Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM

50 posts, read 291,691 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the USA. All climates. Seen it all. Chose to retire here. All places have their pros and cons. The most nearly perfect places to live are unaffordable to most of us. Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would have chosen a location nearer the center of Phoenix - because of the sprawl. I'll take the heat over the cold. We live in a place that other people travel to on vacation.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Except for most municipal workers including Teachers, Firefighters, and PD.

That's not "most municipal workers". I haven't checked them all, but I strongly suspect that most people who are employed by cities and school districts in the Valley (school district employees are not "municipal employees") are NOT covered by union contracts.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's not "most municipal workers". I haven't checked them all, but I strongly suspect that most people who are employed by cities and school districts in the Valley (school district employees are not "municipal employees") are NOT covered by union contracts.
I would like to have more of a unionized workforce here.

I know there are plusses and minusses to organized labor but I see the Phoenix area as a little too underpaid in most employment fields, I think a stronger union presence would help that.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I would like to have more of a unionized workforce here.

I know there are plusses and minusses to organized labor but I see the Phoenix area as a little too underpaid in most employment fields, I think a stronger union presence would help that.
Union?!! I hear what you're saying, but good luck with that out here!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
With the closure of a lot of the copper mines, the union presence here decreased substantially. CWA, UFCW, SEIU, and AFSCME to a lesser degree, all have representation here, but it certainly is different than it used to be.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
With the closure of a lot of the copper mines, the union presence here decreased substantially. CWA, UFCW, SEIU, and AFSCME to a lesser degree, all have representation here, but it certainly is different than it used to be.
I remember the days when the copper miners were constantly striking. Lots of unrest, uncertainty, and work not getting done. Those who crossed the picket lines to earn an honest living were heavily threatened, and met with violence. I don't miss those days at all in that regard. Those who want more of a unionized presence in the workforce should find somewhere else to live. Many of us like it just fine without a huge union representation.

Also, the reason for the low pay scales is not due to lack of unions. A lot of it is because of the lack of national & global competition, and the lack of reputable firms headquartered here. Many people still think of Phoenix as little more than a big retirement city ... and others seem to think a mediocre salary is just fine to get by on here without much incentive to improve their education or skills. Most large companies are looking for people who are skilled, hard working, dedicated, and educated. They don't want people looking for little more than sunshine and a place to retire.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,974 times
Was just with some people from FLA and Pennsylvania and they were really liking Arizona. I cautioned them that the nice weather will soon leave us and make way for the heat of hades! Although Phx is a large city, it doesn't have the same "buzz" surrounding it of many of the other large cities. However, people are still moving here. What do you think the draw is?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,649,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Was just with some people from FLA and Pennsylvania and they were really liking Arizona. I cautioned them that the nice weather will soon leave us and make way for the heat of hades! Although Phx is a large city, it doesn't have the same "buzz" surrounding it of many of the other large cities. However, people are still moving here. What do you think the draw is?
Exactly that! No buzz, relaxed, no pressure. You can do whatever you want and nobody cares, we have great weather, no stress.

It's like the difference in a woman who always cares what she looks like, adds a bunch of accessories and has surgery to make herself really good looking so she stands out, vs the woman who is just naturally healthy and good looking without trying.

We have natural gifts that make us a great place to live. Sunshine, no real natural disasters, plenty of elevation and mountains to visit close by and a relaxed bunch of people. I think some people get annoyed that we don't care, but we don't. Why should we? Why would the natural girl care when she is already getting plenty of offers? We don't care because we don't need to care.

When thousands of people start leaving here a year and nobody moves here in droves anymore we might care then. We might need some makeup. But that aint happening. Were crowded, lucky we have plenty of growing room.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM

621 posts, read 1,338,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
This thread is going to attract nothing but negative replies. It might as well be closed. Yes, Phoenix is hot If you don't like the heat(some of us do) then don't come here. Simple as that.
I think it's a good thread........And AZ heat is better than DFW heat for sure.....

Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM

755 posts, read 678,709 times
The only con is intense heat....but that doesn't bother me, you adust. I lived in LA (San Fran Valley, San Gabe valley, and the South Bay) for 20 years, and the thing I miss is the cooling off of hot summer days during the evening (like last week....wow, very nice). Other than that, Phoenix has the best weather next to LA. The reason people don't like Phoenix is because of perception (year round heat, red necks, illegals, and old people) not reality or they just don't make the necessary changes that make AZ AZ. You can't make it LA, NY, or Chi, you have to make it AZ! Hiking, Skiing, Laking (new word), Fishing, Camping, off roading, et al; and light cosmopolitan things like shopping, dining, museums/arts, culture events, and bar hopping..... If you can do this, your quality of life becomes a STEAL for the cost!!

One other con is getting more friends and family to move out here.

Like the above poster says; as long as it doesn't affect our overall growth financially, who cares, that is their loss.

SE= Humidity and bugs
NE=Blizzards and run downed infrastructure
Midwest=really?!
Rockies=ISOLATION!!
NW=Rain and Gloom
SW: (AZ and her bordering states)= Best landscape and climate in the country. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area