Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,758,009 times

Advertisements

Good choice. I think it is a beautiful spot in AZ. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM

35 posts, read 119,463 times
Great choice in choosing Anthem. I felt the same way as your wife when I first drove into Anthem. My husband and I just closed on our winter home this April. We will be here for six months in the winter and six months in WA. The people are very friendly. Congrats on your move and the best to you and your family. :-)

Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM

12 posts, read 27,832 times
Congratulations. My husband and children moved from SC to Anthem last August. We love it and my son 17 and daughter 12 have adjusted greatly. We did visit in April and June which the "heat" was nothing. Though when we actually moved it was August and yes it was HOT though to tell you the truth packing the truck in SC was hotter then unloading it in Arizona. I do not miss the humidity. Best of luck!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 PM

25 posts, read 58,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
The husband and I just moved out here from the East coast in December. He was also transfered here. I love, love, love it here!!!

We live in Scottsdale and haven't seen any scorpions yet but have had three MONSTER cockroaches in our apartment. Ewwwwwww!!!

Next month we'll be moving up near the McDowell mountains. I suspect we'll be trading in the cockroaches for the scorpions.

Too me, it's worth it. I'd rather have disgusting bugs than snow!! We're from Syracuse and I'd NEVER go back!!

Sue
Get sticky traps like the flat black traps used for mice or even Black Flag roach motels, which are also sticky. They're best for dealing with either roaches or scorpions.
My wife and I are looking to relocate from the Boston area to Phoenix as soon as she can get a transfer, and we learned thru reviews of glue traps on Amazon that they're excellent for catching scorpions. :-)

Can't wait to experience that new chapter in our lives :-)

Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,995,263 times
Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes. The move planning continues, and so will the updates!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 PM

Wow...almost a month since I updated this thread! Time flies...

We are now at moving day minus 19!

It's been stressful to say the least, so much so that's taking some of the fun out of this move. Unfortunately we're doing this on our dime (so far) so we've had to go as low cost as possible. The plan (until today...keep reading...) was to rent a Budget truck, load up myself, the wife, a 2 year old a 4 year old and a 16 year old (all girls...God help me) into our Town & Country and make a 5-day road trip to AZ from PA. Our adult son and a friend were going to drive the truck, possibly towing my brand new Elantra behind it. I know...insanity...but our options are limited. I had gotten estimates from movers, PODS, and ABF for moving. Movers are out of the question and PODS is almost as much. ABF was about $1k more than the truck rental after I factor in fuel, food, hotel rooms for the guys, etc. So today I get this inspiration to call ABF and ask for a better price. And they did it!!!! We will still have to do the road trip (maybe, again read on...) but now I don't have to worry about the rental truck caravan across the country. I might have my son drive the Elantra though. After I got this good news, more came. My boss emailed me and told me that his boss is meeting with HR tomorrow to pitch reimbursement for my moving expenses. If that happens we may be flying and shipping the cars instead of driving. So all you City-Data-ers, please...cross your fingers, say a prayer, sacrifice a chicken or whatever you think might help the casue tomorrow!

Updates to follow.....

Last edited by johnp292; 06-06-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post

It's been stressful to say the least, so much so that's taking some of the fun out of this move. Unfortunately we're doing this on our dime (so far) so we've had to go as low cost as possible. The plan (until today...keep reading...) was to rent a Budget truck, load up myself, the wife, a 2 year old a 4 year old and a 16 year old (all girls...God help me) into our Town & Country and make a 5-day road trip to AZ from PA. Our adult son and a friend were going to drive the truck, possibly towing my brand new Elantra behind it. I know...insanity...but our options are limited. I had gotten estimates from movers, PODS, and ABF for moving. Movers are out of the question and PODS is almost as much. ABF was about $1k more than the truck rental after I factor in fuel, food, hotel rooms for the guys, etc. So today I get this inspiration to call ABF and ask for a better price. And they did it!!!! We will still have to do the road trip (maybe, again read on...) but now I don't have to worry about the rental truck caravan across the country. I might have my son drive the Elantra though. After I got this good news, more came. My boss emailed me and told me that his boss is meeting with HR tomorrow to pitch reimbursement for my moving expenses. If that happens we may be flying and shipping the cars instead of driving. So all you City-Data-ers, please...cross your fingers, say a prayer, sacrifice a chicken or whatever you think might help the casue tomorrow!

Updates to follow.....
Just a word of caution from someone who has moved quite a bit. Please pack your stuff tightly if you use ABF as they fill the trucks with cargo from all over the nation along the route. We have used them and each time ended up unloading broken or damaged furniture. I'll take the blame, but just wanted to make sure that if you use them secure your materials so there is NO WIGGLE ROOM! Also, ask if a ramp comes with the truck or if you'll have to rent one.

In any event, I know you're going to like it out here and wish you and your family well. As for sacrificing the chicken, I gotcha covered...going to KFC later!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM

56 posts, read 161,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post

Updates to follow.....
We used ABF (Upack) to move our stuff from WA to Anthem. It went well..but we hired help on this end to pack the stuff properly, PLUS we bought several ratchet tie-downs and used them in layers throughout. All of our stuff arrived in one piece..just a small scratch on the washing machine (our fault)..but not a big deal! Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,134,827 times
I'm having flashbacks of my move back from PA to AZ. *shiver*

Good luck! My company wound up paying my moving expenses, too! Though I didn't find out til later so I did it on a dime.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird2B View Post
We used ABF (Upack) to move our stuff from WA to Anthem. It went well..but we hired help on this end to pack the stuff properly, PLUS we bought several ratchet tie-downs and used them in layers throughout. All of our stuff arrived in one piece..just a small scratch on the washing machine (our fault)..but not a big deal! Good Luck!
I'm doing the same thing, hiring help to load and unload. The ratchet tie-downs are a good idea, I'll have to look into getting some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area