Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

13 posts, read 16,127 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that I don't necessarily have to live in Cartwright. I hear that Tempe's really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,286,866 times
It is .... You may also like the central corridor which would be a little closer

Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
I am biased, I love Tempe, but it'd be a pretty long commute to Cartwright district. Central corridor would be a good option.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 AM

13 posts, read 16,127 times
I know that with traffic and everything spaced apart that it'll take longer to get to places, but according to Google maps Tempe is closer to Cartwright than Central Corridor. Am I looking at the wrong thing? Is there anything closer that would be safe as well? Thanks for all your input!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,144,569 times
I think you're looking at the wrong thing. Here's a google map of 'cartwright school district in phoenix'. Zoom out to show the whole metro area. Central corridor is kind of mid-Phoenix (the word on the map anyway).

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM

131 posts, read 346,574 times
I have some friends in Avondale that really like it there, around 107th ave and the i10. I personally dont live there, I am out in Scottsdale but when I visit it doesn't seem to bad of an area. Also looks to only be 8 to 10 miles from Cartwright school district.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM

I live next door in Goodyear and wouldn't recommend Avondale - especially given her situation and some of the things she's looking for

I would probably recommend central corridor, arrowhead and then tempe in that order ........ in part because coming from tempe you have to clear the tunnel and face some real rush hour commute to get to/from work

I like the SW suburbs, but would avoid them as a young single person new to the area ........ if I were to land in the SW suburbs I would probably pick a couple places over that particular section of Avondale

The other spots would have more apartment options, a little bit more "single person infrastructure" ... central & tempe would have light rail access ........ plus you'd have the museums and sports/music venues that go along the line with only a short jog out to westgate in glendale

there are some differences though so a lot will come down to wht she's looking for and who knows, maybe a sleepy suburb is what is preferred ..... if so there are plenty within reach

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong thing. Here's a google map of 'cartwright school district in phoenix'. Zoom out to show the whole metro area. Central corridor is kind of mid-Phoenix (the word on the map anyway).
Good idea

The area I'm referencing is roughly between 7th ave and 7th street ... pretty much from downtown up to the Camelback area

You probably wouldn't even need to mess with getting on the freeway from most locations

To get to tempe from the cartwright district you have to go past that section, past the airport and then into Tempe so it is a bit longer and you would be pretty much tied to the freeway for least part of it

Which may or may not be a big deal to you ...... I'm on the freeway every morning and consider it just part of the job ....... both locations are definitely fine and I wouldn't knock tempe, especially for someone new to the area in their early 20s

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,144,569 times
She's said several things that make me think a smaller town or more 'bedroom community' feel might be better. You won't find small town here, at least not in commuting distance. But a suburb might be less likely to cause culture shock than Central Corridor?

scoba- What was culture shock about Portland? The size? The weather? The attitudes?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoba View Post
Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that I don't necessarily have to live in Cartwright. I hear that Tempe's really nice.
If the Cartwright district is in Maryvale, I would highly suggest NOT living around there. Maryvale is widely known as a high crime area. You'd be better off living further west or further east of there. If you want a quieter suburban location, you might consider Avondale, Goodyear, or Litchfield Park in the west Valley.

East of there is getting more into central Phoenix, and that's pretty hit & miss as far as good areas ... but most of central Phoenix is still better than Maryvale. Downtown and the Central Corridor areas are where you will find most of the big city activity ... so if you're more into the simple things (WalMart, Taco Bell, etc.), that may not be for you.

Tempe would probably be too much of a commute from your school district. Besides, a good part of Tempe north of the 60 freeway is heavily dominated by college students who attend ASU. Not a bad area, just a lot of younger twenty somethings who like to party. South Tempe, on the other hand, is typical suburbia, but still an even further commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area