Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,006,462 times

Advertisements

T minus 18.

Ups and downs today. Got an email from my VP that he thouight he made progress getting us some moving $$$. Elation. Then got a phone call at the end of the business day from the same VP that he's still trying but we should plan on no $$$ for now. Just listed one of my prized posessions on eBay. Depression.

Goolsbyjazz, please sacrifice another chicken. It almost worked!

The saga continues.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Default T-5 Days

Well here we are, 5 days away from the Big Move. The trailer gets dropped here tomorrow, loaded on Sunday and picked up on Monday. Then we pack up into our minivan and head west with our 21 y/o son and his friend driving my brand new car behind us (ask me if I'm nervous).

5 days later and after a brief side trip to the Canyon we hope to arrive in our new home. Hopefully still sane and healthy. We will get there at least several days before our stuff so we'll be sleeping on blow up beds and eating off paper plates for a little while.

Panic is setting in...we are not ready to leave yet and we have a lot of packing to do and only a few more days to do it...so I better get off the computer!

No promises...but maybe I'll try to post some comments as we make the drive. Keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited by johnp292; 06-20-2012 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,743,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Well here we are, 5 days away from the Big Move. The trailer gets dropped here tomorrow, loaded on Sunday and picked up on Monday. Then we pack up into our minivan and head west with our 21 y/o son and his friend driving my brand new car behind us (ask me if I'm nervous).

5 days later and after a brief side trip to the Canyon we hope to arrive in our new home. Hopefully still sane and healthy. We will get there at least several days before our stuff so we'll be sleeping on blow up beds and eating off paper plates for a little while.

Panic is setting in...we are not ready to leave yet and we have a lot of packing to do and only a few more days to do it...so I better get off the computer!

No promises...but maybe I'll try to post some comments as we make the drive. Keep your fingers crossed!
I have been where you are! I'm sure things will work out fine. Just keep packing and planning and enjoy the cross-country drive! You will arrive in July, our hottest month, so everything from there will be downhill. (well, not exactly, it will still be plenty hot!) Good luck to you and your family on your new venture and we welcome you to Arizona.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,655,043 times
Quote:

I was in your same position almost exactly one year ago. I had until June 15th to get everything packed, my daughter moved, the truck loaded and everything ready to go. It was hell getting all that done but once I was on the road, all my troubles went away because I made it a fun trip.
Don't worry about all the stuff to do when you get here. It will still be here when you arrive, no need to drive yourself crazy worrying.
Drive safe, eat well, enjoy the views, stop and smell the roses. Nothing will change if you have some fun.
Enjoy the Grand Canyon. Make sure you make it to the Mary Colter castle thing. The best views anywhere.
Have fun and keep us updated on your progress.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Post T-3

The big day is almost here. The trailer is in the driveway. I sure hope it fits on the street when it gets to Anthem! Took all my tropical fish to the fish store today. One more day of packing tomorrow, and hopefully we'll be ready when the loaders get here Sunday morning. Actually only a half-day, our 4 year old has her dance recital Saturday, that's the only reason we didn't leave a week ago when school ended. Then a final clean-up, a night of sleeping on inflatable mattresses and Monday morning we hit the road. Our three adult daughters and my grandson are coming for a final visit before we leave on Sunday...that will be rough for everyone. I'm hoping we can get them out to AZ for the holidays.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,743,603 times
Quote:
The big day is almost here. The trailer is in the driveway. I sure hope it fits on the street when it gets to Anthem! Took all my tropical fish to the fish store today. One more day of packing tomorrow, and hopefully we'll be ready when the loaders get here Sunday morning. Actually only a half-day, our 4 year old has her dance recital Saturday, that's the only reason we didn't leave a week ago when school ended. Then a final clean-up, a night of sleeping on inflatable mattresses and Monday morning we hit the road. Our three adult daughters and my grandson are coming for a final visit before we leave on Sunday...that will be rough for everyone. I'm hoping we can get them out to AZ for the holidays.
Hey, I have a dance teacher for your daughter in Anthem when you arrive!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,773,878 times
Please do check in with the forum when you arrive. People really do care and I hope you have a safe and fun filled drive over. Enjoy.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM

27 posts, read 86,508 times
We just made this same trip moving from Michigan to BHC. Took a 20 ft Uhaul and our family vehicle. Left on a Saturday afternoon and arrived on Tuesday about noon local time. Smooth trip and spent about 1200 in gas for both trucks. Good luck and have a safe trip. Arizona is so awesome compared to the Midwest/East summer weather. 110 feels about 85 so dont get psyched out by the number on the thermometer.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM

We are well on our way, and the trip so far hasn't been bad (I'm writing this from Missouri). But the prep was a nightmare! The company isn't helping, and the cost of the movers ended up doubling over the original estimate! We completely filled a trailer and had to have a second one delivered on Monday, delaying our departure by a day. We stopped in Indiana last night and tomorrow its on to Texas and then Friday we'll go on to AZ. We should be at our new home Saturday night. We won't have our stuff until after the 4th, and possibly longer (due to the added cost...I might have to delay delivery). We were planning on being without our belongings for a few days, we are bringing lots of clothes and air mattresses, but now we may be "camping out" in our house longer than expected. We're still excited about the move and the drive so far hasn't been bad. The kids have been great after 2 days in the car (thank God for the new in vehicle DVD systems!). Stay tuned...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,655,043 times
Clothes? You don't need no stinking clothes. This is Arizona. Shorts, flip flops, a few t-shirts, add water and you're good for a couple weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area