in Oregon so it's possible I was just too busy to get homesick!

Fifteen years ago I finally came home to stay. I see people relocating, in and out, constantly but I figure that's just life. People are so much more mobile than we used to be, new opportunities open up for us, we just want to try a 'new place', etc. etc....so many reasons for wanting to move and go to new places. Not every place is good for everybody and we ought to, probably, be thankful for that. If I ever start to feel unhappy with where I'm at I will consider moving again, but not out of state. Maybe back to the mountains... That is, if I'm not too old, tired and lazy to do it by then.

I was born in Phoenix but only lived there for short periods of time growing up. I'm not crazy about the place but I think that's because I remember how it was in "the old days". Just the traffic down there gives me the willies. lol I go to see family now and then but otherwise I just don't go. Guess I'm just too used to the Small Town, AZ lifestyle.

I think everyone should live where they are happy, or at least very content. It's a HUGE country and lots of places to choose from so nobody is required to live, or even like, any one place. Go, see, do and experience because life is short and we ought to enjoy the journey.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Move out while you can. I planned to stay in Phoenix for five years at the most while doing some career building. Now, it is forty years later. Life happens and those new roots grow and won't let go of you. My kids were born here like yours and THIS is home to them. I could not plead, beg, or pay them to leave their friends, school and all the things they know about Phoenix. Wife too. Her job she loves is here, her dearest friends are all from Phoenix now. She doesn't want to go back or forward to anywhere very far away. To them, it is not about weather, or heat, or dust but about where "life" is.

Me, I have always detested Phoenix, but I do love that it is in Arizona which, other than politically, is one of the very best places I have ever lived or visited for recreation, natural beauty, wide open spaces, and opportunity.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM

55 posts, read 110,061 times
My life has been split between New York and Arizona. I find myself missing each one for various reasons, depending on where I am at any point. I've now done two stints in each, or close enough - starting in New York, moving to Arizona, back to New York, and only days away from going back to Arizona. The reasons were different each time, and aren't important, really.

What I've come to realize, is that there is no place on earth that I am going to completely like and find myself trying to focus more on the positives so that the negatives aren't as apparent. What I've found, between the places I have lived and traveled, I will eventually find problems with anywhere. Not that I look for problems, but even the smallest things add up over time.

Unlike what Jimmy Buffet would have you believe, changes in latitude don't always result in changes in attitude.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I think everyone should live where they are happy, or at least very content. It's a HUGE country and lots of places to choose from so nobody is required to live, or even like, any one place. Go, see, do and experience because life is short and we ought to enjoy the journey.
Great framing of adventure and contentment!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times
Agreed. Although much of my childhood was here, until I was 9, we moved to northern CA. Then I came back here in 2008 because my husband was relocated to here by the Air Force. Frankly, we are just waiting for his contract to end so we can leave back to CA (or even OR). Just anywhere with more nature, slightly cooler weather, more lakes, and closer to the ocean. Plus, like a few others stated, I, too, am depressed about the idea of having my kids grow up here - it's just definitely not where I'd want them to grow up, from a political and educational standpoint of this state. So, I'm holding off pregnancy til we at least settle somewhere else in 2-3 years.

Either way though, this is a nice place to be temporarily. Hence why so many people come here seasonally. I'd much rather be here than somewhere where it's under 30 degrees for months on end. I just don't roll that way, and find cold weather way more suppressing. Plus, by living here, it's given us the chance to buy a home we could actually afford, with the intent to sell it when the market goes back up and leave to somewhere else with money in our account so we can start over. Which is nice, considering the military doesn't offer much to those that get out and making the transition back to civilian life isn't going to be a smooth trip financially.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
So far I like it here and would like to be here for the long haul. It's time to settle down and have a real career. I can't do that moving all the time. I'd like to not live here forever - not ready to pick one spot and be here forever. But with my husband's family here and us needing to work in one area for awhile. (Prior military, moving, etc) I'm not sure how we'll get out of here - it'll probably be a long time for us. I don't even know where else we'd go, to be honest. Where my family is, I don't like. Guess I'll just not worry about it

Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Great framing of adventure and contentment!
I think life is an adventure and many years ago I decided that being 'happy' was over rated. People expect to be 'happy' alllll the time. If I can be content with my life, then I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area