Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 PM

22 posts, read 67,770 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide to move to either Tucson or Phoenix. I lived in Austin, TX and loved the suburban feel to the big city. I currently live in the Kansas City area. Since moving here 3 years ago, I have had nothing but health problems. How is the pollution? How does the humidity compare to Austin? Can you get wide swings in temperature?

If I move to the area, I will be swimming at Phoenix Swim Club on E Cammelback. What areas are safe but not too expensive and far from where I will be swimming? Can you get around town using public transit? My soon to be ex bought a car 2 years ago after my car accident with my insurance money and a car that I dont know how to drive...so I will be carless til I get enough money to purchase a good used Honda.

Is Phoenix a good area to meet singles around the age of 40? I will be 39 in July. I am very laid back but conservative..what are the people like in Phoenix and Scottsdale areas?

I would appreciate any info you would like to share.

Thanks,

Karrah

Last edited by karrahs; 04-13-2012 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: adding more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM

35 posts, read 69,336 times
To answer some of your questions:

• There is a mini-trend of people from Tucson moving TO Phoenix. AZ natives who have seen both and prefer PHX

• Phoenix will be drier than Austin. Wide swings in temps are common as clear night skies allow heat release and sunshine is pretty good at warming things up.

• Was at Phoenix Swim Club couple of years ago and liked it. One area nearby you may like is Central Phoenix. Check out the area from Central Avenue east to AZ 51 and from McDowell Road north to Camelback Road. This is an improving area that is becoming somewhat trendy and is sometimes referred to as CenPho. Phoenix is NOT a good public transportation city but this area will be better. CenPho also offers more density and vibrancy if you are interested in that

Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,428,239 times
I have lived in Tucson and Phoenix...and have spent some time in Austin recently. If you like Austin then perhaps Tucson would be preferable. Downtown Austin - near the bat bridge - has a similar "feel" to it as Tucson does. I don't think Tucson has weathered the poor economy well at all... Even though I will always have a love for Tucson, I prefer Phoenix. I think it is evident when visiting that it has been hurt hard by the boom. Tucson has better Mexican food though and then, well, there is those Wildcats! Good luck!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 AM

846 posts, read 1,406,580 times
I have not spent great deals of time in Austin, so I cannot help you much there. However...

Can you get wide swings in temperature?
Yes

Re: Public Transportation
Honestly, I rode the bus for 6 years. That was all I had. I have a car now but still largely depend on public transportation due to gas costs and sharing a vehicle. I recommend living so you do not have to transfer for a bus. Walking can become intolerable in the heat. The bus stops are metal, if there is seating. I say to live where you do not have to transfer buses because they are not known to be dependable. Some do not operate more frequently than 1x an hour on the weekends. Be mindful of these things. You may have a car eventually, but these things are huge to keep in mind.

I live in CenPho and love it. I moved here for the public transportation (light rail).

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 AM

33 posts, read 48,338 times
Default Austin compared to Phoenix

I live in Austin and was born and raised in Phoenix. Re: the wild weather swings you asked about. Phoenix doesn't have them like Austin. I never knew the high for the day could be at 3 am and the low at 4 pm before I moved here. Phoenix's winter is much milder than Austin and has nowhere near the number cloudy days. The summers are hot but do not get as humid as Austin. Metro Phoenix is huge in size. I wouldn't advise moving there without a car.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 AM

777 posts, read 1,340,740 times
Austin is definitely humid, compared to Phoenix. God my memories... I hated Texas (and Oklahoma) in the summer. If you don't like humidity, Phoenix is a nice alternative from it. If you're use to humidity, Phoenix is still a nice break from it. ha.

As for public transportation, it's definitely around in Phoenix. Good way to save money for sure, as on top of gas these days, car insurance in Arizona is expensive. As summer gets here though, it will be exhaustive being outside too much waiting for the buses and walking and so on.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,351,229 times
Everyone will answer this differently. I tend to do better here. My allergies are worse in areas with high humidity and I haven't had trouble with the air in Phoenix like some people.

Please remember that asthma and air pollution are not directly correlated. It's true we have air pollution but Phoenix is ranked one of the lowest cities for Asthma however many critics of Phoenix will cite air pollution and then extrapolate that to include poor asthma which is not true. We are actually one of the lower ranked cities for asthma and while air pollution is ranked high here, our overall toxic/polluted city rankings among Forbes magazine was really low (not even top 20).

That being said, i don't see you being happy here. I love Phoenix but if air quality, pollution, and public transportation are high on your list, you might find yourself dreading this place. Have you considered Denver? The quality of air is good, they don't have wild temperature swings and it's dry. Denver is also more urban and pedestrian friendly than Phoenix. Denver also feels more conservative than Phoenix in my opinion. Denver is like Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin in that they are large cities with a suburban feel. For those reasons you might be happier there.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-14-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 04:37 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,779 times
Only thing I will add about the weather, is you dont get dust storms in Texas. For the most part its much better in phoenix, but a few days out of the year, youre going to get a dust storm before the annual sprinkle where you cant see 50 feet in front of you while driving. I recall after walking 2 minutes to the grocery store I was tasting it through my nose. They dont usually last that long, few hours tops, but if you have any breathing problems currently; You could have times where you might have to be flexible. The air here is clean, the ground is always dirty, Do not ever drink the water from the tap. (if you want to know why, fill a glass and let it sit for a week).

Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. I didnt mind the wide swings in temperatures in Austin. Its the swings in Kansas City that my body rejects. As for allergies, the Kansas City area has triggered food allergies that I never had in addition to very strange bacteria infections. Its so polluted here that I cant even drink Brita or Pur filtered water...I get stomach flu everytime. I have to drink only bottled Ozarka water.

Thanks for the info on public transit. I may have to start off without a car. As for the heat, my body gets cold so easily that it craves high temps. I even get cold when its in the low 80s!!

Karrah

Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Is Scottsdale far from where I will be swimming? What are the people like in Scottsdale? What are the median rents be like in Central Phoenix, North Phoenix or Scottsdale for a 1 bedroom? Would it be safe for a single female to live in an apartment?

How expensive is car insurance if I were to get a car? I will be working from home. I run a sports business and teach swim & piano lessons.

Karrah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area