Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Im just an ordinary grocery store person. Too bad they dont have a Winn-Dixie or Piggly Wiggly out here.
Actually, I have a friend who works at Albertsons and he says he shops elsewhere because of prices.
But again, I go where the (good) weekly sales are. I dont do any of those 'health-food' stores or go into a store for groceries where they have that 'mood lighting' highlighting cookware, housewares, kitchen stuff, etc. If I need a pan or a dish towel, I'll go to Target. Food City or Bashas is just as good as Safeway or Stater Bros, as far as Im concerned. For me, its about where the best deals for the week are, Im not too proud to save a few bucks.
Funny you mentioned Stater Bros------they remind me of Basha's.

And; not many people realize that AJ's Fine Foods, Basha's and Food City are all the same company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 02:34 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,910,675 times
I don't have a preference to one particular grocery store, but I shop at Fry's, Albertson's, Sprouts and Basha's.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't have a preference to one particular grocery store, but I shop at Fry's, Albertson's, Sprouts and Basha's.
Albertsons here; my second choice would be any of the other listed grocery chains with Wal-Mart as a last resort.

Now; do not even mention Costco to me: I get in trouble there fast!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,282,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Funny you mentioned Stater Bros------they remind me of Basha's.

And; not many people realize that AJ's Fine Foods, Basha's and Food City are all the same company
He-he, just like the high-end cosmetics - everything comes out of the same factory line packaged for different markets at different prices.

There's hardly any grocery store left... Everybody offers "experience" and "mood lighting." If I want that, I'd go to a night club. When I go to a grocery store, I'd rather actually have good lighting, so I can see what the heck I'm buying and don't need heavy mark-up for those frills. It's OK to have some stores like this for whoever has money to burn, but the rest of us need some plain grocery stores. Fry's was one of them, but they moved in the same direction. Some stores of the same chain have very different look and feel in different locations, though.

Albertson's was the last grocery store to adopt the annoying gimmick cards and the first one to do away with them. Safeway's become very pricey, too. Again, I feel no need for greetings and stupid questions at every aisle. Would prefer better prices. I love Trader Joe's. The problem is you can't do all your shopping there. Some of their items are very good and very reasonably priced, some are way overpriced and the selection is limited, and I can't stand their soda.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,282,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Now; do not even mention Costco to me: I get in trouble there fast!
Who doesn't...? Only picking a few things amounts to at least a $100. A shopping trip for a family would most likely cost $200-400. It was funny to read some article claiming Costco's a store for the lower middle class...whatever that is nowadays. Aha! Their food is of very good quality, though. I don't go there anymore because it doesn't make sense for one person, but I'm yet to find replacements for some items. However, the warehouse "experience" doesn't appeal to me.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 64,293 times
There's also a Wild Oats around 40th St. and Camelback.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:44 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,216,389 times
I will have to check out Sprouts. I've driven past there just thought it was just a produce market I found their online ad and looks like they have some good prices.

That "mood lighting and carp" at grocery stores-agree. One of the Fry's I went into out here (cant remember which one) when I was travelling last year sometime was a perfect example of carp. I was looking for simple things like coffee, iced tea and toilet paper lol. It took me 15 minutes just to find my way out of the part of the store that looked more like Target with all the household gadgets and dishes and chairs and appliances and assorted other stuff. It was way overdone. I finally found a sales clerk lol and had to ask where the coffee was. ;0

The stores in Ohio were starting to get on that bandwagon. By the time they put in the inside video store, the childrens play area, the bank, the pharmacy, the dr's office (some of them lol!), the eyeglass place, the florist shop, the restaurant, the Starbucks, the 38434873482374873 gift cards for every store imaginable.....oh and on the side they actually had some food lol!

I like Costco but until my son gets here it is just me. So I need to be careful. 100 rolls of bath tissue would last me like a year. With my son around, it would last only about a month and make a lot more sense lol! I plan to do some entertaining around the holidays and will hit Costco then.

Next week I will check out Sprouts. And find an Albertson's to see what they are about.

PS I found the Wild Oats on Raintree. I had to go to Kohls today and it is just a few doors down.

Tho here is my AZ question of the day: I really like these ginormous 2 block huge strip mall things as there are a lot of stores and a lot of variety. But the trick then becomes remembering what is at which strip and where exactly in those 2 blocks it is located lol!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:44 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxtoFla View Post
There's also a Wild Oats around 40th St. and Camelback.
That's right! I always forget about that one.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,321,729 times
AJ's all the way!

Great selection of fine meat and produce!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 39,395 times
As far as I can tell, Safeway is very, very expensive. Albertson's is less expensive than Safeway. The whole foods analogues, whatever you call them, are even more expensive than Safeway. I don't know from Basch's and Fry's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area