Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times

Advertisements

really have no idea about humidity until you've been to the south.

Not the whole south. I had a great Summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breyau View Post
CactusJumper you are sooo right! You desert rats really have no idea about humidity until you've been to the south. I lived in Dallas for awhile which had its bad days, but I have spent the past two years in Houston, and let me tell you- Phoenix heat is nothing compared to the heat + humidity here. At least in Phoenix when you get out of the shower- you're not sweating ten minutes later.
Ten minutes later? Don't you mean immediately?

We stayed at a friends' home in Mississippi one time, and they didn't have AC. We were sweating immediately after our showers. Even our towels couldn't help us get dry! We lived in GA and MS, and thank God our homes had AC when we lived in both those places!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoLucky View Post
interesting piece here:

Why I Live in Arizona

but yet...why do YOU live in Arizona?
Thanks for posting that link!

Marshall Trimble was a teacher of mine at Coronado High School (Southwest History class) in the early 70's. Great teacher, great guy!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 AM

338 posts, read 1,624,740 times
Because my parents moved out here when I was a little kid so I had no choice. I do like it out here though. Arizona is a beautiful state and it is my home sweet home.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,568 times
Beautiful weather 10 months out of the year, only 2 months of stiffling heat! We moved from Washington State where it was 2 months of decent weather and 10 months of cold. It rained, sprinkled, drizzled and snowed all year long. Clouds and dark weather. Depressing. Here it's sun with occassional fluffy clouds and bright beautiful days!

Love to be able to sit outside and enjoy the patio all year long and the pool most of the year.

Barbecues whenever the mood strikes us.

Beautiful sunsets ALL the time.

If I miss the snow, I can just drive up to it and then leave it behind.

Out of state friends come often to get out of the cold, wet depressing weather.

My parents are snowbirds and come down every Winter.

Easy drive to Vegas when we want to do some gambling and enjoy some night life.

Lots of diversity. Learning about different cultures.

Better traffic - You can actually move on the freeways. But you don't even have to drive in it if you don't want to, because everything you need is close by because unlike Washington people seem to think driving 5 miles for something is too far, so all the basics are available at least every mile. Unless you are outside of the Phoenix metro area of course, because there we have a lot of wide open spaces and desert landscape and beautiful hills (but they are called Mountains here).

A LOT less road rage. People aren't constantly being shot for driving the speed limit in the slow lane and you can usually see the headlights of the person behind you because they aren't right up against your bumper. (Although, honestly, I don't usually drive the speed limit, and it's NOT because I'm driving slower ) That's another thing...if you are driving sanely and you aren't constantly changing lanes or riding someones backside, you can get away with speeding. Unless you are on the 101 in Scottsdale, but even then you won't get your picture taken unless you are driving 11 mph over the speed limit.

Most of our out of state friends plan to move down here to retire in a few years.

Basically we moved here because of the weather. We are staying here because it is now our home. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus jumper View Post
I was raised here and Ive lived in a lot of different places . but the Desert keeps calling me home. I could list a million reasons but I will spare you.
To you people who complain about the "humidity" in August......try living in Houston, Oklahoma City, Dallas/Fort Worth or even Japan for a summer, then, you will know what humidity is REALLY like.
Humidity in August? I stepped off the plane in Chicago a few times in August and almost choked.

And I'm from that area... imagine that.

There is no humidity here (for me). Maybe more than before, but not compared to a nice hundred degree steamer on the banks of the Potomac River.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
and beautiful hills (but they are called Mountains here).
That would make a good movie story, don't you think?
I got an idea for the title too:
"The Yankee Girl Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain"

I am new to this State but I can tell that there are so many things to like here yet only a few things to really dislike, that is more than what I could say about the place I used to live.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That would make a good movie story, don't you think?
I got an idea for the title too:
"The Yankee Girl Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain"

I am new to this State but I can tell that there are so many things to like here yet only a few things to really dislike, that is more than what I could say about the place I used to live.
Cute TurcoLoco.

I totally agree with you. I was surprised to read so many negatives because I see so many positives.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
Quote:
I've been in Houston late in the summer and one time in October and I know what it's like. I've also been in Michigan and Ohio in June, the temperature was in the uppper 80's or low 90's, but the humidity was WAY up there and it felt worse than 110 degrees!
I will second this. I just recently moved here from Cleveland. Try 90' with 95% humidity. It is icky. Then try 20' below zero with a few feet of dirty, icy, wet stuff under your feet. Awful. And the worst part about Cleveland weather is "wait 5 minutes, it will change". No kidding. Earlier this year, on a given Sunday I walked to the shopping Mall. It was a comfortable not humid in the 80's and sunny. I wore shorts and a tshirt. People were out grilling and playing baseball in the park. By Tuesday we had 2 feet of snow and it was 14'. I will take 110' any day.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 234,564 times
Hubby got relocated from LA, besides the inhumane heat, I dont mind it much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area